- Volume 32 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Comparative Analysis of Benthic Macroinvertebrate Communities Before and After the Restoration Project in the Kyoungan Stream
경안천의 하천복원 사업 전‧후 저서성 대형무척추동물 군집구조 비교 분석
Kim, PilJae;Kim, JinYoung;Son, SeHwan;Won, DooHee;Kong, Dongsoo
- Received : 2015.08.16
- Accepted : 2015.10.21
- Published : 2016.01.30
This study aims to analyze the changes in the benthic macroinvertebrate community before and after a restoration project in a eutrophic stream. Species diversity and species richness increased at the points where the channel changed from standing water to running water. However, species diversity and richness decreased at the points where only riparian restoration was implemented, and the concentration of suspended solids increased, while biochemical oxygen demand and total phosphorus decreased and the concentration of dissolved oxygen increased. In such reaches, functional feeding groups went from collector-filterers to collector-gatherers, and habitat orientation groups changed from clingers to burrowers.
Benthic macroinvertebrate;Kyoungan Stream;Restoration;Species diversity
- Allan, J. D. (1995). Stream Ecology: Structure and Function of Running Waters, Chapman & Hall, Landon.
- Barbour, M. T., Gerritsen, J., Snyder, B. D., and Stribling, J. B. (1999). Rapid Bioassessment Protocols for Use in Streams Brates and Fish, 2nd Ed, EPA 841-B-99-002, US EPA Office of Water, Washington, D. C., USA.
- Brown, A. V. and Brussock, P. P. (1991). Comparisons of Benthic Invertebrates between Riffles and Pools, Hydrobiologia, 220, pp. 99-108. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00006542
- Doeg, T. J. and Koehn, J. D. (1994). Effects of Draining and Desilting a Small Weir on Downstream Fish and Macroinvertebrates, Regulated Rivers: Research and Management, 9, pp. 263-277. https://doi.org/10.1002/rrr.3450090407
- Doyle, M. W., Stanley, E. H., and Harbor, J. M. (2002). Geomorphic Analogies for Assessing Probable Channel Response to Dam Removal, Journal of the American Water Resources Association, 38(6), pp. 1567-1579. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-1688.2002.tb04365.x
- Gyeonggi-do Institute of Health and Environment (GIHE). (2008). The Survey of Ecology in Kyoungan stream, Gyeonggido Institute of Health and Environment, pp. 262. [Korean Literature]
- Jaccard, P. (1908). Nouvelles Recherches sur la Distribution Florale, Bulletin de la Société vaudoise des sciences naturellest, 44, pp. 223.
- Han River Environment Research Center (HERC). (2008). Kyoungan Stream Mid-Watershed Scheme of the Water Environment Management, Han River Environment Research Center. [Korean Literature]
- Horne, A. J. and Goldman, C. R. (1994). Limnology, 2nd ed, McGraw-Hill, pp. 375-378.
- Hynes, H. B. N. (1970). The Ecology of Running Waters, Liverpool University Press, Liverpool, U. K.
- Kim, H. J., Lee, S. J., and An, K. G. (2010) Comparative Analysis of Ecological Health Conditions Before and After Ecological Restoration in Changwon Stream and Nam Stream, Korean Journal of Limnology, 43(2), pp. 307-318. [Korean Literature]
- Kil, H. K., Kim, D. G., Joung, S. W., Jin, Y. H., Hwang, J. M., Bae, K. S., and Bae, Y. J. (2010). Impacts of Impoundments by Low-Head and Large Dams on Benthic Macroinvetebreate Communities in Korean Stream and Rivers, Korean Journal of Limnology, 43(2), pp. 190-198. [Korean Literature]
- Kong, D. S., Son, S. H., Kim, J. Y., Won, D. H., Kim, M. C., Park, J. H., Chon, T. S., Lee, J. E., Park, J. H., Kwak, I. S., Kim, J. S., and Ham, S. A. (2012). Developement and Application of Korean Benthic Macroinvertebrates Index for Biological Assessment on Stream Environment, Proceedings of the 2012 Spring Conference and Water Environmental Forum of Yeongsan River, Korean Society of Limnology, pp. 33-36. [Korean Literature]
- Magilligan, F. J. and Nislow, K. H. (2001). Long-Term Changes in Regional Hydrologic Regime Following Impoundment in a Humid-Climate Watershed, Journal of the American Water Resources Association, 37(6), pp. 1551-1569. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-1688.2001.tb03659.x
- Margalef, R. (1958). Information Theory in Ecology, General Systems, 3, pp. 36-71.
- Ministry Of Environment (MOE). (2013). Water Environment Information System (WEIS), http://water.nier.go.kr/waterMeasurement/selectWater.do (accessed from 2012 to 2013).
- McNaughton, S. J. (1967). Relationship among Functional Properties of California Grassland, Nature, 216, pp. 168-169. https://doi.org/10.1038/216168b0
- Merritt, R. W. and Cummins, K. W. (2008). An Introduction to the Aquatic Insects of North America, 4th ed, Kendall/ Hunt Publishing Company, Dubuque, Iowa.
- Ministry Of Environment (MOE). (2007). Water Environment Information System (WEIS), http://water.nier.go.kr/waterMeasurement/selectWater.do (accessed from 2007 to 2008).
- Pennak, R. W. (1989). Fresh-water invertebrates of the Unite States, 3rd ed, John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Pielou, E. C. (1975). Ecological Diversity, John Wiley & Sons, New York, pp. 165.
- Plafkin, J. L., Barbour, M. T., Porter, K. D., Gross, S. K., and Hughes, R. M. (1989). Rapid Bioassessment Protocols for Use in Streams and Rivers: Benthic Macroinvertebrates and Fish, United States Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, D.C., USA.
- Rabeni, C. F., Doisy, K. E., and Zweig, L. D. (2005). Stream Invertebrate Community Functional Responses to Deposited Sediment, Aquatic Sciences, 67, pp. 395-402. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00027-005-0793-2
- Ro, T. H. and Chun, D. J. (2004). Funtional Feeding Group Categorization of Korean Immature Aquatic Insects and Community Stability Analysis, Korean Journal of Limnology, 37(2), pp. 137-148. [Korean Literature]
- Shannon, C. E. and Weaver, W. (1949). The Mathematical Theory of Communication, University of Illinois Press, Urbana.
- Song, M. Y. (2010). Survey and Evaluation of Stream Restoration Projects in Gyeonggi Province, Gyeonggi Research Institute, pp. 206. [Korean Literature]
- Williams, D. D. and Feltmate, B. W. (1992). Aquatic Insects, Division of Life Siences, Scarborough Campus, University of Toronto, CAB International, Canada.
- Song, Y. J., Ju, Y. D., Park, B. S., Lee, H. J., Chae, D. Y., Kim, J. M., and Bae, Y. S. (2014). Study on Community Structure of Benthic Macro-Invertebrates Inhabiting in an Urban Restoration Stream, Gongchon-cheon, in Incheon City, Journal of Wetlands Research, 16(4), pp. 371-378. [Korean Literature] https://doi.org/10.17663/JWR.2014.16.4.371
- Tiemann, J. S., Gillette, D. P., Wildhaber, M. L., and Edds, D. R. (2004). Effects of Lowhead Dams on Riffle-Dwelling Fishes and Macroinvertebrates in a Midwestern River, Transaction of the American Fisheries Society, 133, pp. 705-717. https://doi.org/10.1577/T03-058.1
- Ward, J. V. (1992). Aquatic Insect Ecology, John Wiley & Sons, New York.