- Volume 30 Issue 2
In this paper, we propose a vertical axis water turbine with dual blades. A parametric study was conducted using numerical analyses. First, a two-dimensional finite-volume analysis with a commercial code was used to find the pitch angle of the main blade under different tip speed ratio conditions. Second, we developed a potential-based panel method to find the best configuration of the inner blades. Experimental tests were conducted at the circulating water channel of Chungnam National University. Various configurations of the dual blades were considered, and their performances were comparatively investigated. The results showed that the turbine with movable dual blades produces a constant torque and tip speed ratio at various flow rates.
Renewable energy;Water turbine;Vertical axis turbine;Dual blades;Numerical analysis
- Alam, M.J., Iqubal, M.T., 2009. Design and Development of Hybrid Vertical Axis Turbine. Electrical and Computer Engineering, 2009. CCECE'09. Canadian Conference on. IEEE. 1178-1183.
- Han, J.S., Hyun, B.S., Choi, D.H., Mo, J.O., Kim, M.C., Lee, S.H., 2010. Study on Design of Darrieus-type Tidal Stream Trubine Using Parametric Study. Journal of the Korean Society for Marine Environmental Engineering. 3(4), 241-248.
- Hantoro, R., Utama, I.K.A.P., Sulisetyono, E.A., 2011. An Experimental Investigation of Passive Variable-Pitch Vertical-Axis Ocean Current Turbine. Journal of Engineering and Technological Sciences, 43(1), 27-40.
- Sakir Bal., 1997. A Potential Based Panel Method for 2-D Hydrofoils. Ocean Engineering, 26, 343-361.
- Kim, J.W., Kim, S.W., Han, J.H., Lee, D.H., 2010. Aerodynamics Analysis for Camber Design of Vertical Wind Turbine Blade. Korean Fluid Machinery Association, 2010-098, 474-476.
- Lee, Y.T., Lim, H.C., 2013. Numerical Study on the Optimized Blade Shape of Darrieus Type Vertical-axis Wind Turbine. Proceedings of 16th Wind Engineering Institute of Korea Symposium, 183-188.
- Li, Y., Sander, M., Calisal, S.M., 2010. Modeling of Twin-turbine Systems with Vertical Axis Tidal Current Turbine : Part1-Power Output. Ocean Engineering, 37, 627-637. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2010.01.006