- Volume 49 Issue 2
In this study, electrophoretic paint (E-paint) was deposited on the knife-abraded surface of AZ31 magnesium alloy (AZ31), and its adhesion and corrosion resistance were examined by tape peel-test and salt spray test, respectively. E-paint started to deposit on AZ31 Mg alloy after an inductance time and pores were found in the E-paint layer which is ascribed to hydrogen bubbles generated on the surface during the painting process. The pores disappeared after curing for 15 min at
Magnesium alloy;Electrophoretic paint;Adhesion;Corrosion resistance
- H.E. Friedrich and B.L. Mordike, Magnesium Technology: Metallurgy, Design Data, Applications, Springer, Berlin (2006).
- Y. Kojima, Platform Science and Technology for Advanced Magnesium Alloys, Mater. Sci. Forum, 350 (2000) 3-18.
- Kainer KU. Magnesium Alloys and their Applications, Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH (2006).
- CRC handbook of Chemistry and Physics. 61st ed. CRC Press Inc. (1980-81).
- J.E. Gray, B. Luan, Protective coatings on magnesium and its alloys - a critical review, J. Alloy Compd., 336 (2002) 88-113. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0925-8388(01)01899-0
- L. Besra, M. Liu, A review on fundamentals and applications of electrophoretic deposition (EPD), Prog. Mater. Sci., 52 (2007) 1-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pmatsci.2006.07.001
- F. Beck, Fundamental aspects of electrodeposition of paint, Prog. Org. Coat., 4 (1976) 1-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/0300-9440(76)80001-X
- N.V. Phuong, K.H. Lee, D. Chang, M. Kim, S. Lee, S. Moon, Zinc phosphate conversion coatings on magnesium alloys - a review, Met. Mater. Int., 19 (2013) 273-281. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12540-013-2023-0
- R.G. Hu, S. Zhang, J. F. Bu, C.J. Lin, G.L. Song, Recent progress in corrosion protection of magnesium alloys by organic coatings, Prog. Org. Coat., 73 (2012) 129-141. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.porgcoat.2011.10.011
- J. Zhang, C. Wu, Corrosion protection behavior of AZ31 magnesium alloy with cathodic electrophoretic coating pretreated by silane, Prog. Org. Coat., 66 (2009) 387-392. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.porgcoat.2009.09.001
- S. Moon, C. Yang, S.I. Pyun, A novel method to detect cathodic second-phase particles in Mg alloys, J. Solid State Electrochem., 19 (2015) 3491-3499. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10008-015-2768-0
- N.V. Phuong, S. Moon, Deposition and characterization of E-paint on magnesium alloys, Prog. Org. Coat. 89 (2015) 91-99. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.porgcoat.2015.08.014
- S. Moon, A blade-abrading method for surface pretreatment of Mg alloys, J. Kor. Inst. Surf. Eng., 48 (2015) 194-198. https://doi.org/10.5695/JKISE.2015.48.5.194
- N.M. Acamovic, D.M. Drazic, V.B. Miskovic-Stankovic, Influence of substrate on the formation and growth kinetics of cathodic electrocoat paint, Prog. Org. Coat., 25 (1995) 293-307. https://doi.org/10.1016/0300-9440(94)00511-X
- C.M. Reddy, R.S. Gaston, C.M. Weikart, H.K. Yasuda, Influence of surface pretreatment and electrocoating parameters on the adhesion of cathodic electrocoat to the Al alloy surfaces, Prog. Org. Coat., 33 (1998) 225-231. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0300-9440(98)00068-X
- ASTM standard D3359-02, ASTM International, 06.01 (2004).
- ASTM standard B117-03, ASTM International, 03.02 (2004).
- 1. Anodic Oxidation Behavior of AZ31 Magnesium Alloy in Aqueous Electrolyte Containing Various Na2CO3Concentrations vol.49, pp.4, 2016, doi:10.5695/JKISE.2016.49.2.141
연구 과제 주관 기관 : Korea Institute of Materials Science, Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy (MOTIE)