- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Association of self-perceived oral health and depression in the elderly: the sixth Korea national health and nutrition examination survey(the 6th KNHANES)
노인의 본인인지 구강건강상태와 우울감
Cho, Han-A;Heo, Yun-Min;Kim, Hyoung-Joo;Choi, Eun sil
- Received : 2016.01.22
- Accepted : 2016.04.08
- Published : 2016.04.30
Objectives: The aim of the study was to investigate the association of self-perceived oral health and depression in the Korean elderly. Methods: The subjects were 1,329 elderly in Korea from the sixth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (the 6th KNHANES). The dependent variable was depression that continued more than two weeks. Model I for the impacts of depression on self-reported oral health, Model II for the impacts of depression on chewing problem, Model III for the impacts of depression on speaking problem was evaluated. PASW Statistics 18.0 version was used for frequency analysis, chi-square test and logistic regression analysis. Results: Female elderly were much more prone to depression than male. Female had lower monthly compensation, less medicaid, chewing problem, speaking problem, and less education. For these reasons, they tended to have more depression than male (p<0.001). Self-perceived oral health impacts on depression included poor self-reported oral health(p<0.01), poor chewing problem(p<0.01) and poor speaking problem(p<0.05). On the other hand, male did not show a statistically significant association. Conclusions: The study showed the self-perceived oral health related quality of life had a significant influence on depression in the elderly. The continuing lifelong oral health care can prevent depression in the later life because oral health care improvement can enhance the self-perceived oral health status.
- Health Insurance Review & Assessment Service. Medical review & assessment guide. Gangwon: Health Insurance Review & Assessment Service; 2011: 100-2.
- National Assembly Budget Office. 2013 Hoegyeyeondo kyeolsan bunyabyeol bunseok I (2013 Fiscal Year Settlement of Accounts Sectoral Analysis I). Seoul:National Assembly Budget Office; 2014: 295.
- Lee ER, Kang JH, Jung JP. Factors influencing the depression of aged people. Jour. of KoCon.a 2013; 13(7): 290-300.
- Kim DB, Sohn ES. A meta-analysis of the variables related to depression in elderly. J Korean Gerontological Society 2005; 25(4): 167-87.
- Kang JS, Chung YS. The influences of physical health, cognitive symptom and nutritional status on the depression of the elderly dwelling in a big city. J Korean Acad Community Health Nurs 2008; 19(3): 378-87.
- Boffano P, Roccia F, Pittoni D, Di Dio D, Forni P, Gallesio C. Management of 112 hospitalized patients with spreading odontogenic infections: correlation with DMFT and oral health impact profile 14 indexes. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol 2012; 113(2): 207-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tripleo.2011.02.006
- Lee HS, Kim C. Effects of oral health impact profile (OHIP) on depression and quality of life among community-dwelling Korean elderly persons. J Korean Acad Community Health Nurs 2012; 23(3): 338-46. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2012.23.3.338
- Noh EM, Back JU. Subjective oral health status of the elderly and social impact efficacy. J Dent Hyg Sci 2010; 10(4): 233-9.
- Park HM. Effects of oral health behavior and status of elderly people in Korea on mental health and quality of life. KJOHSM 2014; 8(4): 175-85.
- Yom YH, Han JH. Factors associated with oral health related-quality of life in elderly persons: applying Andersen's Model. J Korean Acad Fundam Nurs 2014; 21(1): 18-28. https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2014.21.1.18
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. [Internet]. [cited 2016 Feb 16]. Available from; http://knhanes.cdc.go.kr/knhanes/imdex.do.
- Jung SS, Ha KS. Study of the influence of the depressive mood of the elderly: focused on the mediating effect of communication between families and self-esteem. JKAIS 2014; 15(9): 5525-33.
- Kim TW, Lee JM, Jung JW. A Study of elderly poverty and depression: focusing on the multidimensional concept of poverty. Health and Social Welfare Review 2015; 35(3): 71-102. https://doi.org/10.15709/hswr.2015.35.3.71
- Lee KS, Kim EK, Kim JW, Choi YH, Mechant AT, Song KB, et al. The relationship between metabolic conditions and prevalence of periodontal disease in rural Korean elderly. Arch Gerontol Geriatr 2014; 58(1): 125-9. http://dx.doi.org/1.01016/j.archger.2013.08.011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.archger.2013.08.011
- Allan CE, Valkanova V, Ebmeier KP. Depression in older people is underdiagnosed. Practitioner 2014; 258(1771): 19-22.
- La Gory M, Fitpatrick K. The effects of environmental context on elderly depression. J Aging Health 1992; 4(4): 459-79. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/089826439200400401. https://doi.org/10.1177/089826439200400401
- Park EA, Lee IS. Factors affecting the depression of the elderly women in poverty. J Agric Med Community Health 2009; 34(2): 256-66. https://doi.org/10.5393/JAMCH.2009.34.2.256
- Park JR, Kim HJ. The effect of need of oral health management to oral health impact profile among elderly over 65 years. J Dent Hyg Sci 2011; 11(6): 961-71.
- Lee HJ, Kang SK, Lee JY. The effects of socioeconomic position and health behavior on geriatric depressive symptom. J Korean Gerontological Society 2008; 28(4): 1129-45.
- Kim JG. An analysis on income-related health inequality of the aged applied to EQ-5D. J Korean Gerontological Society 2012; 32(3): 759-76.
- Shin DS, Jung YM. Oral health-related quality of life (OHQoL) and related factors among elderly women. J Korean Acad Fundam Nurs 2008; 15(3): 332-41.
- Locker D, Clarke M, Payne B. Self-perceived oral health status, psychological well-being, and life satisfaction in an older adult population. J Dent Res 2000; 79(4): 970-5. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345000790041301
- Kim HY, Patton LL. Intra-category determinants of global self-rating of oral health among the elderly. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2010; 38(1): 68-76. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.2009.00513.x. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.2009.00513.x
- Jang JH, Kim SH. The relationship between xerostomia and depression in elderly people. Korean J Health Educ Promot 2007; 24(3): 51-60.
- Chun J-Y, Jung E-S. Relationship between health factor, oral health factor and prevalence of depression in Korean elderly. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015; 15(6): 963-71. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.06.963
- Hybels CF, Bennett JM, Landerman LR, Liang J, Plassman BL, Wu B. Trajectories of depressive symptoms and oral health outcomes in a community sample of older adults. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 2016; 31(1): 83-91. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/gps.4292. https://doi.org/10.1002/gps.4292
- Yoon H-S. Influence of oral health status on oral health-related quality of life(OHIP-14) among elderly people in Busan. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013;13(5): 759-67. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.05.759
- Mesas AE, de Andrade SM, Cabrera MA. Factors associated with negative self-perception of oral health among elderly people in a Brazilian community. Gerodontology 2008; 25(1): 49-56. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-2358.2007.00196.x. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-2358.2007.00196.x
- Weyant RJ, Pandav RS, Plowman JL, Ganguli M. Medical and cognitive correlates of denture wearing in older community-dwelling adults. J Am Geriatr Soc 2004; 52(4): 596-600. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2004.52168.x
Grant : BK21플러스
Supported by : 고려대학교