- Volume 25 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Cementite Morphology and Matrix-ferrite Microstructure on the Sliding Wear Behavior in Spheroidized High Carbon Steel
구상화 열처리된 고탄소강의 미끄럼 마멸 거동에 미치는 시멘타이트 형상과 페라이트 기지조직의 영향
- Received : 2015.12.21
- Accepted : 2016.01.19
- Published : 2016.04.01
The current study was conducted to elucidate the effect of cementite morphology and matrix-ferrite microstructure on sliding wear behavior in spheroidized high carbon (1wt. % C) steel. The high carbon steel was initially heat treated to obtain a full pearlite or a martensite microstructure before the spheroidization. The spheroidizing heat treatment was performed on the full pearlitic steel for 100 hours at 700℃ and tempering was performed on the martensitic steel for 3 hours at 650℃. A spheroidized cementite phase in a ferrite matrix was obtained for both the full pearlite and the martensite microstructures. Sliding wear tests were conducted using a pin-on-disk wear tester with the heat treated steel as the disk specimen. An alumina(Al2O3) ball was used as the pin counterpart during the test. After the spheroidizing heat treatment and the tempering, both pearlite and martensite exhibited similar microstructures of spheroidized cementite in a ferrite matrix. The spheroidized pearlite specimens had lower hardness than the tempered martensite; however, the wear resistance of the spheroidized pearlite was superior to that of the tempered martensite.
High Carbon Steel;Sliding Wear;Spheroidizing;Tempered Martensite;Wear Mechanism
- H. K. D. H. Bhadeshia, 2012, Steels for Bearings, Prog. Mater Sci, Vol. 57, No. 2, pp. 268~435. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pmatsci.2011.06.002
- Y. Wang, T. Lei, J. Liu, 1999, Tribo-metallographic Behavior of High Carbon Steels in Dry Sliding II. Microstructure and Wear, Wear, Vol. 231, No. 1, pp. 12~19. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1648(99)00116-7
- K.-H. Zum Gahr, 1987, Microstructure and Wear of Materials, Elsevier, Amsterdam, pp. 351~353.
- A. Kamyabi-Gol, M. Sheikh-Amiri, 2010, Spheroidizing Kinetics and Optimization of Heat Treatment Parameters in CK60 Steel Using Taguchi Robust Design, J. Iron. Steel Res. Int., Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 45~52.
- A. Saha, D. K. Mondal, J. Maity, 2010, Effect of Cyclic Heat Treatment on Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of 0.6wt% Carbon Steel, Mater. Sci. Eng. A, Vol. 527, No.16-17, pp. 4001~4007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2010.03.003
- I. M. Hutchings, 1992, Tribology: Friction and Wear of Engineering Materials, Edward Arnold, pp. 133~134.
- K. K. Ray, V. Tppo, S. B. Singh, 2006, Influence of Pre-strain on the Wear Resistance of a Plain Carbon Steel, Mater. Sci. Eng. A, Vol. 420, No. 1-2, pp. 333~341. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2006.01.093
- F. Katsuki, M. Yonemura, 2007, Subsurface Characteristics of an Abraded Fe-0.4 wt% C Pearlitic Steel: A Nanoindentation Study, Wear, Vol. 263, No. 7-12, pp. 1575~1578. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wear.2007.01.092
- A. Sundström, J. Rendón, M. Olsson, 2001, Wear Behavior of Some Low Alloyed Steels under Combined Impact/abrasion Contact Conditions, Wear, Vol. 250, No. 1-12, pp. 744~754. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1648(01)00712-8
- S. H. Kim, Y.-S. Kim, 1999, Effect of Ductility on Dry Sliding Wear of Medium Carbon Steel under Low Load Conditions, Met. Mat. Int., Vol. 5, No. 3, pp. 267~271. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03026078
- J. H. Kim, K. H. Ko, S. D. Noh, G. G. Kim, S. J. Kim, 2009, The Effect of Boron on the Abrasive Wear Behavior of Austenitic Fe-based Hard Facing Alloys, Wear, Vol. 267, No. 9-10, pp. 1415~1419. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wear.2009.03.017
- O. P. Modi, D. P. Mondal, B. K. Prasad, M. Singh, H. K. Khaira, 2003, Abrasive Wear Behavior of a High Carbon Steel: Effects of Microstructure and Experimental Parameters and Correlation with Mechanical Properties, Mater. Sci. Eng., A, Vol. 343, No. 1-2, pp. 235~242. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-5093(02)00384-2