- Volume 28 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Comparison of Blood Glucose Levels from the Fingertips of Both Patients with and without Diabetes Who are Receiving Dextrose Fluid Therapy
포도당 수액요법을 받는 당뇨병 환자와 비당뇨병 환자의 양쪽 손가락 끝 혈당치 비교
Park, Suk Hyun;Lee, Chang Kwan;Kim, Yeon Woo;Kwon, Chi Hye
- Received : 2015.10.29
- Accepted : 2016.04.22
- Published : 2016.04.30
Purpose: The aim of this study was to identify the effect of dextrose intravenous fluid (IVF) on the blood glucose levels taken from both fingertips of patients with diabetes mellitus (DM) and those without DM. Methods: From October 2012 to February 2013, 21 DM and 25 non-DM patients were recruited. Blood glucose levels taken from the both fingertips of patients at 7AM while IVF was not infusing and at 11AM, 5PM, and 9PM while IVF was infusing. Results: The differences between the mean values of blood glucose from the fingertips at four different times was not statistically significant in DM patients as well as non-DM patients. Also intra-class correlation for blood glucose levels from the fingertips with and without IVF infusion in both groups was shown over about 0.95 at each time (p<.001). Conclusion: Blood glucose levels measured in the same fingertips of both arms were the same regardless of dextrose IVF infusion. The results indicated that IVF with dextrose may not have any significant effect on the fingertip results of blood glucose level. This study may suggest that patients' both arms and any fingertips can be used for blood glucose monitoring even when the patients are on dextrose IVF infusion.
Diabetes mellitus;Fluid infusion;Blood glucose self-monitoring
- Jamieson EH, Whyte LA, McCal JM. Intravenous therapy. Clinical Nursing Practices. 5th ed. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone. 2007; p169-86. Cited by Younger G, Khan M. Setting up and priming an intravenous infusion, Nursing Standard. 2008;22(40):40-4. http://dx.doi.org/10.7748/ns2008.06.22.40.40.c6571
- Suh IS, Song SO, Park DP. Effect of starvation and perioperative fluid therapy on the blood glucose concentrations during anesthesia in children. Yeungnam University Medicine. 1984;8(1):89-93.
- Park JG, Cheun JK, Kim AR. The effect of IV solution during cesarean section on umbilical glucose, electrolyte and insulin. Journal of Korean Society of Anesthesiologists. 1995;28(5):661-8. https://doi.org/10.4097/kjae.1922.214.171.1241
- Watson KR, O’Kell RT, Joyce JT. Data regarding blood drawing sites in patients receiving intravenous fluids. American Journal of Clinical Pathology. 1983;79(1):119-21. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcp/79.1.119
- Chang CW, Chung JK. Changes in blood sugar, insulin, osmorality and electrolytes with intraoperative infusion of various situation. Korean Journal of Anesthesiology. 1987;20(5):656-67. https://doi.org/10.4097/kjae.19126.96.36.1996
- Huh IY, Baek CH, Lee JD, Shin JW, Gwak MJ. Effects of fluid therapy on serum glucose level in pediatric outpatients. Korean Journal of Anesthesiology. 2006 Feb;50(2):158-61. https://doi.org/10.4097/kjae.2006.50.2.158
- Yang JW. The relationship between blood glucose level and fluids administered during perioperative period in fasted children. [master's thesis]. Gwangju:Chosun University; 2010.
- Dungan KM, Braithwaite SS, Preiser JC. Stress hyperglycaemia. Lancet. 2009;373:1798-807. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(09)60553-5 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(09)60553-5
- Kim GS, Choi GY, Hyeun GS, Yoon YJ, Kim SY, Kim YS, et al. Medical surgical nursing. 7th ed. Seoul: Soomoonsa; 2014. p. 979, 1460-61, 1473.
- Korean Diabetes Association. Committee of Clinical Practice Guideline [Internet]. Seoul: Korean Diabetes Association; 2015. [cited 2016 April 19]. Available from: http://www.diabetes.or.kr/pro/publish/guide.php
- Isbell TS, Lyon ME. Glucose meters Where are we now? Where are we heading?. Medical Laboratory Observer. 2012 Jun;44(6):16-8.
- Korean Agency for Technology and Stands. In vitro diagnostics test systems- Requirements for blood glucose monitoring systems for self testing in managing diabetes mellitus. 2010. KSP ISO 15197.
- Park HJ, Park CS, Park CM, Ryu KH, Chang HW, Cho EJ, et al. Assessment of blood glucose values measured by blood gas analyzer or portable glucometer. Korean Journal of Anesthesiology. 2006;50(5):506-10. https://doi.org/10.4097/kjae.2006.50.5.506
- Diamond SA, Matok I. Pharmacists' anticipated pain compared to experienced pain associated with insulin pen injection and fingertip lancing. Canadian Journal of Diabetes. 2011;35(3):282-6. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S1499-2671(11)53012-6 https://doi.org/10.1016/S1499-2671(11)53012-6
- Park MS, Park KS, Kim KA, Cha YJ, Jun MH, Kim TI, et al. Pain and blood volume with different sampling sites and puncture depths in vacuum assisted auto lancing technique for blood glucose test. Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 2006;12(2):265-71.
- Lock JP, Szuts EZ, Malomo KJ, Anagnostopoulos A. Whole-blood glucose testing at alternate sites: Glucose values and hematocrit of capillary blood drawn from fingertip and forearm. Diabetes Care. 2002 Feb;25(2):337-41. https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.25.2.337
- Bina DM, Anderson RL, Johnson ML, Bergenstal RM, Kendall DM. Clinical impact of prandial state, exercise, and site preparation on the equivalence of alternative-site blood glucose testing. Diabetes Care. 2003 Apr;26(4):981-5. https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.26.4.981
- Ong YY, Boyken SF, Barnett RN. You can draw blood from the "IV arm" below the intravenous needle if you put a tourniquet in between. American Journal of Clinical Pathology. 1979;72(1):101-2. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcp/72.1.101
- Lee JS, Kim JY, Lee HS, Moon HG, Lee JR, Kim SA. Actual performance of self-monitoring of blood glucose by diabetic patients. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research. 2002;18(1):99-115.
- Cowett RM, D'Amico L. Capillary (Heelstick) versus venous blood sampling for the determination of glucose concentration in the neonate. Biology of the Neonate: Fetal and Neonatal Research. 1992;62:32-6.
- Choi JY. A Comparison on the degree of pain according to methods of blood sugar test between DM patients and healthy group. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2003;33(7):928-35. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2003.33.7.928
- Shin DW, Kim JS, Han SB, Lee JH, Kim AJ, Kim JH, et al. Evaluation of the fingerstick blood glucometer for patients with poor peripheral perfusion. Journal of the Korean Society of Emergency Medicine. 2002;13(1):73-7.
- Park KS, Song YY, Park MS, Kim KO, Choi SS, Kim KA, et al. Measurement accuracy of blood glucose test on the forearm. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society. 2009;10(9):2451-9. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2009.10.9.2451
Supported by : 삼성서울병원 간호본부