- Volume 25 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Numerical Prediction of the Outer Diameter for SAW Pipes Formed by Press-Brake Bending
프레스-브레이킹 굽힘 공정을 이용한 SAW 후육강관의 외경 예측을 위한 해석적 연구
- Received : 2015.11.13
- Accepted : 2015.12.11
- Published : 2016.04.01
Press-brake bending is used to shape flat and thick plates into a targeted circular configuration without excessive localized thinning or thickening. A brake bending press called 'a knife press bending apparatus' has been widely adopted to manufacture thick, large and long pipe from initially thick plate. Submerged Arc Welded (SAW) pipes are also produced by employing press-brake bending. These pipes are mainly used for oil, natural gas and water pipelines. The principal process variables for press-brake bending can be summarized as stroke of the press-brake knife, the distance between both roll in the lower die, and the feeding length of the plate. Many combinations of these process variables are available, thus various pipe diameters can be realized. In the current study, a series of repetitive numerical simulations by feeding a thick plate with initial thickness of 25.4mm were conducted with the consideration of elastic recovery. Furthermore, an index for SAW pipe production is proposed which can be widely used in industry.
Submerged Arc Welding Pipe;Press-Braking Bending Process;Thick Plate;Outer Diameter Prediction
- S. B. Li, J. X. Xie, 2007, Fabrication of Thin-Walled 316L Stainless Steel Seamless Pipes by Extrusion Technology, J. Mater. Process. Technol., Vol. 183, No. 1, pp. 57~61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2006.09.024
- G. Yang, K. Mori, K. Osakada, 1994, Determination of Forming Path in Three-Roll Bending using FEM Simulation and Fuzzy Reasoning, J. Mater. Process. Technol., Vol. 45, No. 1, pp. 161~166. https://doi.org/10.1016/0924-0136(94)90335-2
- M. Hua, D. H. Sansome, K. P. Rao, K. Baines, 1994, Continuous Four-Roll Plate Bending Process : Its Bending Mechanism and Influence Parameters, J. Mater. Process. Technol., Vol. 45, No. 1, pp. 181~186. https://doi.org/10.1016/0924-0136(94)90338-7
- M. Hua, K. Baines, I. M. Cole, 1995, Bending Mechanisms, Experimental Techniques and Preliminary Tests for the Continuous Four-Roll Plate Bending Process, J. Mater. Process. Technol., Vol. 48, No. 1, pp. 159~172. https://doi.org/10.1016/0924-0136(94)01647-J
- Z. Fu, J. Mo, W. Zhang, 2009, Study on Multiple-Step Incremental Air-Bending Forming of Sheet Metal with Springback Model and FEM Simulation, Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Technol., Vol. 45, No. 5-6, Pp. 448~458. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-009-1982-2
- M. Thome, J. Vocksen, 2011, High-Speed Calculation Tool for Design of the JCO® Pipe, Steel Research Int., Vol. 82, Sp. Ed., pp. 331~336.
- Q. Ren, T. Zou, D. Li, D. Tang, Y. H. Peng, 2015, Numerical Study on the X80 UOE Pipe Forming Process, J. Mater. Process. Technol., Vol. 215, pp. 264~277. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2014.08.013
- J. W. Park, J. W. Park, H. G. Noh, B. S. Kang, T. W. Ku, 2010, Press-Braking Bending Process of Thick Plates, Steel Res. Int., Vol. 81, No. 9, pp. 777~780.
- Tool Design and Numerical Verification for Thick Plate Forming of Hollow-Partitioned Steam Turbine Nozzle Stator vol.25, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5228/KSTP.2016.25.6.379