- Volume 53 Issue 2
Recently, there has been a growing interest in marine leisure sports and high speed power boat for fishing. The prototype of 20 feet class power boat was developed and authors are joined in this government-led project. The research was performed to evaluate the optimal structure and design of the structural strength necessary to ensure the structural safety of the power boat. A new material ROCICORE fiber added to the mat and roving was adopted for high-power tenacity. ANSYS Workbench has been used to make the structural model, evaluate the strength and optimize the structural design. The response of the structure to quasi-static slamming loads according to the rules and regulations of ISO 12215-5, Lloyd’s Register of Shipping and Korean Register has been implemented and studied. An optimization study for the structural response is carried out by changing the plate thickness and section modulus of stiffeners. The power boat structure derived fuel efficiency is optimized by performing the best possible structural design to minimize the hull weight.
Power boat;Design pressure;Structural analysis;Structural optimization
- International Standard, 2008. ISO 12215-5 Small craft - Hull construction and scantlings - Part 5: Design pressures for monohulls, design stresses, scantlings determination.
- Ji, S.H. Roh, J.S. Kang, S.W. Kim, H.W. & Kim, M.H., 2010. Structural Safety Evaluation of 40 Feet Sailing Yacht by Computational Structure Analysis. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 47(5), pp.703-708. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2010.47.5.703
- Kim, B.J. Kwon, S.Y. Kim, S.C. & Lee, J.H., 2011. Comparison Study and Structural Analysis to Investigate the Design Rule and Criteria of Catamaran. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 48(6), pp.479-489. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2011.48.6.479
- Korean Register, 2015. Rules for the classification of high speed light craft.
- Lloyd's Register, 2015. Rules and regulations for the classification of special service craft.
- MLTM, 2011. Structure standard for fiber reinforced plastic(FRP) vessels.
- Ojeda, R. Prusty, B.G. & Salas, M., 2004. Finite element investigation on the static response of a composite catamaran under slamming loads. Ocean Engineering, 31, pp.901-929. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2003.08.008
- Park, J.S. Ko, J.Y. Lee, K.W. & Oh, W.J., 2009. Structural analysis of an 38 feet diffusion style for high-speed catamaran yacht. Journal of navigation and Port Research, 33(3), pp.167-174. https://doi.org/10.5394/KINPR.2009.33.3.167
- Shin, J.G. Lee, J.Y. Lee, J.H. Van, S.H. Lee, S.H. & Yoo, J.H, 2006. A Study on the Structural Design and Structural Analysis for Small Yacht. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 43(1), pp.75-86. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2006.43.1.075
- Yum, J.S. Kim, K.J. & Yoo, J., 2012. Structural strength assessment for 20 feet class power boat. Proceedings of the Korean Association of Ocean Science and Technology Societies(KAOSTS) 2012 Conference, Daegu, Republic of Korea, 801-806, 31 May-1 June 2012.