- Volume 5 Issue 2
Spectrum sensing is an integral part of cognitive radio, which seeks to address the perceived spectrum scarcity that is caused by inefficient utilization of the available spectrum. In this paper, a spectrum sensing system using energy detection for analog TV and FM broadcast transmitters as well as modified Integrated Services Digital Broadcasting Terrestrial (ISDB-T) signals is implemented on a software-defined radio platform using GNU' Not Unix (GNU) radio and the N200 Universal Software Radio Peripheral (USRP). Real-time implementation and experimental tests were conducted in Metro Cebu, a highly urbanized area in the southern part of the Philippines. Extensive tests and measurements were necessary to determine spectrum availability, particularly in the TV band. This is in support of the Philippine government' efforts to provide internet connectivity to rural areas. Experimental results have so far met IEEE 802.22 requirements for energy detection spectrum sensing. The designed system detected signals at -114 dBm within a sensing time of 100 ms. Furthermore, the required
Cognitive radio;Energy detection;GNU radio;Software-defined radio;Spectrum sensing;USRP
- I. a. C. T. Office, "TV White Space Deployment in PH the Largest in Asia," Tagbilaran, 2014.
- M. A. S. N. F. S. K. S. Y. a. N. H. M. Rozeha A. Rashid, "Spectrum Sensing Measurement using GNU Radio and USRP Software Radio Platform," in ICWMC 2011 : The Seventh International Conference on Wireless and Mobile Communications, Luxembourg, 2011.
- A. M. N. F. S. K. S. Y. R. A. R. a. M. H. S. Mohd Adib Sarijari, "Energy Detection Sensing based on GNU Radio and USRP: An Analysis Study," in Proceedings of the 2009 IEEE 9th Malaysia International Conference on Communications, Kuala Lumpur Malaysia, 2009.
- S. K. I. M. G. A. H. M. K. a. J.-i. T. Md. Abdur Rahman, "Development of Spectrum Sensing System with GNU Radio and USRP to Detect Emergency Radios," Tokyo, 2010.
- "gnuradio.org," GNU Radio, 2006.
- A. N. I. C. Ettus Research, "www.ettus.com,"
- W. A. N. a. A. S. Banacia, "Simulation and FPGA Implementation of Television White Space Sensing Using Energy Detection for Cognitive Radio", International Conference on Humanoid, Nanotechnology, Information Technology, Communication and Control, Environment and Management (HNICEM), Cebu City, 2015.
- J. E. M. N. C. A. T. Donn Emile Kylee M. Megazo, Generation of a Modified ISDB-T Signal Using Software Defined Radio, Cebu, 2015.
- B. A. Jayawickrama, "TV White Space Cognitive Radio System Development Using Ettus Platform," 2011.
- J. Mitola, "Software radios-survey, critical evaluation and future directions," in IEEE National Telesystems Conference, 1992.
- T. Y. a. H. Arslan, "A survey of spectrum sensing algorithms for cognitive radio applications," in IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials, 2009.
- Z. M. H. C. G. L. a. W. W. Z. Yan, "Spectrum Sensing Access and Coexistence Test ber for Cognitive Radio Using USRP," in 4th IEEE International Conference on Circuits and Systems for Communications, 2008.