- Volume 38 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Removal Characteristics of Boron and Humic Acid by Pre-blending Seawater and Brackish Water Using UF-SWRO Hybrid Process in Pilot-scale Plant for Desalination
UF-SWRO 혼합공정을 이용한 해수담수화 파일럿 플랜트에서의 해수와 기수의 블렌딩을 통한 보론 및 휴믹산 제거 특성
- Received : 2015.11.25
- Accepted : 2016.01.26
- Published : 2016.01.31
Using UF-SWRO hybrid process, pre-blending tests of seawater and brackish water were performed to investigate the effects on removal of boron and humic acid (HA). Feedwater pre-blending was set based on TDS concentration from 15,000 mg/L to 27,000 mg/L and analyzed for boron removal characteristics. Also organics rejection at same TDS concentration range was investigated by injecting HA. Boron concentration appeared to be high as TDS concentration was high ranging from 76.60% to 83.27%, but boron concentration in final produced water was increased up to 0.69 mg/L from 0.48 mg/L. In cases of HA tests at 10 mg/L, 22,500 mg/L TDS appeared to be higher removal rate of 17.59% than a very poor result of 8.43% in 27,000 mg/L. But high HA removal rate of 57.14% was obtained in produced water with 22,500 mg/L TDS containing 10 mg/L of HA and 27,000 mg/L TDS yielded lower boron removal rate of 54.49%. Meanwhile it was found that a relatively high flux and recovery rate were obtained following process when feedwater was injected with HA. It is considered that most of fouling substances were eliminated by binding between HA and
- Shannon, M. A., Bohn, P. W., Elimelech, M., Georgiadis, J. G., Marinas, B. J. and Mayes, A. M., "Science and technology for water purification in the coming decades," Nature, 452(7185), 301-310(2008). https://doi.org/10.1038/nature06599
- Baltasar, P. and Lourdes, G. R., "Current trends and future prospects in the design of seawater reverse osmosis desalination technology," Desalination, 284(4), 1-8(2012). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2011.09.010
- Ali, A. T. and Adel, O. S., "Alternative design to dual stage NF seawater desalination using high rejection brackish water membranes," Desalination, 273(2-3), 391-397(2011). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2011.01.056
- IDA desalination yearbook 2009-2010, "Global Water Intelligence," IDA, 6-7(2009).
- Zaidi, S. M. J., Fadhillah, F., Khan, Z. and Ismail, A. F., "Salt and water transport in reverse osmosis thin tilm composite seawater desalination membranes," Desalination, 368(15), 202-213(2015). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2015.02.026
- Vrouwenvelder, H. S., van Paassen, J. A. M., Folmer, H. C., Hofman, J. A. M. H., Nederlof, M. M. and van der Kooij, D., "Biofouling of membranes for drinking water production," Desalination, 118(1-3), 157-166(1998). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0011-9164(98)00116-7
- National Research Council, Desalination: A National Perspective, Amy K. Zander, The National Academies Press, Washington, D. C., pp. 138-141(2008).
- Jermann, D., Pronk, W., Kagi, R., Halbeisen, M. and Boller, M., "Influence of interactions between NOM and particles on UF fouling mechanisms," Water Res., 42(14), 3870-3878 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2008.05.013
- Yuan, W. and Zydney, A. L., "Humic acid fouling during microfiltration," J. Membr. Sci., 157(1), 1-12(1999). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0376-7388(98)00329-9
- Huang, H., Young, T. and Jacangelo, J. G., "Novel approach for the analysis of bench-scale, low pressure membrane fouling in water treatment," J. Membr. Sci., 334(1-2), 1-8(2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.memsci.2009.01.049
- Li, S., Heijman, S. G. J., Verberk, J. Q. J. C. and van Dijk, J. C., "Influence of Ca and Na ions in backwash water on ultrafiltration fouling control," Desalination, 250(2), 861-864 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2008.11.057
- Pinheiro, J., Mota, A., d'Oliveira, J. and Martinho, J., "Dynamic properties of humic matter by dynamic light scattering and voltammetry," Anal. Chim. Acta, 329(1-2), 15-24(1996). https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2670(96)00097-9
- World Health Organization (WHO), Guidelines for Drinking-Water Quality fourth edition, http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/publications/2011/dwq_guidelines/en(2011).
- Official Journal of European Communities, Council Directive 98/83/EC, http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:31998L0083&rid=12(1998).
- Greenlee, L. F., Lawler, D. F., Freeman, B. D., Marrot, B. and Moulin, P., "Reverse osmosis desalination: water sources, technology, and today's challenges," Water Res., 43(9), 2317-2348(2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2009.03.010
- Kabay, N., Bryjak, M., Schlosser, S., Kitis, M., Avlonitis, S., Matejka, Z., AI-Mutaz, I. and Yuksel, M., "Adsorption-membrane filtration (AMF) hybrid process for boron removal from seawater: an overview," Desalination, 223(1-3), 38-48 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2007.01.196
- Yavuz, E., Arar, O., Yuksel, M., Yuksel, U. and Kabay, N., "Removal of boron from geothermal water by RO system-II-effect of pH," Desalination, 310(1), 135-139(2013). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2012.07.044
- Abdul Azis, P. K., Al-Tisan I. and Sasikumar, N., "Biofouling potential and environmental factors of seawater at a desalination plant intake," Desalination, 135(1-3), 69-82(2001). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0011-9164(01)00140-0
- Guler, E., Kabay, N., Yuksel, M., Yavuz, E. and Yuksel, U., "A comparative study for boron removal from seawater by two types of polyamide thin film composite SWRO membranes," Desalination, 273(1), 81-84(2011). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2010.10.045
- Bujakowski, W., Pajak, L. and Tomaszewska, B., "Renewable energy resources in the Silesian Voivodship (southern Poland) and their potential utilization," Miner. Resour. Manag., 24 (2), 409-426(2008).
- Hoffer, E. and Kedem, O., "Ion separation by hyperfiltration through charged membrane. I. Calculation based on TMS model," Indus. Eng. Chem. Proc. Des. Dev., 11(2), 221-225 (1972a). https://doi.org/10.1021/i260042a601
- Hoffer, E. and Kedem, O., "Ion separation by hyperfiltration through charged membranes. II. Separation performance of collodion-polybase membranes," Indus. Eng. Chem. Proc. Des. Dev., 11(2), 226-228(1972b).
- Yaroshchuk, A. E., "Negative rejection of ions in pressure-driven membrane processes," Adv. Colloid Interface Sci. 139(1-2), 150-173(2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cis.2008.01.004
- Nir, O., Marvin, E. and Lahav, O., "Accurate and self-consistent procedure for determining pH in seawater desalination brines and its manifestation in reverse osmosis modeling," Water Res., 64(1), 187-195(2014). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2014.07.006
- Busch, M., Michols, W. E., Jons, S., Redondo, J. and Witte, J. D., "Boron removal in sea water desalination," Int. Desalination and Water Reuse Quart., 13(4), 25(2004).
- Chang, H., Qu, F., Liu, B., Yu, H., Li, K., Shao, S., Li, G. and Liang, H., "Hydraulic irreversibility of ultrafiltration membrane fouling by humic acid: Effects of membrane properties and backwash water composition," J. Membr. Sci., 493(1), 723-733(2015). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.memsci.2015.07.001
- Hong, S. K. and Elimelech, M., "Chemical and physical aspects of natural organic matter (NOM) fouling of nanofiltration membranes," J. Membr. Sci., 132(2), 159-81(1997). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0376-7388(97)00060-4
Supported by : 국토교통부