- Volume 29 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Antioxidant Activity and Inhibitory Effect on Oxidative DNA Damage of Ethyl Acetate Fractions Extracted from Cone of Red Pine (Pinus densiflora)
솔방울 에틸아세테이트 분획물의 항산화 및 산화적 DNA 손상 억제 활성
- Received : 2015.09.14
- Accepted : 2016.04.20
- Published : 2016.04.30
Antioxidant activity and inhibitory effect on oxidative DNA damage of ethyl acetate fractions extracted from Cone of Red Pine (Pinus densiflora) were investigated to find utilization of Cone, by-product of Red Pine, thrown out after berry shatter, as a new natural plant resource. Cone from P. densiflora was extracted with methanol (MeOH) and separated to petroleum ether, ethyl acetate and water fraction. Among them, ethyl acetate fraction was used. The antioxidant activity was conducted by the 1,1-diphenyl-2-picryl hydrazyl (DPPH) radical, 2, 2'-Azino-bis (3-ethylbenzothiazoline-6 sulfonic acid) diammonium salt (ABTS) radical scavenging assay, Fe2+ chelating assay and reducing power assay. The inhibitory effect on oxidative DNA damage was determined by DNA cleavage assay using φX-174 RF I plasmid. The results of DPPH and ABTS radical scavenging activity at 200 ㎍/㎖ of extracts were 86.50% and 95.80% respectively, which were similar figures compared with L-ascorbic acid as control. Fe2+ chelating activity was 77.96% and reducing power was 0.77 at 200 ㎍/㎖. Total phenolic component was 27.29±0.3 ㎎/g and Vitamin C content was 1.84±0.1 ㎎/g. Also ethyl acetate fraction from Cone has inhibitory effect, using φX-174 RF I plasmid on DNA cleavage assay. In conclusion, Cone, by-product of P. densiflora, showed high antioxidant activity and inhibitory effect on oxidative DNA damage. Therefore this study suggests Cone, useless by-product, can be developed as a new natural plant resource with lots of utilization such as an effective antioxidant, natural medicine, food, cosmetics and so on.
Pinus densiflora;DPPH;Reducing power;Fe2+ chelating
- Ahn, J.J. and J.H. Park. 2013. Effects of Abeliophyllum distichum Nakai flower extracts on antioxidative activities and inhibition of DNA damage. Korean J. Plant Res. 26(3):355-361. https://doi.org/10.7732/kjpr.2013.26.3.355
- AOAC. 1995. Official Methods of Analysis of the Association of Official Analytical Chemist, 14th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington DC, USA. pp. 8-35.
- Bondet, V., W. Brand Williams and C. Berset. 1997. Kinetics and mechanisms of antioxidant activity using the DPPH free radical method. Lebensm.-Wiss. u.-Technol. 30:609-615. https://doi.org/10.1006/fstl.1997.0240
- Arora, A., M.G. Nair and G.M Strasburg. 1998. Structure-activity relationships for antioxidant activities of a series of flavonoids in a liposomal system. J. Free Radic. Biol. Med. 24:1355-1363. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0891-5849(97)00458-9
- Barman Balfour J.A. and R.H. Foster. 1999. Deferiprone: a review of its clinical potential in iron overload in beta-thalassaemia major and other transfusion-dependent diseases. Drugs 58(3):553-578. https://doi.org/10.2165/00003495-199958030-00021
- Benz, E.J. 2001. Hemoglobinopathies: In Braunwald, E., A.S. Fauci, D.L. Kasper, S.L. Hauser, D.L. Longo and J.L. Jameson (eds.), Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, 15th ed. McGraw-Hill, Inc., New York, USA. pp. 666-674.
- Caillet, S., H. Yu, S. Lessard, G. Lamoureux, D. Ajdukovic. and M. Lacroix. 2007. Fenton reaction applied for screening natural antioxidants. J. Food Chem. 100(2):542-552. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2005.10.009
- Choe, S.Y. and K.H. Yang. 1982. Toxicological studies of antioxidants butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT) and butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA). J. Korean Food Sci. Technol. 14(3):283-288 (in Korean).
- Choi, M.Y., E.Y. Choi, E. Lee, T.J. Rhim, B.C. Cha and H.J. Park. 1997. Antimicrobial activities of pine needle (Pinus densiflora Sieb et Zucc) extract. Korean. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 25:293-297 (in Korean).
- Chung, H.J., G.H. Hwang, M.J. Yoo and S.J. Rhee. 1996. Chemical composition of pine sprouts and pine needles for the production of pine sprout tea. Korean. J. Soc. Diet. C. 11(5):635-641 (in Korean).
- Halliwell, B. 1996. Antioxidant characterization: methodology and mechanism. Biochem. Pharmacol. 49(10):1341-1348.
- Jang, I.C., J.H. Park, E. Park, H.R. Park and S.C. Lee. 2008. Antioxidative and antigenotoxic activity of extracts from cosmos (Cosmosbipinnatus) flowers. J. Plant Foods Hum. Nutr. 63(4):205-210. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11130-008-0086-8
- Hsu, B., I.M. Coupar and K. Ng. 2006. Antioxidant activity of hot water extract from the fruit of the Doum palm. Hyphaene thebaica. J. Food Chem. 98(2):317-328. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2005.05.077
- Hwang, J.Y., H.S. Lee and J.S. Han. 2011. Protective effect of Sasa borealis leaf extract on AAPH-induced oxidative stress in LLC-PK1 cells. J. Food Sci. Nutr. 16(1):12-17. https://doi.org/10.3746/jfn.2011.16.1.012
- Jagota, S.K. and H.M. Dani. 1982. A new colorimetric technique for the estimation of vitamin C using Folin phenol reagent. J. Analytical Biochem. 127(1):178-182. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(82)90162-2
- Jeon, G.I., M.Y. Yoon, H.R. Park, S.C. Lee and E. Park. 2009. Neuroprotective activity of Viola mandshurica extracts on hydrogen peroxide-induced DNA damage and cell death in PC12 cells. J. Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 1171(1):576-582. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1749-6632.2009.04889.x
- Jiang, Y., W. Han, T. Shen and M.H. Wang. 2012. Antioxidant activity and protection from DNA damage by water extract from pine (Pinus densiflora) bark. Korean. J. Prev. Nutr. Food Sci. 17(2):116-121 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.3746/pnf.2012.17.2.116
- Johnson, T.M., Z.X. Yu, V.J. Ferrans, R.A. Lowenstein and T. Finkel. 1996. Reactive oxygen species are downstream mediators of p53-dependent apoptosis. J. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 93(21):11848-11852. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.93.21.11848
- Jung, Y. and Y. Surh. 2001. Oxidative DNA damage and cytotoxicity induced by copper-stimulated redox cycling of salsolinol. a neurotoxic tetrahydroisoquinoline alkaloid. J. Free Radic. Biol. Med. 30(12):1407-1417. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0891-5849(01)00548-2
- Ku, C.S., J.P. Jang and S.P. Mun. 2007. Exploitation of polyphenol-rich pine barks for potent antioxidant activity. Korean. J. Wood Sci. 53(6):524-528 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10086-007-0896-6
- Lee, S.Y., E.J. Hwang, G.H. Kim, Y.B. Choi, C.Y. Lim and S.M. Kim. 2005. Antifungal and antioxidant activities of extracts from leaves and flowers of Camellia japonica L. Korean J. Medicinal Crop Sci. 13(3):93-100 (in Korean).
- Kuk, J.H., S.J. Ma and K.H. Park. 1997. Isolation and characterization of benzoic acid with antimicrobial activity from needle of Pinus densiflora. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 29(2):204-210 (in Korean).
- Kwak, C.S., S.C. Moon and M.S. Lee. 2006. Antioxidant, antimutagenic, and antitumor effects of pine needles (Pinus densiflora). J. Nutr. Cancer. 56(2):162-171 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327914nc5602_7
- Lee, C.B. 2003. An Illustrated Guide to Korean Flora. Hyangmunsa, Seoul, Korea. p. 141 (in Korean).
- Lee, Y.S., E.J. Joo and N.W Kim. 2006. Polyphenol contents and antioxidant activity of Lepistanuda. Korean. J. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 35(10):1309-1314 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2006.35.10.1309
- Li, S.C., T.C. Chou and C.K. Shih. 2011. Effects of brown rice, rice bran, and polished rice on colon carcinogenesis in rats. J. Food Res. Int. 44(1):209-216. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2010.10.034
- Marnett, L.J. 2000. Oxy radicals and DNA damage. Carcinogenesis 21(3):361-370. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/21.3.361
- Maxwell, S.J. 1995. Prospects for the use of antioxidant therapies. Drugs 49(3):345-361. https://doi.org/10.2165/00003495-199549030-00003
- Oliver, N.F. and G.M. Brittenham. 1997. Iron-chelating therapy and the treatment of thalassemia. Blood 89(3):739-761.
- Oliveri, N.F., D.G. Nathan, J.H. MacMilan, A.S. Wayne, P.P. Liu, A. McGee, M. Martin, G. Koren and A.R. Cohen. 1994. Survival in medically treated patients with homozygous beta- thalassemia. England J. Med. 331(9):574-578. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199409013310903
- Park, Y.M, J.B. Jeong, J.H. Seo, J.H. Lim, H.J. Jeong and E.W. Seo. 2011. Inhibitory effect of red bean (Phaseolus angularis) hot water extracts on oxidative DNA and cell damage. Korean J. Plant Res. 24(2):130-138 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.7732/kjpr.2011.24.2.130
- Oyaizu, M. 1986. Studies on products of browning reaction: antioxidative activities of products of browning reaction prepared from glucosamine. Japanese J. Nutr. 44(6):307-315. https://doi.org/10.5264/eiyogakuzashi.44.307
- Park, C.S. 1998. Antibacterial activity of ethanol extract of pine needle against pathogenic bacteria. Korean. J. Food Prev. 5(4):380-385.
- Park, Y.S., M.H. Jeon, H.J. Hwang, M.R. Park, S.H. Lee, S.G. Kim and M. Kim. 2011. Antioxidant activity and analysis of proanthocyanidins from pine (Pinus densiflora) needles. J. Nutr. Res. Pract. 5(4):281-287. https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2011.5.4.281
- Patra, J.K., S.H. Kim, H. Hwang, J.W. Choi and K.H. Baek. 2015. Volatile compounds and antioxidant capacity of the bio-oil obtained by pyrolysis of Japanese red pine (Pinus densiflora siebold and zucc). Molecules 20(3):3986-4006. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules20033986
- Rice-Evans, C.A., J. Sampson, P.M. Bramley and D.E. Holloway. 1997. Why do we expect carotenoids to be antioxidants in vivo ?. J. Free Radic. Res. 26(4):381-398. https://doi.org/10.3109/10715769709097818
- Sakanaka, S., Y. Tachibana and Y. Okada. 2005. Preparation and antioxidant properties of extracts of Japanese persimmon leaf tea (kakinoha-cha). J. Food Chem. 89(4):569-575. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2004.03.013
- Seifried, H.E., D.E. Anderson, E.I. Fisher and J.A. Milner. 2007. A review of the interaction among dietary antioxidants and reactive oxygen species. J. Nutr. Biochem. 18(9):567-579. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnutbio.2006.10.007
- Sonakul, D., K. Thakerngpol and P. Pacharee. 1988. Cardiac pathology in 76 thalassemia patients. Birth Defects Orig. Article Ser. 23(5B):177-191.
- Van den Berg, R., G.R. Haenen, H. Van den Berg and A. Bast. 1999. Applicability of an improved Trolox equivalent antioxidant capacity (TEAC) assay for evaluation of antioxidant capacity measurements of mixtures. J. Food Chem. 66:511-517. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(99)00089-8
- Stohs, S.J. and D. Bagchi. 1995. Oxidative mechanism in the toxicity of metal ions. Free Radic. Biol. Med. 18(2):321-336. https://doi.org/10.1016/0891-5849(94)00159-H
- Sun, B. and M. Fukuhara. 1997. Effects of co-administration of butylated hydroxytoluene, butylated hydroxyanisole and flavonoide on the activation of mutagens and drug-metabolizing enzymes in mice. Toxicology 122:61-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0300-483X(97)00078-4
- Sung, K.C. and K.J. Kim. 2005. Tyrosinase activited inhibition effect and analysis of Pine-Needle extract. Korean. J. Oil Chemists. 22(1):71-76.
- Warnholtz, A. and T. Münzel. 2000. Why do antioxidants fail to provide clinical benefit? Curr. Control Trials Cardiovasc. Med. 1(1):38-40. https://doi.org/10.1186/CVM-1-1-038
- Zurlo, M.G., P. De Stefano, C. Borgna-Pignatti, A. Di Palma, A. Piga, C. Melevendi, F Di Gregorio, M.G. Burattini and S. Terzoli. 1989. Survival and causes of death in thalassaemia major. Lancet 2(8653):27-30.