- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Awareness and needs for English learning in allied health science college students
보건계열 학생들의 영어학습에 대한 인식 및 요구도
Yoo, Eun-Mi;Lee, Eun-Ji;Seo, Hye-Yeon;Kang, Min-Kyung;Choi, Yu-Ri
- Received : 2015.12.30
- Accepted : 2016.04.12
- Published : 2016.04.30
Objectives: The purpose of this study is to investigate the awareness and needs of English learning in allied health science college students. Methods: A self-reported questionnaire was filled out by 600 health science college students in Seoul, Gyeonggi and Incheon province. The questionnaire consisted of purpose of English learning, attitude and motivation. Data were analyzed by SPSS 19.0 program. Results: Most of the students took English classes(96%) and the English class was mainly done by instruction-centered learning (43.6%). Many students felt the needs of English and they thought English was the most important tool for getting a job(70.7%). Nonetheless most of the students lacked in confidence and interest in English learning due to the surrounding pressure(51.2%). Too much surrounding pressure can cause students lose their zest in English learning. Conclusions: It is need to seek for a curriculum consisting of practical purposes to meet the needs of health science college students about English learning.
English learning;allied health science college;awareness;learning method
- Shin SH. A study on employment stress and self-esteem of health college students. J Dent Hyg Sci 2012; 12(3): 217-25. http://dx.doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2014.23.3.146.
- Lee HH, Lee BS. Key elements for the improvement of healthcare devices for foreigners in korea: a delphi study. J Korean Acad Nurs Admin 2012; 18(2): 137-45. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.2.137
- Park HY. Critical discourse analysis of "english-learning" boom: In the lens of social symbolization. Sociolinguistic Soc Korea 2006; 14(2): 169-96.
- Park HS. Consideration on english as a lingua franca in the Korean EFL context. Human Sci Stud 2010; 24: 107-22.
- Cheon SH, Choi GY. The recognition on english interests and anxiety in dental hygiene students. J Korea Soc dent hyg 2014; 14(5): 631-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2014.214.05.631. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.05.631
- Lee JH. College students' selection process of english learning: an analysis in perspective of subject mismatch and perceived budget constraints. Asia J Edu 2012; 13(2): 25-56. https://doi.org/10.15753/aje.2012.13.2.002
- Kim SS. A study on ways for improving a general english program at a university: based on the analysis of teachers and students needs[Doctor dissertation]. Daegu: Univ. of Yeungnam, 2009.
- Kim JS. A study on the curriculum of english for major course works in the dental hygiene department: with a focus on three-year dental hygiene departments[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Kyung-hee, 2012.
- Cho SE, Hwang SS. Consideration of current states of college-level english medium instruction and exploration of future direction: with a special reference to students' perception and satisfaction classified as their English proficiency level. SMOG 2013; 71: 175-94.
- Park JH. Study of abilities required to develop for student in nursing education. J Korean Acad Nurs Admin 2011; 17(1): 74-87. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.1.74
- Lee KH, Hong JY. Study on the situations and learning effect of english medium instruction at korean universities. J Loc Educ Man 2015; 18(1): 1-22.
- Lee JH, Park HJ. College students' selection process of english learning: an analysis in perspective of subject mismatch and perceived budget constraints. Asia J Edu 2012; 13(2): 25-56. https://doi.org/10.15753/aje.2012.13.2.002
- Park HS. The effects of l2 learners' motivation and anxiety on english speaking skills. For Lang Edu 2006; 13(4): 219-41.
- Lee JS. Doctors' needs analysis for developing ESP course for medical students. J English Lang Liter 2012; 54(1): 273-97.
- Choi YR, Lee EJ, Yoo EM, Seo HY, Park JR. Attitude toward english learning in the dental hygiene students. J Korea Soc Dent Hyg 2014; 14(5): 641-8. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.05.641. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.05.641
- Bae SH. (A) study on english language motivation and satisfaction of the students attending in emi[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Yonsei, 2007.