- Volume 28 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effects of Simulation-based Training for Basic Life Support Utilizing Video-assisted Debriefing on Non-Technical and Technical Skills of Nursing Students
비디오 디브리핑을 이용한 기본소생술 시뮬레이션 교육이 간호학생의 비기술적 술기와 기술적 술기 수행능력에 미치는 효과
- Received : 2016.02.01
- Accepted : 2016.04.18
- Published : 2016.04.30
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of simulation-based training (SBT) for basic life support (BLS) utilizing video-assisted debriefing (VAD) about non-technical skills (NTSs) and technical skills (TSs). The goal of the proposed study is the evaluation of a teaching method about the correct application of cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). Methods: The study design was a control group pre- and post-test non-synchronized experimental design. The sample included twelve teams of 36 nursing students. Both the experimental and the control groups received the SBT for BLS. Only the experimental groups received VAD where as the control groups had a verbal debriefing. Raters who used checklists for TSs and NTSs evaluated both groups. Data were analyzed by the SPSS 20.0 using Cronbach's
Video-assisted debriefing;Simulation-based training for basic life support;Non-technical skills;Technical skills
- Holmberg M, Holmberg S, Herlitz J. Effect of bystander cardiopulmonary resuscitation in out of hospital cardiac arrest patients in Sweden. Resuscitation. 2000;47:59-70. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0300-9572(00)00199-4 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0300-9572(00)00199-4
- Kim DH, Lee YJ, Hwang MS, Park JH, Kim HS, Cha HG. Effects of a simulation-based integrated clinical practice program (SICPP) on the problem solving process, Clinical competence and critical thinking in a nursing student. Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 2012;18(3):499-509. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.3.499
- Field JM, Hazinski MF, Sayre MR, Chameides M, Schexnayder MR, Hemphill R, et al. Part 1: executive summary of 2010 AHA guidelines for CPR and ECC. Circulation. 2010;122(3):S640-56. https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.110.970889
- Korea Association of Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation. Common cardiopulmonary resuscitation guideline development and distribution [Internet]. Seoul: Korea Association of Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation. 2011 [cited 2015 January 1]. Available from: http://www.kacpr.org/popup/file/2011_guidelines.pdf
- Flowerdew L, Brown R, Vincent C, Woloshynowych M. Development and validation of a tool to assess emergency physicians’ non-technical skills. Annals of Emergency Medicine. 2012;59(5):376-85.e4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annemergmed.2011.11.022
- Agency for Healthcare Research Quality. Strategies and tools to enhance performance and patient safety [Internet]. U.S.: Department of Health and Human Services. 2009 [cited 2015 January 1]. Available from: http://teamstepps.ahrq.gov/index.htm accessed April 2011).
- Cooper S, Cant R, Porter J, Missen K, Sparkes L, McConnell-Henry T, et al. Managing patient deterioration: assessing teamwork and individual performance. Emergency Medical Journal. 2013;30(5):377-81. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/emermed-2012-201312 https://doi.org/10.1136/emermed-2012-201312
- Walkera S, Brettb S, McKayc A, Lambdend S, Vincente C, Sevdalise N. Observational Skill-based Clinical Assessment tool for Resuscitation (OSCAR): development and validation. Resuscitation. 2011;82:835-44. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.resuscitation.2011.03.009 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resuscitation.2011.03.009
- Andersen PO, Jensen MK, Lippert A, Ostergaard D, Klausenb TW. Development of a formative assessment tool for measurement of performance in multi-professional resuscitation teams. Resuscitation. 2010;81:703-11. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.resuscitation.2010.01.034 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resuscitation.2010.01.034
- Judy JR. Catherine B. Facilitated debriefing. In: Wendy MN, Felissa RL editors. High-fidelity patient simulation in nursing education. Sudbury MA: Jones and Bartlett; 2008. p. 369-85.
- Scherer LA, Chang MC, Meredith JW, Battistella FD. Videotape review leads to rapid and sustained learning. American Journal of Surgery. 2003;185(6):516-20. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0002-9610(03)00062-X https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-9610(03)00062-X
- Boet S, Bould D, Bruppacher HR, Desjardins F, Chandra DB, Naik VN. Looking in the mirror: self-debriefing versus instructor debriefing for simulated crisis. Critical Care Medicine. 2011;39(6):1377-81. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/CCM.0b013e31820eb8be https://doi.org/10.1097/CCM.0b013e31820eb8be
- Sanborn DE, Pyke HF, Sanborn CJ. Videotape playback and psychotherapy: a review. Psychotherapy: Theory, Research & Practice. 1975;12(2):179-86. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/h0086424 https://doi.org/10.1037/h0086424
- Rogers A. Videotape feedback in group psychotherapy. Psychotherapy; Theory, Research, and Practice. 1985;5:37-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/h0088647
- Newby T, Stepich D, Lehman J, Russell J. Instructional technology for teaching and learning. USA: Prentice-Hall Inc; 2000.
- Park IH. The effects of video-aided feedback in pre and post operative nursing simulation practice. [master's thesis]. Asan: Soonchunhyang University; 2013.
- Kim JY. Development of a scenario of simulation and analysis of the effect of debriefing. [master's thesis]. Sungnam: Eulji University; 2012.
- Grant J, Moss J, Epps C, Watts P. Using video-facilitated feedback to improve student performance following high-fidelity simulation. Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2010;6(5):e177-84. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2009.09.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2009.09.001
- Roh YS, Kelly M, Ha EH. Comparison of instructor-led versus peer-led debriefing in nursing students. Nursing and Health Sciences. 2016;18(2):238-45. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/nhs.12259 https://doi.org/10.1111/nhs.12259
- Nadler I, Sanderson P, Van Dyken C, Davis P, Liley H. Presenting video recordings of newborn resuscitation in debriefing for teamwork training. BMJ Quality & Safety. 2010;20(2):1639. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmjqs.2010.043547
- Cooper S, Bogossian FE. Managing patient deterioration: enhancing nurses' competence through face-to-face and web based simulation techniques. 3rd ed. Melbourne: Victoria; 2013. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/emermed-2012-201312
- Luctkar-Flude M, Baker C, Pulling C, Mcgraw R, Dagnone D, Medves J, et al. Evaluating an undergraduate interprofessional simulation based educational module: communication, teamwork, and confidence performing cardiac resuscitation skills. Advances in Medical Education and Practice. 2010;1:59-66. http://dx.doi.org/10.2147/AMEP.S14100 https://doi.org/10.2147/AMEP.S14100
- Pucher PH, Aggarwal R, Singh P, Srisatkunam T, Twaij A, Darzi A. Ward simulation to improve surgical ward round performance. Annals of Surgery. 2014;260(2):236-43. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0000000000000557 https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0000000000000557
- Jung JS, Hur HK. Effectiveness and retention of repeated simulation-based basic life support training for nursing students. Journal of Korean Critical Care Nursing. 2013;6(2):24-36.
- Richard HR. Manual of simulation in healthcare. Korean Society for Simulation in Healthcare, translator. Seoul: Yedang; 2010.
- Dufrene C, Young A. Successful debriefing-best methods to achieve positive learning outcomes: a literature review. Nurse Education Today. 2014;34(3):372-6. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2013.06.026 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2013.06.026
- Bowden T, Rowlands A, Buckwell M, Abbott S. Web-based video and feedback in the teaching of cardiopulmonary resuscitation. Nurse Education Today. 2011;32(4):443-7. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2011.04.003
- Kardong-Edgren SE, Starkweather AR, Ward LD. The integration of simulation into a clinical foundations of nursing course: student and faculty perspectives. International Journal of Nursing Education Scholarship. 2008;5(1):1-16. http://dx.doi.org/10.2202/1548-923X.1603 https://doi.org/10.2202/1548-923X.1603
- Kim JR. English teaching and learning model development using interactive white boards. Korean Journal of Teacher Education. 2009;25(1):109-41.
- Andersen PO, Jensen MK, Lippert A, Osterggard D. Identifying non-technical skills and barriers for improvement of teamwork in cardiac arrest teams. Resuscitation. 2010;81:695-702. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.resuscitation.2010.01.024 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resuscitation.2010.01.024
- Effect of Debriefing Based on the Clinical Judgment Model on Simulation Based Learning Outcomes of End-of-Life Care for Nursing Students: A Non-Randomized Controlled Trial vol.47, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2017.47.6.842