- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Influence of denture wearing on a mini-mental state examination(MMSE-K) in the elderly
노인들의 의치 사용이 MMSE-K 점수에 미치는 영향
Cho, Min Jeong;Park, Dong-Ok;Song, Keun-Bae
- Received : 2015.12.30
- Accepted : 2016.04.12
- Published : 2016.04.30
Objectives: The purpose of the study was to investigate the association between denture wearing and dementia using a Mini-Mental State Examination (MMSE-K) in the community dwelling elderly. Methods: The study subjects were 184 community dwelling elderly using Korean version of mini-mental state examination(MMSE-K). The variables included the general characteristics of the subjects, denture earing, number of mastication tooth, subjective mastication ability, and MMSE(dementia). Denture wearing was divided into two groups of the natural dentition including the fixed prosthesis and removable denture including the complete and/or partial denture. The data were analyzed by
dementia;denture;elderly;subjective mastication ability
- Syrjala AM, Ylostalo P, Ruoppi P, Komulainen K, Hartikainen S, Sulkava R et al. Dementia and oral health among subjects aged 75 years or older. Gorodontology 2012; 29(1): 36-42. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-2358.2010.00396.x
- Listl S. Oral health conditions and cognitive functioning in middle and later adulthood. BMC Oral health 2014; 14: 70-6.http://doi: 10.1186/1472-6831-14-70. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6831-14-70
- Beerens HC, Zwakhalen SM, Verbeek H, Ruwaard D, Hamers JP. Factors associated with quality of life of people with dementia in long-term care facilities: A systematic review. Int J Nurs Stud 2015; 50(9): 1259-70.
- Adam H, Preston AJ. The oral health of individuals with dementia in nursing homes. Gorodontology 2006; 23(2): 99-105. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-2358.2006.00118.x
- Miegel K, Wachtel T. Improving the oral health of older people in long-term residential care: a review of the literature. Int J Older People Nurs 2009; 4(2): 97-113. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1748-3743.2008.00150.x
- Richmond S, Chestnutt I, Shennan J, Brown B. The relationship of medical and dental factors to perceived general and dental health. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2007; 35(2): 89-97. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.2007.00296.x
- Locker D, Matear D, Stephens M. Jokovic A. Oral health-related quality of life of a population of medically compromised elderly people. Community Dent Health 2002; 19(2): 90-7.
- Kaiser MJ, Bauer JM, Uter W, Donini LM, Stange I, Volkert D, et al. Prospective validation of the modified mini nutritional assessment short-forms in the community, nursing home, and rehabilitation setting. J Am Geriatr Soc 2011; 59(11): 2124-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2011.03659.x
- Kimura Y, Ogawa H, Yoshihara A, Yamaga T, Takiguchi T, Wada T, et al. Evaluation of chewing ability and its relationship with activities of daily living, depression, cognitive status and food intake in the community-dwelling elderly. Geriatr Gerontol Int 2013; 13(3): 718-25. https://doi.org/10.1111/ggi.12006
- Gilbert GH, Foerster U, Duncan RP. Satisfaction with chewing ability in a diverse sample of dentate adults. J Oral Rehabil 1998; 25(1): 15-27. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2842.1998.00207.x
- Banu RF, Veeravalli PT, Kumar VA. Comparative evaluation of changes in brain activity and cognitive function of edentulous patients, with dentures and two-implant supported mandibular overdenture-pilot study. Clin Implant Dent Relat Res 2015; 30: 1-8. http://dx.doi.org:10.1111/cid.12336.
- Kim ES, Hong MH. Perceived oral health awareness in dementia and dementia-suspected depending on KMME. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015; 15(2): 217-23. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.02.217. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.02.217
- Cho MJ. The relationship between dementia and the number of remaining tooth of the elderly women on senior center. J of Digital Convergence 2016; 14(2); 279-86.
- Han C, J SA, Jo I, Kim E, Park MH, Kang Y. An adaptation of the Korean mini-mental state examination (K-MMSE) in elderly Koreans: demographic influence and populationbased norms (the AGE study). Arch Gerontol Geriatr 2008; 47(3): 302-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.archger.2007.08.012
- Luo JF, Wu B, Zhao QH, Guo QH, Meng HJ, Yu LR, et al. Association between tooth loss and cognitive function among 3,063 chinese older adults: A Community-based study. PLoS One 2015; 10(3): 42-52. http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0120986.
- Yamamoto T, Kondo K, Hirai H, Nakade M, Aida J, Hirata Y. Association between self-reported dental health status and onset of dementia: A 4-year prospective cohort study of older Japanese adults from the aichi gerontological evaluation study(AGES) project. Psychosom Med 2012; 74(3): 241-48. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/PSY.0b013e318246dffb. https://doi.org/10.1097/PSY.0b013e318246dffb
- Takata Y, Ansai T, Soh I, Awano S, Nakamichi I, Akifusa S, et al. Cognitive function and 10 years mortality in an 85 year-old community-dwelling population. Clin Interv Aging 2014; 9: 1691-99. http://dx.doi.org/10.2147/CIA.S64107.
- Avlund K, Holm-pedersen P, Morse DE, Viitanen M, Winblad B. Tooth loss and caries prevalence in very old sedish people: the relationship to cognitive function and functional ability. Gerodontology 2004; 21(1): 17-26. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1741-2358.2003.00003.x
- Wu B, Plassman BL, Crout RJ, Liang J. Cognitive function and oral health among community-dwelling older adults. J Gerontol Biol Sci Med Sci 2008; 63(5): 465-500.
- Henriksen BM, Engedal K, Axéll T. Cognitive impairment is associated with poor oral health in individuals in long-term care. Oral Helath Prev Dent 2005; 3(4): 203-7.
- Okamoto N, Morikawa M, Okamoto K, Habu N, Hazaki K, Harano A, et al. Tooth loss is associated with mild memory impairment in the elderly: the Fujiwara-kyo study. Brain Res 2010; 1349: 68-75. http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1744-9081-6-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.brainres.2010.06.054
- Marcus SE, Drury TF, Brown LJ Zion GR. Tooth retention and tooth loss in the permanent dentition of adults: United States, 1988-91. J Dent Res 1996; 75: 684-95. https://doi.org/10.1177/002203459607502S08
- Caplan DJ, Weintraub JA. The oral health burden in the United States: a summary of recent epidemiologic studies. J Dent Ed 1993; 57(12): 853-62.
- Choi MS, Lee JH, Yun HK. The relationship between dental prosthesis status, prosthesis need and mastication function in the Korean elderly population: The 5th Korea national health and nutrition examination survey(2010-2012). J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014; 14(3): 293-302. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jkdsh.2014.14.03.293. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.03.293
- Sheiham A, Steele JG, Marcenes W, Finch S, Walls AW. The impact of oral health on stated ability to eat certain food: findings from the national diet and nutrition survey of older people in great britain. Grodontology 1999; 16(1): 11-20. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-2358.1999.00011.x
- Hutton B, Feine J, Morais J. Is there an association between edentulism and nutritional state? J Can Dent Assoc 2002; 68(3): 182-7.
- Ritchie CS, Joshipura K, Hung HC, Douglass CW. Nutrition and a mediator in the relation between oral and system disease: association between specific measures of adult oral health and nutrition outcomes. Crit Rev Oral Bio Med 2002; 13(3): 291-300. https://doi.org/10.1177/154411130201300306
- Nakamura T, Baba K, Minami I, Okano N, Ohyama T. Electromyographic evaluation of masticatoty function in denture wearers. J Med Dent Sci 2004; 51(3): 173-7.
- Grover M, Vaidyanathan AK, Veeravalli PT. OHRQoL, masticatory performance and crestal bone loss with single implant, magnet-retained mandibular overdentures with conventional and shortened dental arch. Clin Oral Implants Res 2014; 25(5): 580-6. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/clr.12111.
- Relationship between the number of functional teeth and Geriatric Oral Health Assessment Index(GOHAI) in elderly vol.16, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.03.455