- Volume 20 Issue 2
The impact of optical receiver configuration on in-band crosstalk-induced penalty has been investigated in both theoretical and experimental analyses, for differential phase-shift keying (DPSK) and differential quadrature phase-shift keying (DQPSK) signals. Previously it has been shown that DPSK signals are ~6 dB more tolerant to in-band crosstalk than on-off keying (OOK) signals. However, we find that the tolerance difference between the two signals is reduced to ~3 dB when the decision threshold of the receiver is optimized to minimize the bit-error rate for each signal. Then we derive simple equations for the in-band crosstalk-induced penalty in DPSK and DQPSK signals with two different optical receiver configurations: balanced and single-ended direct-detection receivers. We confirm that the penalties obtained from our simple equations agree well with the measured results.
In-band crosstalk;Phase-shift keying (PSK);Balanced detection;Single-ended detection
- H. Takahashi, K. Oda, and H. Toba, “Impact of crosstalk in an arrayed-waveguide multiplexer on N × N optical interconnection,” IEEE J. Lightwave Technol. 14, 1097-1105 (1996). https://doi.org/10.1109/50.511611
- M. Kobayashi, T. Ishihara, and M. Gotoh, “Power penalty due to optical reflections in erbium-doped fiber preamplifier,” IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett. 5, 925-928 (1993). https://doi.org/10.1109/68.238256
- C. H. Kim, J. Bromage, and R. M. Jopson, “Reflection-induced penalty in Raman amplified systems,” IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett. 14, 573-575 (2002). https://doi.org/10.1109/68.992615
- X. Liu, Y.-H. Kao, M. Movassaghi, and R. C. Giles, “Tolerance to in-band coherent crosstalk of differential phase-shift-keyed signal with balanced detection and FEC,” IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett. 16, 1209-1211 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1109/LPT.2004.824942
- P. J. Winzer, A. H. Gnauck, A. Konczykowska, F. Jorge, and J.-Y. Dupuy, “Penalties from in-band crosstalk for advanced optical modulation formats,” in Proc. European Conference and Exhibition on Optical Communication (ECOC2011) (Geneva, Switzerland, Sep. 2011), Tu.5.B.7.
- S. Yamamoto, T. Yoshimatsu, H. Takara, T. Komukai, Y. Hashizume, H. Kubota, H. Masuda, M. Jinno, and A. Takada, “Influence of intrachannel crosstalk with frequency dependence on signal degradation in optical switch network,” IEEE J. Lightwave Technol. 27, 5716-5722 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1109/JLT.2009.2032673
- Y.-T. Hsueh, A. Stark, M. Filer, T. Detwiler, S. Tibuleac, G.-K. Chang, and S. E. Ralph, “In-band crosstalk transmission penalties on 112-Gb/s PDM-QPSK optical links,” IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett. 23, 745-747 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1109/LPT.2011.2132700
- J. C. Attard, J. E. Mitchell, and C. J. Rasmussen, “Performance analysis of interferometric noise due to unequally powered interferers in optical networks,” IEEE J. Lightwave Technol. 23, 1692-1703 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1109/JLT.2005.844508
- P. J. Winzer, S. Chandrasekhar, and H. Kim, “Impact of filtering on RZ-DPSK reception,” IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett. 15, 840-842 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1109/LPT.2003.811140
Grant : BK21플러스
Supported by : 한국과학기술원