- Volume 19 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Comparison of Planting Types on an Extensive Green Roof Based on Summer Surface Temperature
저관리 경량형 옥상녹화의 식재 유형별 여름철 표면온도 비교
Han, Yichae;Lee, Binara;Ahn, Geunyoung;Lee, Eun-Heui
- Received : 2015.12.31
- Accepted : 2016.03.29
- Published : 2016.04.29
Significant efforts are being devoted in mitigating the urban heat island effect, and extensive green roofs are an option for mitigation. The purpose of this study was to compare the surface temperature, vegetation types, and plant species on an extensive green roof. Test beds were created in May 2015, and the surface temperature was monitored from June to August. The test beds comprised polyculture and monoculture. Polyculture was divided into three types, and monoculture comprised eight plant species. An extensive green roof is effective in reducing temperature by forming a shade and preventing sunlight from falling on the surface of buildings, which mitigates the urban heat island effect. Consequently, the surface temperature of the green roof and that of concrete during summer reduced from
Thermal performance;Extensive rooftop;Vegetation type;Polyculture;Monoculture
- Cha JG․Jung EH․Ryu JW and Kim DW. 2007. Constructing a Green Network and Wind Corridor to Alleviate the Urban Heat-Island. Journal of the Korean association of geographic information studies. 10(1): 102-112.
- Dunnett N. and Kingsbury. N. 2008. Planting Green Roofs and Living Walls(2nd edition). Timber Press, Portland Oregon.
- Jang HK and Lee EH. 2011. Covering Types and Covering Ratio Changes of Planted Species on an Extensive Green Roof. Korean Journal of Environment and Ecology. 25(3): 404-411.
- Jeong MI․Han SW․Kim JS and Song JS. 2013. Selection of Native Herbal Plants Capable to Survive Year-Round in Roof Garden Adopting Extensive Green Roof System in the Central District of Korea. National Institute of Horticultural & Herbal Science. 21(4): 172-181.
- Johnston J. and Newton J. 1993. Building Green: A Guide to Using Plants on Roofs, Walls and Pavements The London Ecology Unit, London.
- Kim JH and Yoon YH. 2011. Economic Analysis and Energy Reduction by the Types of the Green Roof. Seoul Urban Research. 12(2): 125-140.
- Kim SC and Park BJ. 2013. Assessment of Temperature Reduction and Heat Budget of Extensive Modular Green Roof System. Korean Journal of Horticultural Science & Technology. 31(4): 503-511. https://doi.org/10.7235/hort.2013.13001
- Kim YS and Lee JS. 2005. Selection of Appropriateness Genus Sedum Low Management and Light Weight Rooftop Greening. Flower Research Journal. 13(1): 14-20.
- Lee DK․Yoon SW․Oh SH and Jang SW. 2005. The Effect of Temperature Reduction as Influenced by Rooftop Greening. Journal of Korean Environmental Restoration and Technology. 8(6): 34-44.
- Lee EH․Cho EJ․Park MY․Kim DW and Jang SW. 2007. Selecting Plants for the Extensive Rooftop Greening Based on Herbal Plants. 10(2): 84-96.
- Lee EJ and Kim JH. 2012. Adoption of the Green Roof vs Non Green Roof - Application in DaeJeon Area -. Journal of the Korean Solar Energy Society. 32(6): 134-140. https://doi.org/10.7836/kses.2012.32.6.134
- Ministry of Environment. 2008. Technology Development for Restoration Natural Ecosystem of Urban Artificial Ground Final Report.
- Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs. 2009. Design Basis of Building greening and Development of Recommended Design Book.
- Nagase A and Dunnett N. 2010. Drought Tolerance in Different Vegetation Types for Extensive Green Roofs: Effects of Watering and Diversity. Landscape and Urban Planning. 97(4): 318-327. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.landurbplan.2010.07.005
- Noh HS․Jeong BC․Lee KK and Lee JS. 2004. Studies of the Proper Shading Levels for the Native Ground Cover Plants. Flower Research Journal. 12(4): 330-336.
- Oh SH. 2007. The Analysis of Temperature Reduction Effect of an Extensive Greenroof. Master's Thesis, Seoul National University.
- Park EJ․Kang YK, Nam MA. 2010. Green Roof Strategy for Mitigating the Urban Heat Island Effect. Policy Research. 2010-25. Gyeonggi Research Institute.
- Rhie YH․Yun NY․Lee SY and Kim KS. 2013. Effect of Temperature on Growth and Development of Variegated Solomon's Seal for Year-round Production. Flower Research Journal. 21(1): 23-26. https://doi.org/10.11623/frj.2013.21.1.8
- S. Naeem․L. J. Thompson․S. P. Lawler․J. H. Lawton and R. M. Woodfin. 1994. Declining Biodiversity can Alter the Performance of Ecosystems. Nature. 368: 734-737. https://doi.org/10.1038/368734a0
- Youn HJ․Jang SW and Lee EH. 2013. Temperature Monitoring of Vegetation Models for the Extensive Green Roof. JOURNAL OF The Korea Institute of Ecological Architecture and Environment. 13(5): 89-96 https://doi.org/10.12813/kieae.2013.13.5.089
- Zhang H.․Lu S.․Wu J.․Jiang Y.․ Lu Y. and Zhao H. 2014. Effect of substrate depth on 18 non-succulent herbaceous perennials for extensive green roofs in a region with a dry spring. Ecological Enginerring. (71): 490-500.
- EP Del Barrio. 1998. Analysis of the green roofs cooling potential in buildings. Energy and Buildings. 27(2): 179-193. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-7788(97)00029-7
Supported by : 환경부