- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Influencing factors on mouthguard awareness and educational needs for coping methods of oral and maxillofacial injuries in physical education department students
체육전공대학생의 구강보호장치 인식도 및 구강악안면 외상 대처방법에 관한 교육요구도에 영향을 미치는 요인
- Received : 2015.12.29
- Accepted : 2016.04.05
- Published : 2016.04.30
Objectives: The purpose of the study was to investigate the mouthguard awareness and educational needs for coping methods of oral and maxillofacial trauma in physical education department students. Methods: A self-reported questionnaire was completed by 250 male students in gyeonggido and Jeonbuk province from June, to August, 2015. survey was conducted from June to August, 2015. The students were those who played taekwondo, football, and kendo. Except incomplete answers, 229 data were analyzed. The questionnaire consisted of general characteristics of the students, awareness and use of mouthguards, and educational needs for coping methods for oral and maxillofacial injuries. The Cronbach alpha of mouthguard awareness was 0.838, and that of educational needs for coping methods for oral and maxillofacial injuries was 0.843 in the study. Results: Those who wore mouthguards tended to have higher score of awareness and the demand of coping methods for oral and maxillofacial injuries was higher than those who did not. Those who had higher awareness of mouthguards and oral health maintained their good oral health. Conclusions: The mouthguard is very important to protect from the oral and maxillofacial injuries in sports play, it is important to emphasize the mouthguard wearing in the physical education department students.
mouthguard;oral and maxillofacial injuries;oral and maxillofacial injuries remedy;physical education department students
- Noh KT, Kim IH, Roh HS, Kim JY, Woo YH, Kwon KR, et al. Finite element analysis of the effects of a mouthguard on stress distribution of facial bone and skull under mandibular impacts. J Korean Acad Prosthodont 2012; 50: 1-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.4047/jkap.2012.50.1.1. https://doi.org/10.4047/jkap.2012.50.1.1
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. 2006 Oral health survey. Seoul: Ministry of Health and Welfare; 2007: 102.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. 2010 Oral health survey. Seoul: Ministry of Health and Welfare; 2010: 320-30.
- Kececi AD, Eroglu E, Baydar ML. Dental traua incidence and mouthguard use in elite athletes in Turkey. Dent Traumatol 2005; 21: 76-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-9657.2004.00302.x
- Ferrari CH, Ferreria de Mederios JM. Dental trauma and level of information: mouthguard use in different contact sports. Dent Traumatol 2002; 18: 144-7. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-9657.2002.00017.x
- Sane J, Ylipaavalniemi P. Dental trauma in contact team sports. Endod Dent Traumatol 1988; 4: 164-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-9657.1988.tb00316.x
- Knapik JJ, Marshall SW, Lee RB, Darakjy SS, Jones SB, Mitchener TA, et al. Mouthguards in sport activities: history, physical properties and injury prevention effectiveness. Sports Med 2007; 37: 117-44. https://doi.org/10.2165/00007256-200737020-00003
- Flanders RA, Bhat M. The incidence of orofacial injuries in sports. J Am Dent Assoc 1995; 126: 491-6. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.1995.0213
- Newsome PR, Tran DC, Cooke MS. The role of the mouthguards in the prevention of sports-related dental injuries: a review. Int J Pediatr Dent 2001; 11(6): 396-404. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.0960-7439.2001.00304.x
- An SJ, Lee SB. The effect on appendage muscle strength due to increase in occlusal vertical dimension. J Korean Acad Stomatognathic Funct Occlusion 2001; 17(4): 232-44.
- Guk JS, Woo SH. Use of mouth among sport players. J Korean Cont Assoc 2010; 10(5): 297-302.
- Kaste LM, Gift HC, Bhat M, Swango PA. Prevalence of incisor trauma in persons 6-50 years of age: United States, 1988-1991. J Dent Res 1996; 75: 696-705. https://doi.org/10.1177/002203459607502S09
- Paek KH, Jang JH, Lee YS. The relationship between maxillofacial injury and the use of mouth-gards in athletes. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2009; 9(3): 545-57.
- Kim IJ. First aid knowledge and educational needs of oral and maxillofacial trauma among elementary school teachers [Master's thesis]. Iksan: Univ. of Wonkwang, 2014.
- Adair SM, Durr DP. Practical clinical appli-cations of sports dentistry in private pratice. Dent Clin. North Am 1991; 35(4): 757-70.
- Pinkham JR, Kohn DW. Epidemiology and prediction of sports-related traumatic injuries. Dent Clin. North Am 1991; 35(4): 609-26.
- Park JH, Lee SB, Kwon KR, Choi DG. Effect of a mouthguard on etress distribution in teeth, maxilla and mandible for maxilla and mandibular impact using finite element analysis. J Korean Acad Prosthodont 2006; 44: 537-48.
- Jang KA. Influencing factors on oral and maxillofacial trauma prevention education experience of students majoring in physical education. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014; 14(6): 915-20. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.06.915. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.06.915
- Padilla R, Balikov S. Sports dentistry: coming of age in the '90s. Calif Dent Assoc 1993; 21(4): 27-34.
- Park YS. Sports-related oral and maxillofacial trauma and mouthguard use in korean national university of physical education[Master's thesis]. Iksan: Univ. of Wonkwang, 2000.
- Heintz W. mouth protecters. J Am Dent Assoc 1968; 77: 632-6. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.1968.0267
- Lee YS, Ahn YS, Lee GD, Kim JB, Jeon JG, Chang KW. Oral injury and mouthguards usage in physical education high school in Korea. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2005; 29(3): 261-70.
- Adegbesan OA, Onyeaso CO. Perception of Nigerian athletes of the use of mouth guards to prevent the stresses of sports injury. Br J Sports Med 2004; 38(6): 685-9. https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsm.2003.004838
- Jang JH, Kim JH. Correlation between maxillofacial injury, use of mouth guards and stress in physical education majoring male students. Korean J Emerg Med Ser 2013; 17(2): 89-97. https://doi.org/10.14408/KJEMS.2013.17.2.089
- Park SS, Oh HW, Lee HS. Cross-sectional survey on maxillofacial injuries of elementary school students and the perception of parents. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2009; 33(2): 276-87.
- Raphael SL, Gregory PJ. Parental awareness of the emergency management of avulsed teeth in children. Aust Dent J 1990; 35(2): 130-3. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1834-7819.1990.tb05878.x
- Newman LJ, Crawford PJ. Dental injuries: “first-aid” knowledge of Southampton teachers of physical education. Endod Dent Traumatol 1991; 7(6): 255-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-9657.1991.tb00213.x
- Lee KH, Jung TS, Kim S. A survey on the awareness of elementary school teachers about the first aid treatment of traumatized teeth. J Korean Acad Pediatr Dent. 2004; 31(1): 114-9.
- Yoon YM, Lee NY, Lee SH, Jang HG. Dental trauma management knowledge among a group of teachers in Gwang-ju. J Korean Acad Pediatr Dent 2011; 38(3): 217-28. https://doi.org/10.5933/JKAPD.2011.38.3.217
- Ranalli DN, Lancaster DM. Attitudes of college football of facials regarding NCAA mouthguard regulations and player compliance. J Public Health Dent 1993; 53: 96-100. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-7325.1993.tb02682.x
- Seong SC. Wrestling and sports injuries. Kor J Sports Med 1983; 1(2): 159-64.
Supported by : 호원대학교