- Volume 5 Issue 2
In this paper, an inversely tapered coupler with Bragg reflectors is reported for the first time. With appropriately positioned reflecting structures, our fiber-to-chip coupler can more efficiently transmit the light from fiber to a waveguide in a photonic integrated circuit (PIC). A numerical simulation evaluated the coupler's efficiency with the reflector. Optimized parameters that maximize the efficiency of the coupler are also investigated. Simulation results show that the reflector with appropriate parameters enhances efficiency by up to 7 dB. Likewise, Bragg metal reflectors implemented by the conventional metallization process can also improve efficiency. It is also shown that the proposed reflector enhances the coupling efficiency in a double-tip taper coupler.
- W. Bogaerts, et al., "Nanophotonic waveguides in silicon-on-insulator fabricated with CMOS technology," J. Lightwave Technology, 23(1), 401-412 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1109/JLT.2004.834471
- Q. Xu, et al., "Micrometre-scale silicon electro-optic modulator," Nature 435(7040), 325-327 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1038/nature03569
- Y. Vlasov, W. MJ. Green, and F. Xia, "High-throughput silicon nanophotonic wavelength-insensitive switch for on-chip optical networks," Nature Photonics 2(4), 242-246 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1038/nphoton.2008.31
- I. Moerman, P. P. Van Daele, and P. M. Demeester, "A review on fabrication technologies for the monolithic integration of tapers with III-V semiconductor devices," IEEE J. Sel. Topics Quant. Electron. 3(6), 1308-1320 (1998).
- A. Sure, et al., "Fabrication and characterization of three-dimensional silicon tapers," Opt. express 11(26), 3555-3561 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1364/OE.11.003555
- V. R. Almeida, R. R. Panepucci, and M. Lipson, "Nanotaper for compact mode conversion," Opt. Lett. 28(15), 1302-1304 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1364/OL.28.001302
- T. Alder, et al., "High-efficiency fiber-to-chip coupling using low-loss tapered single-mode fiber," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett. 12(8), 1016-1018 (2000). https://doi.org/10.1109/68.867993
- D. Taillaert, et al., "An out-of-plane grating coupler for efficient butt-coupling between compact planar waveguides and single-mode fibers," IEEE J.Quant. Electron. 38(7), 949-955 (2002). https://doi.org/10.1109/JQE.2002.1017613
- Z. Lu, "Efficient fiber-to-waveguide coupling through the vertical leakage from a microring," Opt. Lett. 32(19), 2861-2863 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1364/OL.32.002861
- T. Dillon, et al., "Fiber-to-waveguide coupler based on the parabolic reflector," Opt. Lett. 33(9), 896-898 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1364/OL.33.000896
- H. Li, et al, "Free-space coupling of a light beam into a symmetrical metal-cladding optical waveguide," Appl. Phys. Lett. 83(14), 2757-2759 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1063/1.1616205
- Z. Lu and D. W. Prather, "Total internal reflection-evanescent coupler for fiber-to-waveguide integration of planar optoelectric devices," Opt. Lett. 29(15), 1748-1750 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1364/OL.29.001748
- G. T. Reed, A. P. Knights, Silicon Photonics, John Wiley & Sons, (2004).
- R. Guanghui, et al., "Study on inverse taper based mode transformer for low loss coupling between silicon wire waveguide and lensed fiber," Opt. Commun. 284(19), 4782-4788 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.optcom.2011.05.072
- S. H. Tao, et al., "Improving coupling efficiency of fiber-waveguide coupling with a double-tip coupler," Opt. express 16(25), 20803-20808 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1364/OE.16.020803
- High positional freedom SOI subwavelength grating coupler (SWG) for 300 mm foundry fabrication vol.26, pp.22, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1364/OE.26.028773
Supported by : Ministry of Science, ICT & Future Planning