- Volume 60 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
College Students’ Reflection on the Uncritical Inference Test Activity in Organic Chemistry Course
- Cha, Jeongho ;
- Kan, Su-Yin ;
- Chia, Poh Wai
- Received : 2016.02.04
- Accepted : 2016.03.08
- Published : 2016.04.20
Effective teaching and learning is a continuous process of monitoring and re-organization of teaching method, so to benefit both students and educators. Reflective journal writing is an effective method for students to reflect on their learning experience about a new concept or subject taught and at the same time enables educators to improve on their academic skills. In the present paper, we have examined and evaluated the effectiveness of the Uncritical Inference Test (UIT) that was conducted in our basic organic chemistry course through a systematic network built based on students’ reflective writing. From the data analysis, the UIT has benefited students in three dimensions, namely cognitive, affective and group learning domains. Moreover, the UIT activity instilled an active learning environment in organic chemistry classroom and deeper learning among chemistry students as shown in the collected data. In future, this activity could be adapted as a teaching method to enhance students’ critical thinking skills and question-asking capability in other teaching courses.
Teaching and learning;Reflection;Reflective writing;Uncritical inference test;Systemic network
- Angelo, T. A.; Cross, K. P. Classroom assessment techniques : a handbook for college teachers; Jossey-Bass Publishers: San Francisco, 1993.
- Centra, J. A.; Bonesteel, P. New Directions for Teaching and Learning 1990, 1990, 7.
- Chickering, A. W.; Gamson, Z. F. New Directions for Teaching and Learning 1999, 1999, 75.
- Murray, H. G. "Effective teaching behaviors in the college classroom," In Higher Education: Handbook of Theory and Research; Smart, J. C., Ed.; Agathon Press: New York, 1991; Vol. 7.
- Pollack, A. E.; Korol, D. L. Journal of Undergraduate Neuroscience Education 2013, 12, A42.
- Davis, B. G. Tools for Teaching; 2nd ed.; Jossey-Bass: San Francisco, 2009.
- Berk, R. A. Journal on Excellence in College Teaching 1996, 7, 71.
- Foyle, H. C. Interactive learning in the higher education classroom: Cooperative, collaborative, and active learning strategies; National Education Association, 1995.
- Strother, D. B. The Phi delta Kappan 1989, 71, 324.
- Banks, T. Creative Education 2014, 5, 519. https://doi.org/10.4236/ce.2014.57061
- Long, C. S.; Ibrahim, Z.; Kowang, T. O. International Education Studies 2014, 7, 37.
- Lipton, L.; Wellman, B. M.; Humbard, C. Mentoring matters: A practical guide to learning-focused relationships; Mira Via, LCC: Sherman, CT, 2003.
- Perkins, D. NJEA Review 1993, 67, 10.
- Perkins, D. The Professional Journal of the American Federation of Teachers 1993, 17, 28.
- Swanwick, K.; Paynter, J. British Journal of Music Education 1993, 10, 3. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0265051700001388
- Kiewra, K. A. Theory into practice 2002, 41, 71. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15430421tip4102_3
- Bligh, D. What's the Use of Lectures?; Jossey-Bass Publishers: San Francisco, 2000.
- Rogers, R. R. Innovative higher education 2001, 26, 37. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1010986404527
- Higgs, J. "Planning learning experiences to promote autonomous learning," In Developing student autonomy in learning; 2nd ed.; Boud, D., Ed.; Kogan Page: London, 1988.
- Boud, D.; Keogh, R.; Walker, D. “Promoting reflection in learning: A model,” In Reflection: Turning experience into learning; Boud, D., Keogh, R., Walker, D., Eds.; Kogan Page: London, 1985.
- Luiden, P. M. “Paper Thinking: The Process of Writing,” In Envisioning Process as Content: Toward a Renaissance Curriculum; Costa, A. L., Liebmann, R. M., Eds.; Corwin Press, Inc.: USA, 1996.
- Andrusyszyn, M. A.; Davie, L. International Journal of E-Learning & Distance Education 2007, 12, 103.
- Crowe, D.; Youga, J. The Journal of Economic Education 1986, 17, 218. https://doi.org/10.1080/00220485.1986.10845169
- Jarvis, P. Nurse Education Today 1992, 12, 174. https://doi.org/10.1016/0260-6917(92)90059-W
- Mezirow, J. Adult education quarterly 1981, 32, 3. https://doi.org/10.1177/074171368103200101
- Gibbs, G. Learning by doing: A guide to teaching and learning methods; London: FEU, 1988.
- Gupta, T.; Burke, K. A.; Mehta, A.; Greenbowe, T. J. Journal of Chemical Education 2015, 92, 32. https://doi.org/10.1021/ed500059r
- Wagenaar, T. C. Teaching Sociology 1984, 419.
- Burnard, P. Nurse Education Today 1988, 8, 105. https://doi.org/10.1016/0260-6917(88)90008-1
- Kan, S.-Y.; Cha, J.; Chia, P. W. Journal of the Korean Chemical Society 2015, 59, 156. https://doi.org/10.5012/jkcs.2015.59.2.156
- Lynch, D. J.; Trujillo, H. International Journal of Science and Mathematics Education 2011, 9, 1351. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10763-010-9264-x
- Grove, N. P.; Cooper, M. M.; Cox, E. L. Journal of Chemical Education 2012, 89, 850. https://doi.org/10.1021/ed200394d
- Grove, N. P.; Bretz, S. L. Chemistry Education Research and Practice 2012, 13, 201. https://doi.org/10.1039/C1RP90069B
- Cavallo, A. M. Journal of Research in Science Teaching 1996, 33, 625. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1098-2736(199608)33:6<625::AID-TEA3>3.0.CO;2-Q
- Marlowe, B. A.; Page, M. L. Creating and sustaining the constructivist classroom; Corwin Press: California, 2005.
- Koulaidis, V.; Ogborn, J. International Journal of Science Education 1988, 10, 497. https://doi.org/10.1080/0950069880100503
- Bloom, B. S. Taxonomy of Educational Objectives: The Classification of Educational Goals; New York: D. McKay, 1956.
- Germann, P. J.; Aram, R. J. Journal of Research in Science Teaching 1996, 33, 773. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1098-2736(199609)33:7<773::AID-TEA5>3.0.CO;2-K
- Rhem, J. The National Teaching & Learning Forum 1995, 5, 4.
- Bonwell, C. C.; Eison, J. A. Active Learning: Creating Excitement in the Classroom. 1991 ASHE-ERIC Higher Education Reports; ERIC: Washington DC, 1991.
- Allen, E. E. The Reference Librarian 1995, 24, 89. https://doi.org/10.1300/J120v24n51_10
- Meyers, C.; Jones, T. B. Promoting active learning: strategies for the college classroom; Jossey-Bass Publishers: San Francisco, 1993.