- Volume 25 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Prediction of the Performance of a Deformation Tube for Railway Cars using the Slab Method
초등해법을 이용한 철도차량 변형튜브 성능 예측에 관한 연구
- Received : 2015.11.25
- Accepted : 2016.03.03
- Published : 2016.04.01
Recently, global railway car makers are competing desperately in developing high-speed railway vehicles. Ensuring passenger safety during a crash is essential. The design and the manufacturing of energy absorbing components are becoming more and more important. A deformation tube is a typical passive energy absorbing component for railway cars. In the current study the slab method was used to predict the energy absorbing capability of a deformation tube during the early design stage. The usefulness of the prediction method is verified through the comparisons between the results of FE simulations and those of the prediction method.
Deformation Tube;Collision Tube;Collapse Tube;Railway Safety;Energy Absorption
- K. H. Ahn, 2008, Study on the Crash Energy Absorption and Dynamic Local Buckling of the Expansion Tubes, Master Thesis, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, Daejoen.
- J. Yang, M. Luo, Y. Hua, G. Lu, 2010, Energy Absorption of Expansion Tubes using a Conical-cylindrical Die: Experiments and Numerical Smulation, Int. J. Mech. Sci., Vol. 52, No. 5, pp. 716~725. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2009.11.015
- J. H. Lim, Y. I. Chung, 2009, Development of Automotive Crash Box with Tube Expansion Type, KSAE, KSAE09-A0413, pp. 2427~2432.
- J. MD, M. J. Davidson, G. Venkateswarlu, L. Venugopal, 2011, A Study on Effect of Process Parameters on the Expansion of Thin Walled Aluminium 7075 Tubes, Int. J. Adv. Sci. Tech., Vol. 36, pp. 88~94.
- W. M. Choi, T. S Kwon, 2009, Experimental Investigation on Effect of Conical Angle of Punch on Energy Absorbing Characteristic of Expansion Tubes, KSAE 09-B0287, pp. 1712~1717.
- S. J. Heo, J. H. Lee, J. S. Koo, 1998, Design of Impact Energy Absorber for High Speed Railway Vehicles, J. Kor. Soc. Rail., pp. 377~384.
- W. M. Choi, T. S. Kwon, H. S. Jung, J. S. Kim, 2011, Study on Rupture of Tube Type Crash Energy Absorber using Finite Element Method, W. Aca. Sci. Eng. Tech., Vol. 5, pp. 538~543.
- X. M. Qiu, L. H. Hea, J. Gub, X. H. Yua, 2013, A Three-Dimensional Model of Circular Tube Under Quasi-Static External Free Inversion, Int. J. Mech. Sci., Vol. 75, pp. 87~93. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2013.06.009
- R. Velmurugan, R. Muralikannan, 2009, Energy Absorption Characteristics of Annealed Steel Tubes of Various Cross Sections in Static and Dynamic Loading, Lat. Am. J. Solids Struct., Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 385~412.
- W. M. Choi, H. S. Jung, T. S. Kwon, 2007, Proc. Kor. Soc. Mech. Eng. 2007 spring annual meeting, Kor. Soc. Mech. Eng., Seoul Korea, pp. 2773~2778.
- R. Azizi, S. Salehghaffari, 2009, Energy Absorption in Plastic Expansion of Circular Metal Tubes, Int. Confer. on Comput. Plast., CIMNE, Barcelona.
- C. W. Kim, B. K. Han, J. J. Won, C. H. Lim, 1996, The Energy Absorption Characteristics of Thin-walled Rectangular Tubes, SAE, Vol. 4 No. 3, pp. 83~91.
- D. W. Kim, 1998, Plasticity, Cheongmungak, 116 Munbal-ro, Paju-si, Gyeonggi-do, Korea, pp.133~162.