- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Oral health and behavior by diabetic status: the fifth Korea national health and nutrition examination survey
당뇨상태에 따른 구강상태 및 행태: 제5기 국민건강영양조사
Han, Yeo-Jung;Han, Mi Ah
- Received : 2015.11.06
- Accepted : 2016.04.04
- Published : 2016.04.30
Objectives: The aim of this study was to evaluate the oral health status and behavior in Korean diabetic adults. Methods: The study subjects were 11,840 adults who participated in the fifth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey(2010-2012). Diabetic status was defined by doctors and fasting blood sugar(FBS) level. Oral health status was assessed by decayed-missing-filled teeth(DMFT), community periodontal index(CPI), periodontal disease, denture needs, limitation of oral function, and chewing difficulty. The oral health behavior was evaluated by oral examination within a year, brushing times a day, and use of auxiliary oral product. The data were analyzed by descriptive analysis, chi-square tests and multiple logistic regression analyses. Results: The prevalence rate of diabetes mellitus diagnosed by doctor and FBS was 8.3% and 10.2%, respectively. The prevalence rate of periodontitis was 25.4%. The proportions of
diabetic;oral health status;related factors
- Statistics Korea. Korea Statistical Information System (KOSIS), Statistics DB, Life tables[Internet]. [cited 2016 Jan 10]. Available from: http://kosis.kr/statisticsList/ statisticsList_01List.jsp?vwcd=MT_ZTITLE&parmTabId=M_01_01.
- Health Insurance Review and Assessment Service. Hospital assessment report[Internet]. [cited 2016 Jan 10]. Available from: http://www.hira.or.kr/re/diag/getDiagEvlList.do?pgmid=HIRAA030004000000.
- Lamster IB, Lalla E, Borgnakke WS, Taylor GW. The relationship between oral health and diabetes mellitus. J Am Dent Assoc 2008; 139 Suppl: 19-24. http://dx.doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.2008.0363.
- Aronson D, Edelman ER. Coronary Artery Disease and Diabetes Mellitus. Cardiol Clin 2014; 32(3): 439-55. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ccl.2014.04.001. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ccl.2014.04.001
- Tsai C, Hayes C, Taylor GW. Glycemic control of type 2 diabetes and severe periodontal disease in the US adult population. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2002; 30(3): 182-92. http://dx.doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-0528.2002.300304.x. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-0528.2002.300304.x
- Sandberg GE, Sundberg HE, Fjellstrom CA, Wikblad KF. Type 2 diabetes and oral health:a comparison between diabetic and non-diabetic subjects. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 2000; 50(1): 27-34. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/s0168-8227(00)00159-5.
- Lee JH. Oral condition in diabetes mellitus[Master's thesis]. Dae-gu: Univ. of Yeungnam, 2006.
- Kim HS. A clinical study on the periodontal status of the patient with diabetes mellitus[Master's thesis]. Gwang-ju: Univ. of Chosun, 1992.
- Choi JS, Han SJ, Lee MJ. Association between oral health behavior and the hemoglobin A1c level in type 2 diabetic patients. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2009; 33(3): 388-99.
- Jin HJ, Kim HY. Relationship between Impaired Fasting Glucose and Periodontal Health among Adults. J Korea Acad Industr Coop Soc 2011; 12(11): 5034-42. http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/kais.2011.12.11.5034. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.11.5034
- Kim YS, Jeon JH, Min HH. The association between diabetes mellitus and community periodontal index: The 5th Korean National Health and Nutrition examination survey. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014; 14(6): 805-12. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.06.805. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.06.805
- Park JH. Relationship among impaired fasting glucose and diabetes and periodontal disease. J Korea Acad Industr Coop Soc 2015; 16(1): 389-96. http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/kais.2015.16.1.389. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.1.389
- Kim YS, Jeon JH, Min HH. The association between diabetes mellitus and community periodontal index: the 5th korean national health and nutrition examination survey. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014; 14(6): 805-12. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.06.805. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.06.805
- Gotfredsen K, Walls AW. What dentition assures oral function?. Clin Oral Implants Res 2007; 18(3): 34-45. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0501.2007.01436.x.
- Park JB. The relationship of oral health belief, oral health practice and OHIP-14 amang adult vistors at Gijang public health center[Master's thesis]. Gimhae: Univ. of Inje, 2013.
- Joshipura KJ, Rimm EB, Douglass CW. Poor oral health and coronary heart disease. Journal of Dental Research 1996; 75(9): 1631-6. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/00220345960750090301. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345960750090301
- Wakai K, Kawamura T, Umemura O. Associations of medical status and physical fitness with periodontal disease. J Clin Periodontol 1999; 26(10): 6664-72. http://dx.doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-051x.1999.261006.x.
- Destefano F, Anda RF, Kahn HS, Williamson DF, Russell CM. Dental disease and risk of coronary heart disease and mortality. Br Med J 1993; 306: 688-91. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmj.306.6879.688. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.306.6879.688
- Beck J, Garcia R, Heiss G, Vokonas PS, Offenbacher S. Periodontal disease and cardio vascular disease. J Periodontol 1996; 67: 1123-37. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.1996.67.10s.1123
- Statistics Korea. Korea Statistical Information System (KOSIS), Statistics DB, Annual report on the cause of death statistics in Korea[Internet]. [cited 2016 Jan 10]. Available from: http://kosis.kr/statisticsList/statisticsList_01List.jsp?#SubCont.
- Choi JS. Relationship between the self-reported oral health status and hemoglobin alc level among diabetic patients. Korean J Health Educ Promot 2008; 25(1): 55-69.
- Lee KD, Lee HK. DMFT Index, Periodontal index and oral hygiene status in diabetic patients. Yeungnam Univ J Med 2005; 22(1): 62-71. https://doi.org/10.12701/yujm.2005.22.1.62
- Murrah VA. Diabetes mellitus and associated oral manifestation: a review. J Oral Pathol Med 1985; 14(4): 271-81. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0714.1985.tb00494.x. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0714.1985.tb00494.x
- Bacic M, Ciglar I, Granic M, Plancak D, Sutalo J. Dental status in group of adult diabetic patients. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 1989; 17(6): 313-6. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/ j.1600-0528.1989.tb00645.x. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.1989.tb00645.x
- Baek HJ, Chio YH, Lee SG, Song KB, Kwon HJ. The association of metabolic syndrome and periodontitis in Korean adult population. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2010; 34(3): 338-45.
- Mealey BL, Moritz AJ. Hormonal influences: effects of diabetes mellitus and endogenous female sex steroid hormones on the periodontium. Periodontol 2003; 32: 59-81. http://dx.doi.org/10.1046/j.0906-6713.2002.03206.x. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.0906-6713.2002.03206.x
- Jung MH, Gwon MY, Kim YS. A study on the oral health and status in diabetic patients-based on data of 2006 national oral health survey. J Dent Hyg Sci 2009; 9(5): 571-7.
- Afonso-Souza G, Nadanovsky P, Chor D, Faerstein E, Werneck GL, Lopes CS. Association between routine visits for dental checkup and self-perceived oral health in an adult population in rio de janeiro: the pro-saude study. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2007; 35: 393-400. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.0301-5661.2007.00343.x. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.2006.00343.x
- Skyler JS, Bergenstal R, Bonow RO, Buse J, Deedwania P, Gale EA, et al. Intensive glycemic control and the prevention of cardiovascular events: implications of the ACCORD, ADVANCE, and VA diabetes trials: a position statement of the American Diabetes Association and a Scientific Statement of the American College of Cardiology Foundation and the American Heart Association. J Am Coll Cardiol 2009; 53: 298-304. http://dx.doi.org/10.2337/dc09-9030. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2008.10.008
- Ju OJ. Impact of oral health behaviors on the presence or absence of periodontal diseases and missing tooth. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011; 11(4): 511-22.
- Factors Related to the Experience of Dental Treatments Performed by Unqualified Dental Practitioners in Diabetes Mellitus: Results from The 2013 Community Health Survey vol.12, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2018.12.2.015