- Volume 28 Issue 2
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to provide basic data by surveying the literature for the past fifteen years (2001-2015). The focus of the search was death anxiety among the elderly. Methods: Sixty-two published works including graduate theses were selected for the Meta-analysis. Results: Study results showed that variables related to familial factors were the most often cited in the review of the manuscripts as relevant to death anxiety among the elderly. Specifically family support was most important. The other variables reported in the literature review were classified into four other groupings: social, physical, psychological, and demographics. The significant variable in the social grouping was religious activities, health promotion in the physical grouping and ego integrity in the psychological group. Conclusion: This study could provide effect sizes of variables based on materials, which are needed to make an intervention program that is related to death anxiety of the elderly. Since this study identified major variables as significant to death anxiety, several distinctions within these variables can be further studied as these relate to death anxiety.
Elderly;Death anxiety;Meta analysis
- Jo KH, Song BS. Effect of family cohesion, subjective happiness and other factors on death anxiety in Korean elders. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2012;42(5):680-8. http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2012.42.5.680 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2012.42.5.680
- Park SA, Hur JS. Determinants of the death anxiety among the elderly. Mental Health & Social Work. 2012;40(1):59-88.
- Nam KM, Jung EK. The influence of social activity and social support perceived by elderly women living alone on their quality of life: focusing on the mediating effect of depression and death-anxiety. Journal of Welfare for the Aged. 2010;52:325-48.
- Choi SG, Gang IH. Elderly welfare. Seoul:Seoul National University Press; 2008.
- Suh HK. The relationship between selected personal demographic variables and the four dimension of death anxiety-difference between elderly group and non-elderly group. Korean Society for Health Education and Promotion. 2007;24(1):109-25.
- Oh JT, Kim CG. Effects of death education on attitude toward death and depression in older adults. Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society. 2009;29:51-69.
- Chirkov V, Ryan RM, Kim Y, Kaplan U. Differentiating autonomy from individualism and independence: a self-determination theory perspective on internalization of cultural orientations and well-being. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. 2003;84(1):97-110. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.168 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.124
- Yoon HS, Lim YN, Koh YS, Beum KG. A study on the effect of spirituality, social support, depression to death anxiety of the older adults. Journal of Community Welfare. 2015;53:229-54. http://dx.doi.org/10.15300/jcw.2015.53.2.229 https://doi.org/10.15300/jcw.2015.53.2.229
- Statistics Korea. Population and cause of death [Internet]. Seoul: Statistics Korea. 2015 [cited 2015 October 20]. Available from: http://kosis.kr/statHtml/statHtml.do?orgId=101&tblId=DT_1B34E11&vw_cd=MT_PTITLE&list_id=I&scrId=&seqNo=&lang_mode=ko&obj_var_id=&itm_id=&conn_path=C2&path=%252FcustomStatis%252FcustomStatis_04List.jsp
- Lee HJ, Jo KH. A Path model for death anxiety to suicidal ideation of the elderly. Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society. 2006;26(4):717-31.
- Kim YS, Kim JM. The relationship between sociodemographic variables and death anxiety among the elderly. Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society. 2009;29(1):275-89.
- Oh SG, Joon CJ, Kim YH, Choi JM. Influence of depression on psychological death anxiety of the elderly: moderate effect of self-esteem. Journal of the Korea Contents Association. 2012;12(2):243-54. http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.02.243 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.02.243
- Lee JI, Kim SY. Factors influencing death anxiety in the aged. Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing. 2011;25(1):28-37.
- Borenstein M, Hedges LV, Higgins JPT, Rothstein HR. Introduction to meta-analysis. West Sussex, UK: Wiley; 2009.
- Audrey KM, Brittany LI, Craig EH. Death anxiety in persons with HIV/AIDS: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Death Studies. 2012;36:640-63. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/07481187.2011.604467 https://doi.org/10.1080/07481187.2011.604467
- Park WJ, Park SJ, Hwang SD. Effects of cognitive behavioral therapy on attention deficit hyperactivity disorder among school-aged children in Korea: a meta-analysis. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2015;45(2):169-82. http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2015.45.2.169 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2015.45.2.169
- Higgins JPT, Green S, editor. Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions: Version 5.1.0 [Internet]. Oxford, UK: The Cochrane Collaboration; 2011 [cited 2014 November 10]. Available from: http://handbook.cochrane.org/
- Kang JA. A meta analysis on variables related to the Korean elderly's successful aging [dissertation]. Daegu: Kyungpook National University; 2015.
- Egger M, Smith GD, Schneider M, Minder C. Bias in meta-analysis detected by a simple, graphical test. BMJ. 1997;315(7109):629-34. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.315.7109.629
- Cohen J. Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences. 2nd ed. Hillsdale, N.J.: L. Erlbaum Associates; 1988
- Park YG. Development of a tool to measure the death anxiety. [master's thesis]. Seoul: Korea University; 1995.
- Statistics Korea. The elderly Status [Internet]. Seoul: Statistics Korea; 2015 [cited 2015 October 20]. Available from: http://meta.narastat.kr/metasvc/svc/SvcMetaDcDtaPopup.do?orgId=117&confmNo=11771&kosisYn=Y
- Kwon HS. A meta analysis on variables related to suppression of depression of in-home elderly. Journal of Welfare for the Aged. 2013;61:241-66.
- Arora NK, Finney Ruttern LJ, Gustafson DH, Moser R, Hawkins RP. Perceived helpfulness and impact of social support provided by family, friend, and health care providers to women newly diagnosised with breast cancer. Psych-Oncology. 2007;16:475-86. http://dx.doi.org/ 10.1002/pon.1084. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.1084
- Bozo O, Tunca A, Simsek Y. The effect of death anxiety and age on health-promoting behaviors: a terror-management theory perspective. The Journal of Psychology, 2009;143(4):377-89. http://dx.doi.org/10.3200/JRLP.143.4.377-389. https://doi.org/10.3200/JRLP.143.4.377-389
- Sin SI. A meta-regression analysis on related variables of elders' quality of life. [dissertation]. Cheongju: Chungbuk National Universty; 2012.
- Depaola SJ, Griffin M, Young JR, Neimeyer RA. Death anxiety and attitudes toward the elderly among older adults: the role of gender and ethnicity. Death Studies. 2003;27(4):335-54. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/07481180302904 https://doi.org/10.1080/07481180302904
- Kim SH. A meta analysis of death education. The Korean Journal of Hospice and Palliative Care. 2015;18(3):196-207. http://dx.doi.org/10.14475/kjhpc.2015.18.3.196 https://doi.org/10.14475/kjhpc.2015.18.3.196
- Chung HA. A literature review a program of intervention of patient geriatric depression. The Journal of Occupational Therapy for the Aged and Dementia. 2008;2(1):59-67.
- Kim KH, Kwon HJ, Choi MH, Park YJ, Kim SK. Psychological and spiritual factors associated with death anxiety of elderly people living at home. The Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. 2010;19(1):96-115. https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2010.19.1.96