- Volume 19 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Soil Improvements on Growth and Tissue Nutrient Concentrations of Fraxinus rhynchophylla and Pinus densiflora Seedlings in a Nursery
토양개량제 처리가 물푸레나무와 소나무 묘목의 생장과 양분농도에 미치는 영향
Park, Byung Bae;Byun, Jae Kyung;Cho, Min Seok;Han, Si Ho;Jung, Mun Ho;Kim, Se Bin;Bae, Kikang
- Received : 2015.12.29
- Accepted : 2016.01.28
- Published : 2016.04.29
The production of high quality seedlings is a very important phase in silvicultural systems for successful reforestation or restoration. The purpose of this study was to measure both growth performances and nutrient responses of Fraxinus rhynchophylla and Pinus densiflora seedlings, which are commercially planted in Korea, according to soil improvement treatments. We applied 8 types of soil improvements: control with no treatment, compost B and compost Y as organic materials, vermiculite, perlite, two level of zeolite, and mix of vermiculite, perlite, and zeolite as inorganic materials in a permanent national nursery. Only compost B treatment significantly increased soil pH, organic matter, total nitrogen, available phosphorus, exchangeable potassium and calcium at the 0-10 cm soil depth. The growth of F. rhynchophylla and P. densiflora was the highest at the compost B treatment and the lowest at the vermiculate treatment. Compost B treatment allocated more carbon to aboveground than belowground by 39%, especially to foliage. On the vector diagnosis, there was 'shortage' on compost B treatment because of all increases of N contents, N concentrations, and growth and 'over accumulation' on vermiculite treatment because of more N uptake compared with dry weight increase. This study suggested optimal use of soil improvements is very important to improve soil quality in a permanently used nursery.
Compost;Perlite;Seedling quality;Vector diagnosis;Vermiculite
- An JY․Park BB․Byun JK․Cho MS․Kim YS․ Han SH and Kim SB. 2015. The short-term effects of soil brought and subsoil inversion on growth and tissue nutrient concentrations of Fraxinus rhynchophylla, Pinus densiflora, and Pinus koraiensis seedlings in a nursery. Journal of Korean Forest Society. 104(1):43-49. https://doi.org/10.14578/jkfs.2015.104.1.43
- Andersen, L. and C. W. Hansen. 2000. Leaching of nitrogen from container plants grown under controlled fertigation regimes. Journal of Environmental Horticulture. 18(1): 8-12.
- Bayala, J.․M. Dianda.․J. Wilson.․S. Ouedraogo. and K. Sanon. 2009. Predicting field performance of five irrigated tree species using seedling quality assessment in Burkina Faso, West Africa. New Forests. 38(3): 309-322. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11056-009-9149-4
- Broschat T. K. 1995. Nitrate, phosphate, and potassium leaching from container-grown plants fertilized by several methods. Hort-Science. 30(1): 74-77.
- Byun JK․Kim YS․Yi MJ․Son YW․Kim CS․ Jeong JH․Lee CH and Jeong YH. 2007. Growth response of Pinus densiflora, Larix Leptolepis, Betula platyphylla var. japonica and Quercus acutissima seedlings at various levels of fertilizations. Journal of Korean Forest Society. 96(3): 693-698.
- Carlson, W. C. 1981. Effects of controlled-release fertilizers on the shoot and root development of outplanted western hemlock (Tsuga heterophylla Raf. Sarg.) seedlings. Canadian Journal of Forest Research. 11(4): 752-757. https://doi.org/10.1139/x81-107
- Dumroese, R. K.․D. S. Page-Dumroese.․K. F. Salifu. and D. F. Jacobs. 2005. Exponential fertilization of Pinus monticola seedlings: nutrient uptake efficiency, leaching fractions, and early outplanting performance. Canadian Journal of Forest Research. 35(12): 2961-2967. https://doi.org/10.1139/x05-226
- Giardina, C. P.․M. G. Ryan․D. Dinkley and J. H. Fownes. 2003. Primary production and carbon allocation in relation to nutrient supply in a tropical experimental forest. Global Change Biology. 9(10): 1438-1450. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2486.2003.00558.x
- Grossnickle, S. C. and Y. A. El-Kassaby. 2016. Bareroot versus container stocktypes: a performance comparison. New Forests 47:1-51. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11056-015-9476-6
- Haase, D. L. and R. Rose. 1995. Vector analysis and its use for interpreting plant nutrient shifts in response to silvicultural treatments. Forest Science. 41(1): 54-66.
- Imo, M. and V. R. Timmer. 1999. Vector competition analysis of black spruce seedling responses to nutrient loading and vegetation control. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 29(4): 474-486. https://doi.org/10.1139/x99-020
- Ingestad, T. and G. I. Agren. 1992. Theories and methods on plant nutrition and growth. Phsiologia Plantarum. 84(1): 177-184. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1399-3054.1992.tb08781.x
- Jeong JH․Kim CS․Goo KS․Lee CH․Won HG and Byun JG. 2003. Physico-chemical properties of Korean forest soils by parent rocks. Journal of Korean Forest Society. 92(3): 254-262.
- Jeong JH․Koo KS․Lee CH and Kim CS. 2002. Physico-chemical properties of Korean forest soils by regions. Journal of Korean Forest Society. 91(6): 694-700.
- Jun HS․Park WC and Jung JS. 2002. Effects of soil addition and subsoil plowing on the change of soil chemical properties and the reduction of root-knot nematode in continuous cropping field of oriental melon(Cucumis melo L.). Korean Journal of Environmental Agriculture. 21(1): 1-6. https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2002.21.1.001
- Kang JY․Lee HH and Kim KH. 2004. Physical and chemical properties of inorganic horticultural substrates used in Korea. Acta Horticulturae. 644: 237-241.
- Korea Forest Research Institute. 2012. Handbook of Forest Science and Technology. pp. 1664.
- Korea Forest Service. 2015. Annual Action Plan of Forest Resources in 2015. pp. 241.
- Korea Meteorological Administration. 2007. Climatological Normals of Korea. pp. 30.
- Kwon KW․Park GS and Lee DG. 1998. Effects of NPK fertilization on growth of Betula platyphylla var. japonica, Fraxinus rhynchophylla, Pinus koraiensis, and Acer mono Seedlings, and Chemical Properties of Soil. Korean Journal of Agriculture Science. 25(2):160-167.
- Marschner, H. 2002. Mineral nutrition of higher plants. 2nd edition. San Diego: Academic Press. pp. 889.
- McConnaughay, K. D. M. and J. S. Coleman. 1999. Biomass allocation in plants: Ontogeny or Optimality? A test along three resource gradients. Ecology. 80(8): 2581-2593. https://doi.org/10.1890/0012-9658(1999)080[2581:BAIPOO]2.0.CO;2
- Park BB․Byun JK․Kim WS and Sung JH. 2010. Growth and tissue nutrient responses of Fraxinus rhynchophylla, Fraxinus mandshurica, Pinus koraiensis, and Abies holophylla seedlings fertilized with nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium at a nursery culture. Journal of Korean Forest Society. 99(1): 85-95.
- Quoreshi, M. and V. R. Timmer. 2000. Early outplanting performance of nutrient-loaded containerized black spruce seedlings inoculated with Laccaria bicolor: A bioassay study. Canadian Journal of Forest Research. 30(5): 744-752. https://doi.org/10.1139/x00-003
- Shin JA․Son Y․Hong SG and Kim YK. 1999. Effect of N and P fertilization on nutrient use efficiency of Pinus densiflora, Larix leptolepis, and Betula platyphylla var. japonica seedlings. Korean Journal of Environmental Agriculture. 18(4): 304-309.
- Son YH․Kim ZS․Hwang JH and Park JS. 1998. Fertilization effects on growth, foliar nutrients and extract concentrations in ginkgo seedlings. Journal of Korean Forest Society. 87(1): 98-105.
- Timmer, V. R. 1996. Exponential nutrient loading: a new fertilization technique to improve seedling performance on competitive sites. New Forests. 13(1-3): 275-295.
- Timmer, V. R. and E. L. Stone. 1978. Comparative foliar analysis of young balsam fir fertilized with nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, and lime. Soil Science Society of America Journal. 42(1): 125-130. https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj1978.03615995004200010027x
- Warkentin, B. 1984. Physical properties of forest-nursery soils: Relation to seedling growth.(In Duryea, M. L. and T. D. Landis eds., "Forest Nursery Manual: Production of Bareroot Seedlings"). Hague: Springer Netherlands. pp. 53-61.
- Weil, R. R. and S. K. Mughogho. 2000. Sulfur nutrition of maize of four regions of Malawi. Agronomy Journal. 92(4): 649-656. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj2000.924649x
- Won HK․Lee YY․Jeong JH․Koo KS․Lee CH․Lee SW․Jeong YH․Kim CS and Kim HH. 2006. Fertilization effects on soil properties, understory vegetation structure and growth of Pinus densiflora seedlings planted after forest fires. Journal of Korean Forest Society. 95(3): 334-341.
Supported by : 산림청