- Volume 5 Issue 1
Wastewater process models are the essential tools for understanding relevant aspects of wastewater treatment system. Wastewater process modeling provides more options for upgrades and better understanding of new plant design, as well as improvements of operational controls. The software packages (BioWin, GPS-X, Aqua designer, etc) solve a series of simulated equations simultaneously in order to propose several solutions for a specific facility. Research and implementation of wastewater process modeling in combination with computational fluid dynamics enable testing for improvements of flow characteristics for WWTP and at the same time exam biological, physical, and chemical characteristics of the flow. Application of WWTP models requires broad knowledge of the process and expertise in modeling. Therefore, an efficient and good modeling practice requires both experience and set of proper guidelines as a background.
wastewater treatment plant;modeling;activated sludge process;simulation
- ATV-DVWK-A 131E (2000), Dimensioning of Single-Stage Activated Sludge Plants. German ATV-DVWK rules and standards, German Association for Water, Wastewater and Waste, Hennef, Germany.
- BITControl GmbH (2010), Aqua Designer, Manual and Software for Design of Wastewater Treatment Plants, Germany.
- Eckenfelder, W.W. (2000), Industrial Water Pollution Control, McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York, USA.
- GPS-X (2008),Hydromantis Inc, Hamilton, ON, Canada (http://www.hydromantis.com)
- Gujer, W., Henze, M., Mino, T. and van Loosdrecht,M.C.M. (1999), "Activated sludge model No. 3", Water Sci. Technol., 183-193.
- Henze, M., Gujer, W., Mino, T. and van Loosdrecht, M.C.M. (2000), Activated Sludge Models ASM1, ASM2, ASM2d, and ASM3, International Water Association Scientific and Technical Report No. 9, IWA Publishing, London, UK.
- Henze, M., Gujer, W., Mino, T., Matsuo, T., Wentzel, M.C., Marais, G.v.R. and Van Loosdrecht, M.C.M. (1999), "Activated sludge model no.2D, ASM2D", Water Sci. Technol., 39(1), 165-182.
- Jeppsson, U. (1996), A General Description of the Activated Sludge Model No. 1 (ASM1): Modelling Aspects of Wastewater Treatment Processes, Lund Institute of Technology, Lund University, Sweden.
- Martinello, N. (2000), Modeling of WWTP, Lectures, University of Padua.
- Metcalf and Eddy (2003), Wastewater Engineering, Treatment and Reuse, (4th Ed.), McGraw-Hill Book Company, USA.
- Mulas, M. (2006), Modelling and Control of Activated Sludge Processes, Ph.D. Disertation, University Cagliari.
- Petersen, B. (2000), Calibration, identification and optimal experimental design of activated sludge models, Ph.D. Disertation, Department of Applied Mathematics, Biometrics and Process Control, Ghent University, Belgium.
- Song, Y., Xie, Y. and Yudianto, D. (2012), "Extended activated sludge model no. 1 (ASM1) for simulating biodegradation process using bacterial technology", Water Sci. Eng., 5(3), 278-290.
- Tchobanoglous, G. (1991), Wastewater Engineering, Treatment, Disposal, Reuse, McGraw-Hill Inc., Metcalf and Eddy, New York, London, Hamburg.