- Volume 20 Issue 1
Purpose: This study investigated factors related to empowerment of paramedic students. Methods: A total of 208 students in the department of emergency medical services who experienced clinical practice at 5 universities were selected by convenience sampling methods. Differences in empowerment by general and major-related characteristics were evaluated using a t-test and analysis of variance. The association between satisfaction with clinical practice and empowerment was tested using correlation coefficients. Multiple linear regression analysis was performed to investigate the factors associated with empowerment. Results: The levels of overall satisfaction with clinical practice and empowerment were 107.48 and 99.46, respectively. In simple analysis, empowerment level was associated with general characteristics, major-related characteristics, characteristics of clinical practice, and satisfaction with clinical practice. Empowerment level was significantly higher in older subjects (
Clinical practice;Emergency medical service;Emergency medical technician;Empowerment;Satisfaction
- Park IS, Lee SH. A study on the satisfaction of clinical training according to dental hygienist duties. J Dent Hyg Sci 2007;7(4):295-302.
- Choi MY, Moon TY, Lee HJ. Influence of critical thinking disposition on satisfaction with clinical practice and intention of recommendation among paramedic students. J Korea Acad Industr Coop Soc 2013;14(3):1301-12. http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.3.1301 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.3.1301
- Kang CH, Yun MW. A study of social workers' empowerment level and its predictors: Cases of social workers in community welfare centers. Korean J Social Welfare Studies 2000;41(5):7-42.
- Bolton B, Brooking J. Development of a measure of intrapersonal empowerment. Rehabil Psychol 1998;43(2):131-42. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0090-5518.104.22.168 https://doi.org/10.1037/0090-5522.214.171.124
- Lee HK. Impact of the empowerment of dental paersonnels. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2010;10(2):297-310.
- Cheryl H. Gibson BN. A concept analysis of empowerment. J Adv Nurs 1991;23(2):354-61. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.1991.tb01660.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.1991.tb01660.x
- Choi JY, Kim EK, Kim SY. Effects of empowerment and job satisfaction on nursing performance of clinical nurses. J Korean Acad Nurs Adm 2014;20(4):426-36. http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.4.426 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.4.426
- Choi SS, Park J, Ryu SY, Han MA. Current status of clinical practice and associated factors with satisfaction among students in the department of emergency medical service. Korean J Emerg Med Ser 2012;8(16):9-22.
- Choi MY. The study on the impact of social work practicum on empowerment. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University 2008, Seoul, Korea.
- Kang YH, Park JS. Influencing factors on empowerment improvement in health-related college students experienced clinical practice. J Korea Cont Assoc 2012;12(7):223-31. http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.07.223 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.07.223
- Seo IS, Oh SM, Choi DW, Park HO, Ma RW. Effects of basic clinical practice program in academic motivation critical thinking and clinical nursing competence of nursing students. J Korea Acad Industr Coop Soc 2014;16(4):2276-84.
- Han SJ. A study on relationship between empowerment and satisfaction of clinical practice in nursing students. J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Educ 2000;6(1):132-46.
- Lee SH, Kim SY, Kim JA. Nursing students' image of nurse and satisfaction with clinical practice. J Korean Acad Nurs Adm 2004;10(2):219-31.
- Joo AR. The effect of the empowerment education program for prevention of internet games addiction in middle school students. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Chonnam National University, Gwangju 2006.
- Park DS, Nam KW. Correlation study on the relationship between motivation for achievement and satisfaction on clinical practice in EMT students. Korean J Emerg Med Ser 2007;11(3):47-64.
- Nam KH. A study on the relationship of empowerment with job satisfaction and organizational commitment perceived by nurses. Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul University 2001, Seoul, Korea.
- Choi J. The relationship between leadership styles and empowerment of nursing students. J Korean Acad Nurs Adm 2006;12(2):196-203.
- Park MS, Lee MH, Gu JA. Clinical competency, professional self-concept, and satisfaction of clinical practice in undergraduate nursing students. J Military Nurs Res 2011;29(2):111-23.
- Kwon HR. Study on reality of field practice and improvements by students of emergency medical technology. Korean J Emerg Med Ser 2002;6(6):15-26.
- Lee HJ, Kim GM, Joh JH. The correlations between the egostates and the burnout of 119 paramedics by egogram. Korean J Emerg Med Ser 2010;15(3):19-30.
- Seo ST. Research on the improvement of recruit system for fire service. Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul University 2008, Seoul, Korea.
- Kim MS, Park SM, Wang Chengying, Seo HY, Joo YJ, Lee KY et al. The motivation of selecting major, the satisfaction of major and view of occupation for EMT students. Korean J Emerg Med Ser 2010;14(3):29-40.
- Baek ML. An initial clinical experience of EMT students. Korean J Emerg Med Ser 2003;12(7):95-108.
- Lyu KY, Kim HS. Satifaction and improvement of clinical experiment of student radiotechnologists. J Radiol Sci Technol 2006;29(4):303-10.
- Kim YH. Relationship of self efficacy, self-directedness and practice satisfaction to clinical practice education in nursing students. J Korean Acad Fundam Nurs 2009;16(3):307-15.
- Lim SA, Youn HJ. Influencing factors for the empowerment of the dental hygiene students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013;13(4):669-76. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/iksdh.2013.13.4.669 https://doi.org/10.13065/iksdh.2013.13.4.669
- 1. Convergence of Explanation Meeting in Cadaveric Dissection with Communication Skill : Correlation between Self-evaluation Factor and Academic Achievement of Medical Students vol.14, pp.8, 2016, doi:10.14408/KJEMS.2016.20.1.017