- Volume 5 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Free vibration analysis of gravity dam-reservoir system utilizing 21 node-33 Gauss point triangular elements
- Received : 2016.01.04
- Accepted : 2016.03.15
- Published : 2016.03.25
This paper deals with the free vibration analysis of a dynamical coupled system: flexible gravity dam- compressible rectangular reservoir. The finite element method is used to compute the natural frequencies and modal shapes of the system. Firstly, the reservoir and subsequently the dam is modeled by classical 8-node elements and the natural frequencies plus modal shapes are calculated. Afterwards, a new 21-node element is introduced and the same procedure is conducted in which an efficient method is employed to carry out the integration operations. Finally, the coupled dam-reservoir system is modeled by solely one 21-node element and the free vibration of dam-reservoir interaction system is investigated. As an important result, it is clearly concluded that the one high-order element treats more precisely than the eight-node elements, since the first one utilizes fifth-degree polynomials to construct the shape functions and the second implements polynomials of degree two.
dam-reservoir interaction;Finite element method;mathematica;Gauss integration
- Attarnejad, R. and Kalateh, F. (2012), "Numerical simulation of acoustic cavitation in the reservoir and effects on dynamic response of concrete dams", Int. J. Civil Eng., 10, 72-86.
- Bouaanani, N. and Lu, F.Y. (2009), "Assessment of potential-based fluid finite elements for seismic analysis of dam-reservoir systems", Comput. Struct., 87, 206-224.
- Burman, A., Nayak, P., Agrawal, P. and Maity, D. (2012), "Coupled gravity dam-foundation analysis using a simplified direct method of soil-structure interaction", Soil Dynam. Earthq. Eng., 34(1), 62-68. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2011.10.008
- Calayir, Y. and Karaton, M. (2005), "A continuum damage concrete model for earthquake analysis of concrete gravity dam-reservoir systems", Soil Dynam. Earthq. Eng., 25(11), 857-869. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2005.05.003
- Dunavant, D.A. (1985), "High degree efficient symmetrical Gaussian quadrature rules for the triangle", Int. J. Numer. Meth. Eng., 21(6), 129-148.
- Fenves, G. and Chopra, A.K. (1984), "Earthquake analysis of concrete gravity dams including reservoir bottom absorption and dam-water-foundation rock interaction", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 12(5), 663-680. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290120507
- Ghaemian, M. and Ghobarah, A. (1999), "Nonlinear seismic response of concrete gravity dams with dam-reservoir interaction", Eng. Struct., 21(4), 306-315. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(97)00208-3
- Hall, J.F. and Chopra, A.K. (1982), "Hydrodynamic effects in the dynamic response of concrete gravity dams", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 10(2), 333-345. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290100212
- Hariri-Ardebili, M.A., Mirzabozorg, H. and Ghasemi, A. (2013), "Strain-based seismic failure evaluation of coupled dam-reservoir-foundation system", Coupled Syst. Mech., 2(1), 85-110. https://doi.org/10.12989/csm.2013.2.1.085
- Karaca, MA. And Kucukarslan, S. (2012), "Analysis of dam-reservoir interaction by using homotopy analysis method", KSCE J. Civil Eng., 16(1), 103-106. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12205-012-0870-8
- Keivani, A., Shooshtari, A. and Aftabi Sani, A. (2014), "Forced vibration analysis of a dam-reservoir interaction problem in frequency domain", Coupled Syst. Mech., 3(4), 385-403. https://doi.org/10.12989/csm.2014.3.4.385
- Leger, P. and Bhattacharjee, S.S. (1992), "Reduced frequency-independent models for seismic analysis of concrete gravity dams", Comput. Struct., 44(6), 1381-1387. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7949(92)90380-I
- Lyness, J.N. and Jespersen, D. (1975), "Moderate degree symmetric quadrature rules for the triangle", J. Inst. Math. Appl., 15(1), 19-32. https://doi.org/10.1093/imamat/15.1.19
- Miquel, B. and Bouaanani, N. (2010), "Simplified evaluation of the vibration period and seismic response of gravity dam-water systems", Eng. Struct., 32(8), 2488-2502. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2010.04.025
- Miquel, B. and Bouaanani, N. (2011), "Practical dynamic analysis of structures laterally vibrating in contact with water", Comput. Struct., 89(23-24), 2195-2210. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2011.08.017
- Mirzayee, M., Khaji, N. and Ahmadi, M.T. (2011), "A hybrid distinct element-boundary element approach for seismic analysis of cracked concrete gravity dam-reservoir systems", Soil Dynam. Earthq. Eng., 31(10), 1347-1356. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2011.05.011
- Mridha, S. and Maity, D. (2014), "Experimental investigation on nonlinear dynamic response of concrete gravity dam-reservoir system", Eng. Struct., 80, 289-297. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2014.09.017
- Rao, S.S. (2011), "The Finite Element Method in Engineering", Burlington, MA 01803, USA.
- Samii, A. and Lotfi, V. (2007), "Comparison of coupled and decoupled modal approaches in seismic analysis of concrete gravity dams in time domain", Finite Elem. Anal. Des., 43, 1003-1012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.finel.2007.06.015
- Valliappan, S. amd Zhao, C. (1992), "Dynamic response of concrete gravity dams including dam-water-foundation interaction", Int. J. Numer. Anal. Meth. Geomech., 16(2), 79-99. https://doi.org/10.1002/nag.1610160202
- Yazdchi, M., Khalili, N. and Valliappan, S. (1999), "Non-linear seismic behaviour of concrete gravity dams using coupled finite element-boundary element technique", Int. J. Numer. Meth. Eng., 44(1), 101-130. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0207(19990110)44:1<101::AID-NME495>3.0.CO;2-4
- Zhao, C., Xu, T.P. and Valliappan, S. (1995), "Seismic response of concrete gravity dams including water-dam-sediment-foundation interaction", Comput. Struct., 54(4), 705-715. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7949(94)00367-C