- Volume 32 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effect of DEM Resolution in USLE LS Factor
USLE LS 인자 구축시 DEM 해상도가 미치는 영향
Koo, Ja-Young;Yoon, Dae-Soon;Lee, Dong Jun;Han, Jeong Ho;Jung, Younghun;Yang, Jae E;Lim, Kyoung Jae
- Received : 2015.12.08
- Accepted : 2015.12.31
- Published : 2016.01.30
Digital Elevation Models (DEMs) have been used to represent the effects of topography on soil erosion. A DEM of 30 m resolution is frequently used in hydrology and soil erosion studies because the National Water Management Information System (WAMIS) provides a 30 m resolution DEM at national scale on its web site. However, the Ministry of Environment recommends the use of a DEM with 10 m resolution for evaluation of soil erosion due to the fact that soil erosion estimation is to some degree affected by the spatial resolution of DEM. In this regard, a DEM with 5 m resolution was resampled for 10 × 10 m, 20 × 20 m, 30 × 30 m, 50 × 50 m, 70 × 70 m, and 100 × 100 m resolutions, respectively. USLE LS factors and soil erosion values were evaluated using these datasets. Use of a DEM with at least 30 m resolution provided reasonable LS factors and soil erosion values at a watershed.
DEM;LS factor;Resolution;Topographic factor;Universal Soil Loss Equation (USLE)
- Chaplot, V. (2005). Impact of DEM Mesh Size and Soil Map Scale on SWAT Runoff, Sediment, and NO3-N Loads Predictions, Journal of Hydrology, 312(1), pp. 207-222. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2005.02.017
- Choi, Y. B., Lim, J. E., Jun, Y. S., Lee, S. S., and Ok, Y. S. (2012). Best Management Practices for Sloping Upland Erosion Control : Feasibility of PAM and Biopolymer Application, Journal of Agricultural, Life and Environmental Sciences, 24(2), pp. 30-39. [Korean Literature]
- Hahm, C. H. and Kim, B. S. (2007). Integration of GIS with USLE in Assessmentof Soil Erosion due to Typoon Rusa, The Korean Society for GeoSpatial Information System, 15(3), pp. 77-85. [Korean Literature]
- Lee, D. H. and Jung, S. L. (2014). The Estimation of Soil Loss in the Buffer Zone of Guem River using a Simulation of Future Climate Change, Journal of Soil and Groundwater Environment, 19(6), pp. 30-36. [Korean Literature] https://doi.org/10.7857/JSGE.2014.19.6.030
- Jang, C. H., Kum, D. H., Woo, W. H., Choi, J. W., Moon, J. P., Kim, K. S., and Lim, K. J. (2011). Development and Application of SATEEC Daily R Module using Daily Rainfall, Proceedings of the 2011 Fall Co-Conference of the Korean Society on Water Environment and Korean Society of Water and Wastewater, Korean Society on Water Environment and Korean Society of Water and Wastewater, pp. 607-608. [Korean Literature]
- Jang, C. H., Shin, Y. C., Kum, D. H., Kim, R. G., Yang, J. E., Kim, S. C., Hwang, S. I., Lim, K. J., Yoon, J. K., Park, Y. S., and Jung, Y. H. (2015). Assessment of Soil Loss in South Korea based on Land-cover Type, Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment, pp. 1-15.
- Kang, S. Y. and Kim, K. H. (2011). Effects of DEM Resolutions in Site Classification, Journal of Korean Society for GeoSpatial Information System, 19(1), pp. 21-28. [Korean Literature]
- Lee, Y. K., Go, J. Y., Jung, S. W., and Park, S. S. (2010). Computation of Mean Soil Loss in the Catchment of the Mankyung River by USLE, Proceedings of the 2010 Korea Water Resources Association Conference, Korea Water Resources Association, pp. 1721-1728. [Korean Literature]
- Lim, K. J., Heo, S. G., Park, Y. S., Kim, J. G., Park, J. H., Choi, D. H., and Gang, H. W. (2007). Development of the System SATEEC, http://www.EnvSys.co.kr/-sateec
- Lim, K. J., Sagong, M., Engel, B. A., Tang, Z., Choi, J., and Kim, K. S. (2005). GIS-based Sediment Assessment Tool, Catena, 64(1), pp. 61-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.catena.2005.06.013
- Lin, S., Jing, C., Chaplot, V., Yu, X., Zhang, Z., Moore, N., and Wu, J. (2010). Effect of DEM Resolution on SWAT Outputs of Runoff, Sediment and Nutrients, Hydrology and Earth System Sciences Discussions, 7(4), pp. 4411-4435. https://doi.org/10.5194/hessd-7-4411-2010
- Moore, I. D. and Burch, G. J. (1986b). Physical Basis of the Length-Slope Factor in the Universal Soil Loss Equation, Soil Science Society of America Journal, 50, pp. 1924-1298.
- Ministry of Environment (MOE). (2012). Pyo-to-ui chim0sig hyeon-hwang jo-sa-e gwan-han go-si. [The Notice about the Erosion Status Survey and Measures such as Topsoil], Ministry of Environment.
- Ministry of Environment, Korean Geo-Environmental Society (KGES). (2001). A Study on the Conservation of Surface Soil and Erosion Control, Korean Geo-Environmental Society, pp. 1-15. [Korean Literature]
- Moore, I. D. and Burch, G. J. (1986a). Modeling Erosion and Deposition: Topographic Effects, Transactions of the American Society of Agricultural Engineers, 29(6), pp. 1624-1640. https://doi.org/10.13031/2013.30363
- National Institute of Environmental Research (NIER). (2011). A Study on the Impact of Non-Point Source Pollution upon Algal Blooming Area in the Daecheong Reservoir, NIER-RP2011-1428, National Institute of Environmental Research, pp. 2-12. [Korean Literature]
- National Institute of Environmental Research (NIER). (2012). Pyo-to chim-sig jo-sa mich bo-jeon jong-hab-dae-chaeg malyeon yeon-gu. [Topsoil Erosion Research and Conservation Comprehensive Measures Making Research], National Institute of Environmental Research, pp. 87-151.
- Park, C. S., Lee, S. K., and Suh, Y. C. (2007). Development of an Automatic Generation Methodology for Digital Elevation Models using a Two-Dimensional Digital Map, Journal of the Korean Association of Geographic Information Studies, 10(3), pp. 113-122. [Korean Literature]
- Parveen, R. and Kumar, U. (2012). Integrated Approach of Universal Soil Loss Equation (USLE) and Geographical Information System (GIS) for Soil Loss Risk Assessment in Upper South Koel Basin, Journal of Geographic Information System, 4(6), Jharkhand, pp. 588-596. https://doi.org/10.4236/jgis.2012.46061
- Wischmeier, W. H. and Smith, D. D. (1960). A Universal Soilloss Equation to Guide Conservation Farm Planning, Transactions of 7th International Congress of Soil Science, 1, pp. 418-425.
- Wischmeier, W. H. and Smith, D. D. (1978). Predicting Rainfall Erosion Losses: a Guide to Conservation Planning, United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Handbook No. 537, USDA, Washington, DC, pp. 1-58.
- An integrated method for calculating DEM-based RUSLE LS pp.1865-0481, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12145-018-0349-3