- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Influences of stress and fatigue on periodontal health indicators in patients with periodontal disease
치주질환자의 스트레스와 피로가 치주건강 지표에 미치는 영향
Jo, Ji-Young;Jeong, Ji-Hye;Lee, So-Young;Kwun, Hyeon-Sook;Park, Kyeong-Lok;Urm, Sang-Hwa;Yu, Byeng-Chul
- Received : 2015.09.14
- Accepted : 2016.04.07
- Published : 2016.04.30
Objectives: The purpose of this study was to investigate the influential factors of stress and fatigue on peridontal indicators in patients with periodontal disease. Methods: A self-administrated questionnaire study was conducted during November 2012 to January 2013 with 140 periodontal patients. The Fatigue and Stress were evaluated with Multidimensional Fatigue Scale(MFS) and Psychosocial Well-bing Index(PWI). Periodontal health indicators were consisted with gingival index and pocket depth. Data were analyzed by descriptive analysis, t-test, ANOVA, and multiple regression analysis. Results: Overall stress and fatigue level of subjects were
gingival index;Multidimensional Fatigue Scale(MFS);periodontal disease;periodontal pocket depth;Psychosocial Well-being Index(PWI);stress
- Armitage GC. Development of a classification system for periodontal diseases and conditions. Northwest Dent 2000; 79: 31-5.
- Han GS, Bae KH, Lee MJ, Choi JS. Evaluation of periodontal status according to sociodemographic and health behavior characteristics. J Den Hyg Sci 2008; 8(4): 395-401.
- Brown LJ, Oliver RC, Loe H. Periodontaldisease in the U.S. in 1981 prevalence, severity, extent, and role in the tooth mortality. J Periodontol 1989; 60: 363-70. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.1918.104.22.1683
- Han KY, Lim KJ. A study on the rate of each tooth loss due to periodontal disease during surgical periodontal treatment. J Periodontal Implant Sci 1990; 20(2): 165.
- Lee JB. Serum lipid and antioxidant status in person with stress. Korean J Acan Fan Med 2000; 21: 514-21.
- Hong MH. The influence of stress on oral mucosal disease, dry mouth and stress symptoms in adults. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013; 13(4): 589-96. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/iksdh.2013.13.4.589. https://doi.org/10.13065/iksdh.2013.13.4.589
- Ryu JW, Yoon CL, Ahn JM. Application of stress hormones in saliva research of oroficial pain related with stress. Korean Acad Orofacial Pain and Oral Med 2007; 2: 201-10.
- Monteiradasilva A, Newmann H, Oakley D. Psychosocial factors in c periodontal diseases. J Clin Periodontol 1995; 22: 516-26. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.1995.tb00799.x
- Pruett SB. Stress and the immune system. Pathophysiology 2003; 9(3): 133-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0928-4680(03)00003-8
- Choi SH, Jeong WK, Choi MS, Choi SS, Choi JS, Hong SM. Periodontology. 1st ed. Seoul: Hyunmoon; 2008: 43, 49, 52-4.
- Schwartz JE, Jandorf L, Krupp LB. The measurement of fatigue: a new instrument. J Psychosom Res 1993; 37(7): 753-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3999(93)90104-N
- Kim IW. Effect of occupational stress and type A behavior pattern on self-perceived fatigue[Doctoral dissertation]. Seoul: Univ. of Yonsei, 2007.
- Lee BC. (A) study on the fatigue of shorter working hours office workers[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Yonsei, 2004.
- Lee HR. (A) study on the stress of hospital workers[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Yonsei, 2003.
- Jang JH, Park DY, Ryu DY. The effect of garlic extract on antibacterial activity of periopathogens. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012; 12(3): 631-40. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.3.631
- Ryu HK. A study on the effects of the stress and stress coping method on the periodontal disease[Doctor's dissertation]. Kyungsan: Univ. of Yeungnam, 2012.
- Cheon HW. Analysis of factors for relationship between oral disease and chronic disease[Doctoral dissertation]. Iksan: Univ. of Wonkwang, 2011.
- R Akhter, MA Hannan, R Okhubo, M Morita. Relationship between stress factorand periodontal disease in a rural area population in Japan. European J Med Res 2005; 10(8): 352-9.
- Mullally BH, Linden GJ. The periodontal condition of regular dental attenders in Northern Ireland. J Clin Periodontol 1992; 19(3): 174-81. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.1992.tb00635.x
- Park EY. Relationship between stress and health behaviors practice. Korean J Fam Pract 2000; 235: 1436-50.
- Deinzer R, Rutermann S, Moes O, Herforth A. Increase in gingival inflammation under academic stress. Journal of clinical periodontology 1998; 25(5): 431-3. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.1998.tb02467.x
- Genco RJ, Ho AW, Grossi SG, Dunford R, Tedesco L. Relationship of stress, distress, and inadequate coping behaviors to periodontal disease. J Periodontology 1999; 70(7): 711-23. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.1922.214.171.1241
- Hugo FN, Hilgert JB, Bozzetti DR, Goncalves TR, Pawlowski J, de Sousa Mda L. Chronic stress, depression, and cortisol levels as risk indicators of elevated plaque and gingivitis levels in individuals aged 50 years and older. J Periodontal 2006; 77(6): 1008-14. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2006.050037
- Lee YS, Kim SM, Han KY, Kim BO, Yun CY. Investigation of age and treatment modalities in the periodontally treated(1981-1995) patients. J Periodontal Implant Sci 2001; 31(1): 225-31. http://dx.doi.org/10.5051/jkape.2001.31.1.225.