- Volume 36 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Content Analysis of Life Science Area in Science Textbooks According to Korean Elementary Curriculum Change
한국 초등학교 교육과정 변천에 따른 과학 교과서 생명영역 내용분석
- Received : 2016.01.25
- Accepted : 2016.03.03
- Published : 2016.04.30
The purpose of this paper was analyzing the contents of life science area in elementary science textbooks according to Korean science curricula change to get suggestions for the advancement of science curriculum. The framework of content analysis was developed by revising TIMSS 2015 life science evaluation framework. The results of this research were as follows: 'The differences of living things and non-living things appearing in the first grade mostly were not included in the 1st, the 6th and the 2009 revised curricula. Contents emphasizing rural life were appeared from 'Teaching themes period' to the 2nd curriculum period, disappeared from the 3rd curriculum period until the 2009 revised curriculum. Contagious disease was emphasized in all elementary grades in the 1st curriculum period, which reflected a social phenomena emphasizing health and hygiene after the Korean War. Mostly fungus was included until the 7th curriculum period and bacteria and virus were added from the 2007 revised curriculum period. The way of improving health was emphasized continuously.' The differences of living things and non-living things should be included in elementary science curriculum for the correct 'life' concept formation of elementary students. 'Strategies for helping the living of descendants' and 'the heredity of animal and plant' which were appeared in the lower grades, should be included at the higher grades with greater depth. The incoming elementary science textbooks also need to include science contents about evolution in greater depth, along with human health.
science curriculum;science textbook;TIMSS;elementary science education
- Kwon, J., Kim, B., Kang, N., Choi, B., Kim, H., Paik., S., Yang, I., Kwon, Y., Cha, H., Woo, J., & Chung, J. (2012). Theories in science education. Paju: Kyoyookbook Publication Co.
- Lee, D. & Cha, H. (2009). Development of instructional programs considering emotion and preconception on bacteria for elementary school students and their application effects. Biology Education, 37(4), 565-578. https://doi.org/10.15717/bioedu.2009.37.4.565
- Lee, M., Oh, S., & Lee, K.(2005) Analysis of elementary school children's concepts in evolution based on science history. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 24(2), 145-159.
- Lee, Y., Yoon, Y., Song, J. & Bang, D. (2014). Analysis of science educational contents of Singapore, Canada and US focused on the integrated concepts. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 34(1), 21-32. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2014.34.1.1.00021
- Lim, Y. & Kim, Y. (2013) A historical study on the Korean science curriculum for the elementary and secondary schools. Biology Education, 41(3), 483-503. https://doi.org/10.15717/bioedu.2013.41.3.483
- Ministry of Education (2011). Science Curriculum. Notification No 2011-361 of the MEST. Seoul: Ministry of Education, Science and Technology.
- Ryu, J. (2011). A Study on the Changes of'Wise Life' Textbooks. (Master's thesis). Gyeongin National University of Education.
- Son, Y. & Lee, D. (2004) A study on transition of the science textbooks for elementary school students. Journal of the Science Education, Kyungbuk National University, 27, 147-174.
- Suh, Y. (2007). A comparative study on elementary science textbooks in Korea and U.S.. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 26(5), 509-524.
- Cho, J., Kim, S., Lee, S., Kim, M., Ok, H., Rim, H., Park, Y. Lee, M., Han, H. & Son, S. (2011) The Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study (TIMSS 2011): A Technical Report of the Main Survey in Korea. Korea Institute for Curriculum and Evaluation Report of Research RRE 2011-4-1.
- Jones, L. R., Wheeler, G., & Centurino, V. A. S. (2013). TIMSS 2015 Science Frameworks. In Mullis, I. V. S, & Martin, M. O.(eds). TIMSS 2015 Assessment Frameworks. MA: TIMSS & PIRLS International Study Center.
- Kang, H., Kong, Y., Kwon, H., Kim, J., Bae, J., Song, M., Shin, Y., Yang, I., Yoon, H., Lee, D., Lee, M., Im, C., Im, H., Jang, S., Jeon, Y. & Chae, D. (2007). Theories in elementary science education. Paju: Kyoyookbook Publication Co.
- Kim, H. (2012). Study on the process of science curriculum revision in Korea: from epoch of the syllabus to 2009 revised curriculum. (Doctoral Thesis) Seoul National University.
- Kim, H., Park, J. & Song, J.(2005). A Study on the Appropriateness of the contents framework of material fields according to the National Common Basic Curriculum. Journal of the Science Education. Kyungbuk National University, 29, 15-28.
- Kim, J. (1993). Recent science education. Seoul: Hakjisa.
- Kim, J., Lee, Y., Hwang, J. & Lee, H. (1997). Curriculum and Educational Evaluation. Seoul: Kyoyookbook Publication Co.
- Kim, S & Kim, H. (2012). Analysis of Content Change in Material Field of Korean Elementary Science Textbook. Journal of the Elementary society 16, 21-54.
- Kim, S. (2013). The quality of the 8th grade students' achievement in Korea: Findings from the Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study of Korea(TIMSS 2003): Korea Institute for Curriculum and Evaluation Report of research RRE 2013-7-3.
- Kim, S., Dong, H., Kim, J. & Seo, J. (2013). TIMSS 2011 Open question anaiysis(Science). Korea Institute for Curriculum and Evaluation Report of research ORM 2013-48-2.
- Kim, S., Kim, M., Park, J., Chon, K., Kim, M. & Seo, J. (2014). Preparation of TIMSS 2015 Field Trial: Technical report. Korea Institute for Curriculum and Evaluation Report of research ORM 2014-27-5.
- Kim, J., & Kim, S. (2013). An Analysis of Korean Elementary School Students' Science Achievement in TIMSS 2011. Journal of Korean Elementary Education. 32(4), 423-436.
- Kim, S., Lee, J. Park, J., & Lee, M. (2015). Analysis of mathematics and science contents through consistency analysis of national curricula and TIMSS 2015 items. Korea Institute for Curriculum and Evaluation Report of research ORM 2015-50-2.
- Kim, J., & Lee, S. (2010). A development and effects of biodiversity educational program for elementary students based on ESD..Journal of Korean Practical Arts Education 16(3), 161-182. https://doi.org/10.17055/jpaer.2010.16.3.161
- Kim, M., & Kim, K. (2011). A Content Analysis of Biology Domain of Korean and Singaporean Textbooks Based on the TIMSS Framework. Biology Education. 39(2), 217-234. https://doi.org/10.15717/bioedu.2011.39.2.217
- Cheong, Y. (1988) A study on the environmental education of the elementary science curriculum change. (Master's thesis). Yonsei University.
- An Comparative Study of Articulation on Science Textbook Concepts and Extracted Concepts in Learning Objectives Using Semantic Network Analysis - Focus on Life Science Domain - vol.35, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.15267/keses.2016.35.3.377