- Volume 53 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Design, Structural Analysis and High Pressure Chamber Test of a Thick Pressure Cylinder for 2000 m Water Depth
수심 2000m 용 두꺼운 내압용기의 설계, 구조해석과 내압시험
Choi, Hyeuk-Jin;Lee, Jae-Hwan;Kim, Jin-Min;Lee, Seung-Guk;Maring, Kothilngam
- Received : 2015.10.06
- Accepted : 2016.04.07
- Published : 2016.04.20
This paper aims to demonstrate the design, structure analysis, and hydrostatic pressure test of the cylinder used in 2000m water depth. The cylinder was designed in accordance with ASME pressure vessel design rule. The 1.5 times safety factor required by the general rule was applied to the design of the cylinder, because ASME rule is so excessive that it is not proper to apply to the hydrostatic pressure test. The finite element analysis was conducted for the cylinder. The cylinder was produced according to the design. The hydrostatic pressure test was conducted at the hyperbaric chamber in KRISO. The results of finite element analysis(FEM) and those of the hydrostatic pressure test were almost the same, which showed that the design was exact and reliable.
External pressure vessel;Structural design;FEM;ASME BPVC VIII;Pressure chamber;Hydrostatic pressure test
- American Bureau of Shipping (ABS), 2010. Rules for Building and Classing, Underwater Vehicles, Systems and Hyperbaric Facilities. ABS.
- American Petroleum Institute (API), 2014. Consideration of External Pressure in the Design and Pressure Rating of Subsea Equipment, Technical Report 17TR12. First Edition. API.
- ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code (BPVC), 2010, Section 8, Division 1. Rules for Construction of Pressure Vessels. ASME.
- Cherian R., 2014. Buckling Analysis of Undewater Cylindrical Shells Subjected to External Pressure. International Journal of Innovative Research in Advanced Eng. 1(10), pp.8-14.
- De Paor, C. Kelliher, D. Cronin, K. Wright, W.M.D. & McSweeney, S.G., 2012. Prediction of vacuum-induced buckling pressures of thin-walled cylinders. Thin-Walled Structures, 55 pp.1-10 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2012.03.001
- Jeong, T.H. Lee, J.H. Noh, I.S. Lee, P.M. & Aoki, T., 2004. Pressure Vessel Design and Structural Analysis of Unmanned Underwater Vehicle, Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 41(6), pp.140-146. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2004.41.6.140
- Jeong, T.H. Noh, I.S. Lee, J.H. Lee, P.M. & Han, S.H., 2005. Design Optimization of a Deep-sea Pressure Vessel by Reliability Analysis, Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 19(2), pp.40-46.
- Jeong, T.H. Lee, J.H. Noh, I.S. Lee, J.M. & Lee, P.M, 2006. A Structural Design of and Analysis of a Deep-sea Unmanned Underwater Vehicle. Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 20(3), pp.7-14.
- Jeong, T.H. Noh, I.S. Lee, J.H. Lee, J.M. Tadahiri H. & Sammut K., 2007. A Study on the Design, Manufacture, and Pressure Test of a Pressure Vessel Model, Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 21(6), pp.101-106.
- MIL-STD-810G, 2014. Department of Defense Test Method Standard Part Two-Laboratory Test Methods 512.5 Immersion 22.214.171.124. U.S. Army Developmental Test Command.
- Shin, J.Y. & Woo, J.S., 1999. Collapse Analysis of Deep Sea Pressure Vessel, Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 13(4), pp.82-97.
- Park, D.H. Kim, J.H. Choi, S.Y. Lee, J.M., 2015. Study on Cryogenic Mechanical Behavior of 6000 Series Aluminium Alloys, Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 29(1), pp.85-93. https://doi.org/10.5574/KSOE.2015.29.1.085