- Volume 38 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Management of Automated Vacuum Waste Collection Systems in Suburban Apartment Complexes
신도시 아파트단지의 생활폐기물 자동집하시설 운용 및 관리실태
- Received : 2016.01.08
- Accepted : 2016.02.05
- Published : 2016.02.29
The purpose of this research is to explore both on-site manager's and resident's assessment of the Automated Vacuum Waste Collection System (AVWCS) in suburban apartment complexes. In doing so, a self-administered questionnaire survey was conducted in 10 districts and their 11 apartment complexes in the Seoul Metropolitan Area. The main findings can be summarized as follows: the managers considered the AVWCS to be economically efficient and environmentally fiendly, and suggested that the system be managed in a more professional way, with an advanced technology and by more qualified technicians. The recommendation was related to residents' complaints and frequent mechanical failures frequently occurring in waste inlets and waste transport piping of the system. For residents using the system, the system was satisfactory, and should be necessarily improved with more user-friendly features. Further, most comments made by the residents were relevant to waste inlets such as safety, cleanliness, prompt repair, odor reduction, waste separation. It's of significant to train residents with how to properly use the system, which is expected to substantially fall a number of residents' complaints. Therefore, both professional management of AVWCS and regular workshops on how to utilize it are crucial in order to heighten its strengths.
Automated Vacuum Waste Collection System;Apartment Complexes;Housing Management;Sustainability;Residential Environment
- Kim, I.-B., "Technical features of air blower in automated waste collection system," Mag. Flu. Mach., 11(5), 74-78 (2009).
- Lee, J., Byun, J., Lee, D. and Lee, S., "Functionality of waste chute in automated waste collection system," Mag. Flu. Mach., 12(2), 84-93(2009).
- LHI (Land and Housing Institute of the Korea Land and Housing Corporation), "A Study on the Analysis of Operational Status for Automatic municipal waste collection facilities in the development district," LHI 2015-57, pp. 95-108 (2015).
- Korea Ministry of Environment, "Guidelines for development and management of pneumatic refuse collection system," (2007).
- Sung, S.-K. and Suh, S.-H., "Optimal piping network design of pneumatic waste collection system," Mag. Flu. Mach., 13(3), 54-58(2010).
- Chung, W. S., "Case studies on management of automated waste collection system," Mag. Flu. Mach., 12(2), 94-97 (2009).
- Statistics Korea Home Page, "e-national indicators," http://www.index.go.kr/potal/main/PotalMain.do, December(2015).
- Statistics Korea Home Page, "Korean statistical information service," http://kosis.kr/, December(2015).
- Korea Ministry of Environment, "Annual Statistics of Waste Production and Management," (1993-2014).
- Bae, J. H., "Automated waste collection system in Gimpo," Mag. Soc. AC & Ref. Eng. Korea, 8(5), 12-17(2009).
- Jang, C.-M. and Lee, J.-S., "Operating characteristics of serially connected centrifugal blowers used for automated vacuum waste collection system," J. Flu. Mach., 17(4), 40-46(2014). https://doi.org/10.5293/kfma.2014.17.4.040
- Ju, C. W., "Electrical control system of automatic waste collection facilities," J. Flu. Mach., 12(2), 73-77(2009). https://doi.org/10.5293/KFMA.2009.12.2.073
- Kim, G. and Seo, C., "Design and fabrication of a standard plastic garbage bag recognition system at automatic garbage facility. J. Korean Soc. Comp. & Info., 17(9), 85-90(2012).
- Kim, N. Shen, M., Choi, O. and Li, H., "A usability analysis of automatic garbage disposal in residential complex," Bull. Korean Soc., Des. & Art, 11(5), 41-50(2010).
- Lee, J. Y., "The most suitable plan of automatic domestic solid waste collection system for land development area," J. Flu. Mach., 12(1), 28-34(2009). https://doi.org/10.5293/KFMA.2009.12.1.028
- Paik, K.-i., Um, J.-S., Na, H.-Y. and Han, I.-S., "A study of odor reduction method for automatic waste collection facilities," J. Flu. Mach., 17(2), 54-58(2014). https://doi.org/10.5293/kfma.2014.17.2.054
- Sung, S.-K., Park, J. and Suh, S.-H., "A Study on the optimal design of confluent pipe for waste collection piping system," Korean J. AC & Ref., 24(5), 428-432(2012).
- Yoon, Y. and Kim, D., "Emission characteristics of odor compounds from pneumatic waste collection plants," J. Korean Soc. Environ. Eng., 34(8), 541-548(2012). https://doi.org/10.4491/KSEE.2012.34.8.541
Supported by : 국토교통부