- Volume 53 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effective Test and Evaluation Approaches for Reliable Defense Systems Development examined through Domestic Defense Cases
국내 사례로 살펴보는 국방체계 개발의 신뢰성을 높이기 위한 시험평가 방안
- Seo, Kyung-Min ;
- Lee, Chan Young ;
- Bang, Kyoung Woon ;
- Lee, Dong Chul ;
- Choi, Woo Young ;
- Kim, Tag Gon
- Received : 2015.11.19
- Accepted : 2016.04.04
- Published : 2016.04.20
This paper presents practical issues for test and evaluation(T&E) methods to develop defense systems. Our argument is motivated by several domestic defense cases and the cases lead us to discuss two main factors for reliable defense systems development: 1) statistical approaches and 2) technical schemes. Specifically, statistical approaches enable to provide credible interpretations about T&E results in the decision-making process. With practical T&E results of the “Red Shark” torpedo, we performed statistical hypothesis tests and suggest a minimum sample size to accept the hypothesis. Next, technical schemes have more direct effects on improving reliability of developed defense systems and we shortly introduce tools development for systems verification that is required to integrate several sub-systems, e.g., combat, sensor, weapon, and communication systems, within a defense system. We additionally summary some domain cases using modeling and simulation techniques for successful T&E. In closing, we expect that the paper shows empirical investigation and lessons learned with these two practical issues, which provides a guide those who desire to make decisions about reliable defense systems development.
Test and evaluation;Statistical hypothesis testing;Combat system;System verification;Simulation
- Cho, K.T. Lee, S.Y. Lee, H.M. Kim, S.H. & Jung, H.M., 2012. Enhancing the Efficiency and Reliability for M&S based Test and Evaluation System Development. The Korea Society for Simulation, 21(1), pp.89-96. https://doi.org/10.9709/JKSS.2012.21.1.089
- Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering (DSME), 2014. DSME ordered Jangbogo-I PIP Project. [Online] (Updated 1 September 2014) Available at:http://www.dsme.co.kr/pub/ds/td/dstd030Q.do?dt_type=tod &dt_seq_no=3008¤tPageNo=1
- Hayter, A., 2013. Probability and Statistics for Engineer and Scientists (4th edition). Chester: Brooks/Core.
- Kim, H.H. Lee, C.H. & Cho, N.H., 2009. A Study on Application and Promotion of DM&S VV&A (Focused on M&S for Test and Evaluation). The Korea Society for Simulation, 18(4), pp.157-164.
- Kim, T.G. Kwon, S.J. & Kang, B.G., 2013. Modeling and Simulation Methodology for Defense Systems Based on Concept of System of Systems. Journal of the Korean Institute of Industrial Engineers, 39(6), pp.450-460. https://doi.org/10.7232/JKIIE.2013.39.6.450
- Lee, B. & Seo, Y.H., 2014. A Design of Operational Test & Evaluation System for Weapon Systems thru Process-based Modeling. The Korea Society for Simulation, 23(4), pp.211-218. https://doi.org/10.9709/JKSS.2014.23.4.211
- Lee, B.J., 2013. Platform-based CSI methods to fulfill efficient test & evaluation. 2013 Seminar for Test & Evaluation of Weapon Systems, pp.77-90.
- Park, S.C., 2014. Succeed in Test-firing "Red Shark" torpedo, Segye-Ilbo. [Online] (Updated 26 May 2014) Available at:http://www.segye.com/content/html/2014/05/26/20140526 001117.html
- Yuun, S.H., 2010. <2>Torpedo, Kookbang-Ilbo. [Online] (Updated 1 September 2014) Available at:http://kookbang.dema.mil.kr/
- Zeigler, B.P. Praehofer, H. & Kim, T.G., 2000. Theory of Modeling and Simulation 2nd Edition. Academic Press.