- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Influence of self-control on stress management and oral health related quality of life in high school students
일부 고등학생의 자기 통제력이 스트레스와 구강건강 관련 삶의 질에 대한 조절효과 연구
- Received : 2016.03.09
- Accepted : 2016.04.06
- Published : 2016.04.30
Objectives: The purpose of the study is to investigate the influence of self-control on stress management and oral health related quality of life in high school students. Methods: A self-reported questionnaire was completed by 422 high school students in Ulsan from December 1, 2014 to February 20, 2015. The study instrument consisted of stress and self-control. The stress instrument included 17 items modified by Kim and Lee. The self-control instrument was modified by Kim and had 20 items. Pearson's correlation analysis was conducted to analyze the relationship between stress, self-control and oral health related quality of life. Regression analysis was used to analyze the effect of the stress on oral heal related quality of life. Hierarchical regression analysis was done to analyze the control effect of self-control in the relationship between the stress and oral health related quality of life. Results: The higher stress level resulted in the lower oral heal related quality of life. The higher self-control maintained the higher oral health related quality of life. The higher long term pursuit of satisfaction led to higher oral health related quality of life. The immediate suppression of satisfaction had a positive influence on the higher oral health related quality of life. Conclusions: There were significant correlations in self-control on stress management and oral health related quality of life.
high school student;oral health related quality of life;self-control;stress
- Hong SH, Shin HS, Lee SJ. The Relationship among peer support, family strength and self-control in high school students. J Korean Home Economics Education Association 2013; 25(3) 79-91.
- Park SY. Influence of Stress of Male High School Students on Adaptation to School Life(Modifying Effect of Locus of control, Emotional Regulation Strategies and Self-Control[Master's thesis]. Chung-Buk: Univ. of Education, 2013.
- Song GH, Jo GP. Analysis of the Structural Relationship among Moral Self, Self-Control, Empathy, and Moral Behavior of University Students. Journal of Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction 2013; 13(3): 23-44.
- Lee MA. A study on spiritual formation of youth in postmodernism environment. Journal of Christian Education & Information Technology 2014; 42: 29-61.
- Shin HS, Khu BY. Stress coping and Its Relationship to Adjustment in Korean adolescents. Korea Journal of Youth Counseling 2001; 9(1): 189-225.
- Kim JY, Lee DE, Jung YK. The moderating effects of volunteer participation between stressors and depression in youths. Korean journal of youth studies 2013; 24(3) 99-126.
- Hong MH. The effects of occupational stress on oral health impact profile(OHIP) in local gobernment workers. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012; 12(3): 471-83. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.3.471
- Kim YA. The relationship of stress, social support and health behavior of adolescence[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Hanyang, 2000.
- Beehr TA. Perceived situational moderators of the relationship between subjective role ambiguity and role strain. J Appl Psychol 1976; 61: 35-40. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.61.1.35
- Keinan G, Ben-zur H, Zilka M, Carel RS. Anger in or out, which in healthier an attempt to reconcile inconsistent findings. Psychol Health 1992; 7: 83-98. https://doi.org/10.1080/08870449208520012
- Choi JS. The relationship between stress perception and oral health status. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014; 14(4): 555-61. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.04.055. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.04.555
- Hwang DH, Yun HG, Hwang TY. Relationship between employment stress and oral symptoms in health college students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014; 14(4): 519-26. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.04.519. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.04.519
- Yoon HJ, Kim SS. Factor associated with oral health-welated quality of life in adults. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015; 15(6): 1117-23. http://dx.doi.org/10/13065/jksdh.2015.15.06.1117. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.06.1117
- Kang GA. The experience of adolescents with cancer. Journal of nursing query 1997; 6(2): 67-89.
- Jung YU. A study of the Relation of Stress to Oral Health-Related of Life in Male High School Students of Chungnam. J Dent Hyg Sci 2014: 14(2): 158-66.
- Lee YK, Kwon HJ. Correlations among eating habits, behaviors for dental health and dental caries of juveniles. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013; 13(3): 419-24. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.3.419. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.3.419
- Kim JH, Lee DW. A study on strain and juvenile delinquency. K Institute of Criminology 1996; 3: 13-165.
- Kim HS. Model development of affecting factors on health behavior and juvenile delinquency of adolescents[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Seoul, 1998.
- Slade GD, Spencer AJ. Development and evaluation of the oral health impact profile. Community Dent Health 1994; 11(1): 3-11.
- Jung EJ, Yoon HJ. A study on the Relationship of self-control to stress-copying style among dental hygiene students. J Dent Hyg Sci 2013: 13(3): 238-45.
- Jung YJ. A study of the relation of stress to oral health-related of life in male school studentsof chungnam. J Dent Hyg Sci 2014: 14(2): 158-66.
- Kwon HJ, Yoon MS. Relationship of depression, stress, and self-esteem with oral health-related quality of life of middle-aged women. J Dent Hyg Sci 2015: 15(6): 825-35. http://dx.doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2015.15.6.825. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2015.15.6.825
- Nam HM, Ok SH. The effects of psychological family environment, self-control and friends. J Korean Home Economics Assoc 2001: 39(7): 37-58.
- Correlation between stress and oral health in some high school students vol.16, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.03.409
Supported by : 울산과학대학교