- Volume 32 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of Brewer's spent grain (BSG) on larval growth of mealworms, Tenebrio molitor (Coleoptera: Tenebrionidae)
- Kim, Sun Young ;
- Kim, Hong Geun ;
- Lee, Kyeong Yong ;
- Yoon, Hyung Joo ;
- Kim, Nam Jung
- Received : 2016.03.24
- Accepted : 2016.03.25
- Published : 2016.03.31
Mealworms, Tenebrio molitor (Coleoptera: Tenebrionidae), are widely used as food sourcefor animal rearing as well as human diet. Conventionally, mealworms raised on wheat bran. In this study, we investigated the effects of brewer's spent grain (BSG) on the growth of mealworm larvae to reduce the rearing cost. We prepared five different diets with various BSG content, 0, 10, 30, 50, and 70% of heated air dried BSG with wheat bran. We compared survivorship, larval weight, developmental duration, pupation rate, and pupal weight of five different groups of T. molitor raised on these five diets. The larval survivorships were almost similar with the control group except a group with 70% of BSG. For the larval weight, groups with 30% and 50% of BSG gained more weight than that with control treatment, 0% of BSG. For the developmental period, the groups with 30% of BSG took less time compared to the control group. In all treatment groups, more than 90% of pupation rate were observed. Especially, the group with 30% of BSG showed highest pupation rate among the five groups. Wheat bran with 30~50% of BSG was the optimal diet for successive insect rearing among the five diet treatments. Based on this study, we concluded that adding BSG to wheat bran helps to improve the quality of T. molitor and to reduce the rearing period.
Tenebrio molitor;larvae;brewer's spent grain (BSG)
- Aliyu S, Bala M (2011) Brewer’s spent grain: A review of its potentials and applications. Afr J Biotechnol 10(3), 324-331.
- Choi HS, Kim SA, Shin HJ (2015) Present and Perspective on Insect Biotechnology. KSBB Journal 30(6), 257-267. https://doi.org/10.7841/ksbbj.2015.30.6.257
- Essien JP, Udotong IR (2008) Amino Acid Profile of Biodegraded Brewers Spent Grains (BSG). J Appl Sci Environ Manage 12(1), 109-111.
- He K, Xu ZQ, Dai PL (2006) The parasitizing behavior of Scleroderma guani Xiao et Wu (Hymenoptera: Bethylidae) wasps on Tenebrio molitor pupae. Acta Entomol Sin 49(3), 454-460.
- Huang Q, Hu J, Zhou DG, Sun L, Ruan HB, Wang XN, Chen G, Zhu TH, Yang CP, Yang W (2011) Comparison of growth, development, survivorship and food utilization of two color varieties of Tenebrio molitor (Coleoptera: Tenebrionidae). Acta Entomol Sin 54(3), 286-292.
- Huang Q, Zhou ZJ, Yang W, Hu J, Yang CP (2005) Screening substitute hosts for mass rearing of Scleroderma sichuanensis Xiao (Hymenoptera: Bethylidae). Acta Entomol Sin 48(3), 375-379.
- Huang Q, Zhou ZJ, Zhou DG, Hu J, Yang W, Yang CP (2006) Analysis of nutritional component of Tenebrio molitor L. pupa. Sichuan J Zool 25(4), 809-813.
- Huang Q, Zhou ZJ, Zhou DG, Hu J, Yang W, Yang CP (2007) Analysis of nutritional components of seven species of insects. Acta Nutr Sin 29(1), 94-96.
- Ikurior SA (1995) Preservation of brewers years slurry by a simple on farm adaptable technology and its effect on performance of weaner pigs. Anim Feed Sci Technol 53, 353-358. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(94)00745-U
- Ishiwaki N, Murayama H, Awayama H, Kanauchi O, Sato T (2000) Development of high value uses of spent grain by fractionation technology. MBAA Technical Quarterly 37, 261-265.
- Kaur VI, Saxena PK (2004) Incorporation of brewery waste in supplementary feed and its impact on growth in some carps. Bioresour Technol 91, 101-104. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0960-8524(03)00073-7
- Kim IK, Yun YC, Shin YC, Yoo JY (2013) Effect of Sparassis crispa extracts on immune cell activation and tumor growth inhibition. Journal of Life Science 23(8), 984-988. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2013.23.8.984
- Kim SY, Chung TH, Kim SH, Song SH, Kim NJ (2014) Recycling Agricultural Wastes as Feed for Mealworm (Tenebrio molitor). Korean J Appl Entomol 53(4), 365-371.
- Moon YH, Shin PG, Cho SJ (2012) Feeding value of spent mushroom (Pleurotus eryngii) substrate. J Mushroom Sci Prod 10(4), 236-243.
- Stojceska V, Ainsworth P, Plunkett A, Ibanoglu S (2008) The recycling of brewer’s processing by-product into ready-to-eat snacks using extrusion thchnology. J Cereal Sci 47, 469-479. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcs.2007.05.016
- Mussatto SI, Dragone G, Roberto IC (2006) Brewers’ spent grain: generation, characteristics and potential applications. Journal of Cereal Science 43, 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcs.2005.06.001
- Prentice N, Kissell LT, Lindsay RC, Yamazaki WT (1978). High-fiber cookies containing Brewers’ spent grain. Cereal Chem 55(5), 712-721.
- Robertson JAI, Anson KJA, Treimo J, Faulds CB, Brocklehurst TF, Eijsink VGH, Waldron KW (2010) Profiling brewer’s spent grain for composition and microbial ecology at the site of production. LWT Food Sci Technol 43, 890-896. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2010.01.019
- Szponar B, Pawlik KJ, Gamian A, Dey ES (2003) Protein fraction of barley spent grain as a new simple medium for growth and sporulation of soil actinobacteria. Biotechnol Lett 25, 1717-1721. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1026046403010
- Tang D, Yin G, He Y, Hu S, Li B, Li L, Liang H, Borthakur D (2009) Recovery of protein from brewer’s spent grain by ultrafiltration. Biochem Eng J 48, 1-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bej.2009.05.019
- Tian SP, Xu ZQ (2003) Effects of different temperatures on the development of Scleroderma guani reared with Tenebrio molitor. Entomol Knowl 40(4), 356-359.
- Wu H, Wang XY, Li ML, Yang ZQ, Zeng FX, Wang HY, Bai L, Liu SJ, Sun J (2008) Biology and mass rearing of Sclerodermus pupariae Yang et Yao (Hymenoptera: Bethylidae), an important ectoparasitoid of the emerald ash borer, Agrilus planipennis (Coleoptera: Buprestidae) in China. Acta Entomol Sin 51(1), 46-54.
- Ye XQ, Su P, Hu C (1997) Chemical analysis and evaluation of protein and fat for yellow mealworm (Tenebrio molitor L.). J Zhejiang Agric Univ 23(S), 35-38.
- Yoo JM, Hwang JS, Goo TW, Yun EY (2013) Comparative analysis of nutritional and harmful components in Korean and Chinese mealworms (Tenebrio molitor). J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 42(2), 249-254. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.2.249
- Zanuncio JC, Zanuncio TV, Guedes RNC, Ramalho FS (2000) Effect of feeding on three Eucalyptus species on the development of Brontocoris tabidus (Heteroptera: Pentatomidae) fed with Tenebrio molitor (Coleoptera: Tenebrionidae). Biocontr Sci Tech 10(4), 443-450. https://doi.org/10.1080/09583150050115025
- Effect of temperature on growth and oviposition characteristics of Meganoton scribae (Lepidoptera: Sphingidae) vol.33, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7852/ijie.2016.33.2.63
- Effects of agricultural byproducts, DDG and MSG, on the larval development of mealworms vol.32, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7852/ijie.2016.32.2.69
- Nutritional analysis of alternative feed ingredients and their effects on the larval growth of Tenebrio molitor (Coleoptera: Tenebrionidae) vol.47, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/1748-5967.12236