- Volume 31 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effects of Agrimoniae Herba 30% ethanol extract on LPS-induced inflammatory responses in RAW264.7 macrophage cells
선학초(仙鶴草)추출물의 대식세포에서의 LPS-유도 염증반응에 대한 효능 연구
- Received : 2016.02.21
- Accepted : 2016.03.25
- Published : 2016.03.30
Objectives : The aerial parts of Agrimonia pilosa Ledeb (Agrimoniae Herba; AH) has been traditionally used as a Korean medicine to treatment of abdominal pain, sore throat, headaches, bloody discharge, parasitic infections and eczema. In this study, we investigated the effect of AH ethanol extract on lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-induced inflammation in RAW264.7 macrophage cells.Methods : AH was extracted by 30% ethanol (AH-E). Raw264.7 cells were treated with AH-E extract at different concentrations for 30 min and then stimulated with LPS (1㎍/㎖) or without for indicated times. Cell viability was measured by MTT assay, and nitric oxide (NO) production was measured by Griess assay. The expression of inflammatory mediators, iNOS and COX-2 and inflammatory cytokines, TNF-α, IL-1β, and IL-6 was detected by RT-PCR, and the phosphorylation of ERK1/2, p38 and JNK MAP kinases (MAPKs) was analyzed by Western blot. Also, the expression of NF-κB in nuclear and cytosol was detected by Western blot.Results : AH-E extract significantly decreased LPS-induced NO production in RAW264.7 cells. AH-E extract inhibited the mRNA expression of iNOS, COX-2, TNF-α, IL-1β, and IL-6 in LPS-stimulated cells with a dose-dependent manner. In addition, the phosphorylation of ERK, p38 and JNK MAPKs was also inhibited by AH-E extract. AP-E extract inhibited the nuclear translocation of NF-κB in LPS-stimulated cells.Conclusions : Our results suggest that AH-E extract has an anti-inflammatory activity in macrophages-mediated inflammation.
Agrimonia pilosa Ledeb;30% ethanol extract;anti-inflammation;RAW264.7 cells
- Boguniewicz M, Leung DYM. Atopic dermatitis. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2006 ; 117(Suppl) : 475-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaci.2005.10.018
- Kapoor R, Menon C, Hoffstad O, Bilker W, Leclerc P, Margolis DJ. The prevalence of atopic dermatitis in children with physician-confirmed atopic dermatitis. J Am Acd Dermatol. 2008 ; 58 : 68-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaad.2007.06.041
- Buske-Kirschbaum A, Gierens A, Hollig H, Hellhammer DH. Stress-induced immunomodulation is altered in patients with atopic dermatitis. J Neuroimmunol. 2002 ; 129 : 161-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-5728(02)00168-6
- Charman CR, Williams HC. The use of corticosteroid and corticosteroid phobia in atopic dermatitis. Clin in Dermatol. 2003 ; 21 : 193-200. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0738-081X(02)00368-1
- Hong CE. Pediatrics. Seoul : Daehan Publisher. 1994 : 1066-7.
- Ha YT. A Study on Combination of Topical Jachobokhabbang (JBB) and Internal Hwangtogamibang (HTGMB) for the Treatment of Atopic Dermatitis. Daejeon Univ. 2009.
- Park SN. Effect of Sopungsan in BALB/c Mouse Model of Atopic Dermatitis. Kyunghee Univ. 2004.
- Cha KB, Kim YS, Seol IC. Literatual study on Atopic dermatitis. J Orient Med Res Center Daejeon Univ. 2005 ; 14(2) : 113-26.
- The National College of Oriental Medicine Herbology Classroom. Herbology. Seoul : Youngrimsa. 2008 : 190-1, 427-8, 738.
- Kang BS. Medical herbs. Seoul : Youngrimsa. 1992 : 384-86.
- Lee Y, Kim M, Chung D. Effect of extract Agrimonia pilosa L. on biological activity in rats. Korean J Medicinal Crop Sci. 2002 ; 10(3) : 167.\
- Kang SC, Lee CM, Koo HJ, Ahn DH, Choi H, Lee JH, Bak JP, Lee MH, Choung ES, Kawk JH. Hepatoprotective effects of aqueous extract from aerial part of Agrimmony. Kor J Pharmacogn. 2006 ; 37(1) : 28-32.
- Yoon JY, Lee SY, Lee JY. Anti-aging effects of solvent fraction from Agrimonia pilosa L. extracts. J Appl Biol Chem. 2012 ; 55(1) : 35-9. https://doi.org/10.3839/jabc.2011.056
- Pei YH, Li X, Zhu TR. Studies on the structure of a new ellagic acid glycoside from the root sprouts of Agrimonia pilosa. Yao Xue Xue Bae. 1990 ; 25 : 798-800.
- Kim HJ, Lim HW, Kim BH, Choi SW, Yoon CS. Studies on the Anti-acne Effect of Agrimonia pilosa Ledeb. J Soc Cosmet Scientists Korea 2006 ; 32(1) : 53-8.
- Hua CL, Lee JK, Cho KH, Kang DG, Kwon TO, Kwon JW, Kim JS, Sohn EJ, Lee HS. Mechanism for the vascular relaxation induced by butanol extract of Agrimonia pilosa. Kor J Pharmacogn. 2006 ; 37(2) : 67-73.
- Min KJ, Song JW, Cha CG. The antioxidative and antitumor activity of extracts of Agrimonia pilosa. J Fd Hyg Safety. 2008 ; 23(2) : 149-56.
- Choi SJ, Baik JW, Park JH, Jun CY, Choi YK, Ko SG. Mechanism of apoptosis & tumor growth inhibition of Agrimonia pilosa Ladebour (APL) in vitro and in vivo. Korean J Orient Int Med. 2009 ; 30(2) : 399-409.
- Kim JJ, Jiang J, Shim SW, Kwon SC, Kim TJ, Ye SK, Kim MK, Shin YK, Koppula S, Kang TB, Choi DK. Anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic effects of Agrimonia pilosa Ledeb extract on murine cell lines and OVA-induced airway inflammation. J Ethnopharmacol. 2012 ; 140 : 213-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2011.12.035
- Hong JH, Jung HA. Clinical efficacy of external application containing Betula platyphyllae Cortex, Viticis Fructus, Agrimoniae Herba in atopic dermatitis. J Korean Med Ophthalmol Otolaryngol Dermatol. 2014 ; 27(1) : 1-16. https://doi.org/10.6114/jkood.2014.27.1.001
- Lee EH, Lee SE, Lee SH. Current Trends of Diagnosis and Treatment of Atopic Dermatitis. Korean Soc Skin Barrier Res. 2010 ; 12(1) : 103-10.
- Kim YS, Choi YS. Neuroprotective Effects of Agrimoniae Herba against Intrastriatal Hemorrhage in Rats. Kor J Herbol. 2010 ; 25(4) : 31-7.
- Hoffman ES, Smith RE, Renaud BC Jr. From the analyst's couch: TLR-targeted therapeutics. Nat rev drug discov. 2005 ; 4(11) : 879-80. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrd1880
- Kim TY. Treatment of Atopic Dermatitis : an Update and Review of the Literature. Pediatr Allergy Respir Dis(Korea). 2009 ; 19(3) : 209-19.
- Kang RY, Park BK, Gim SH, Choi HJ, Kim DH. The effects of HYT on various immunological factors related to pathogenesis of allergic dermatitis in NC/Nga mice induced by Biostir AD. J Orient Med Res Center Daejeon Univ. 2009 ; 18(2) : 47-62.
- Kim MW. The cure effect of Chengsimyenjatang on atopic dermatitis by regulation of Th2 cell differentiation and anti-inflammatory mechanism. Dongguk Univ. 2006.
- Kim HG. Inhibitory Effect of Galgeunhaegi-Tang on Compound48/80 stimulated Allergic Reaction. Daegu Univ. 2008.
- Yun KJ, Kim JY, Kim JB, Lee KW, Jeong SY, Park HJ, Jung HJ, Cho YW, Yun KJ, Lee KT. Inhibition of LPS-induced NO and PGE2 production by asiatic acid via NF-κB inactivation in Raw 264.7 macrophages: Possible involvement of the IKK and MAPK pathways. Int Immunophar. 2008 ; 8 : 431-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intimp.2007.11.003
- Baugh JA, Bucala R. Mechanisms for modulating TNF-α in immune and inflammatory disease. Curr Opin drug discov devel. 2001 ; 4(5) : 635-50.
- Zhang Y, Ramos BF, Jakschik BA. Neutrophil recruitment by tumor necrosis factor from mast cells in immune complex peritonitis. Science. 1992 ; 258 : 1957-9. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1470922
- Gabay C. Interleukin-6 and chronic inflammation. Arthritis Res Ther. 2006 ; 8 : 1-3. https://doi.org/10.1186/ar1917
- Chae SC, Jung HT. NO and the immune response. Allergy Asthma Respiratory disease. 2002 ; 22(3) : 514-28.
- Kwon YH, Joo KB, Bae SC, Kim SY. Nitric oxide(NO) in inflammatory arthritis. Hanyang Medical Reviews. 1996 ; 16(2) : 227-41.
- Yang Y, Kim SC, Yu T, Yi YS, Rhee MH, Sung GH, Yoo BC, Cho JY. Functional roles of p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase in macrophage-mediated inflammatory responses. Mediators Inflamm. 2014 ; 2014 : 352371.
- Limtrakul P, Yodkeeree S, Pitchakarn P, Punfa W.Suppression of Inflammatory Responses by Black Rice Extract in RAW 264.7 Macrophage Cells via Downregulation of NF-kB and AP-1 Signaling Pathways. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2015 ; 16(10) : 4277-83. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.10.4277
- Ivashkiv LB. Inflammatory signaling in macrophages: transitions from acute to tolerant and alternative activation states. Eur J Immunol. 2011; 41(9) : 2477-81. https://doi.org/10.1002/eji.201141783
- Aggarwal BB, Shishodia S, Takada Y, Jackson-Bernitsas D, Ahn KS, Sethi G, Ichikawa H. TNF blockade: an inflammatory issue. Ernst Schering Res Found Workshop. 2006 ; (56) : 161-86.
- Effects of the Pharmacopuncture with MOK on Immune Regulation by Th1/Th2 Cytokines in L-Thyroxine-Induced Hyperthyroid Rats vol.35, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.14406/acu.2018.010