- Volume 38 Issue 3
This research is to explore food waste management across local governments. In particular, pubic administration on food waste, food waste management (from generation to disposal) and civil complaints in jurisdiction are examined. In doing so, a self-administered questionnaire survey was conducted among civil officers in charge of food waste management, and all the collected responses were statistically analyzed. The main results were as follows: public spending on food waste management was a little larger in metropolises than in provincial cities, and the largest food waste source was identified as households (in housing). While regular collection of food waste by trucks was the most common transport method adopted by local governments, resource recovery for compost/fertilizer production was widely used. Also, most of the respondents agreed that the current approach to food waste handling practices are necessarily replaced with more advanced technology converting waste into energy or fuel. Further, it's found that the civil complaints on food waste management were largely categorized into 3 groups - food waste handling, civil service and food waste retrieval. Therefore, the findings indicate that the development and application of no-food waste or waste-to-resource systems are effective in housing estates where large amount of food waste is generated and eliminated.
Food Waste Management;Public Spending;Civil Complaint;Local Government;Residential Environment
- Choi, G. H., "A study on optimization in anaerobic digestion of food wastes," Master's thesis, University of Seoul, Seoul(2009).
- Kang, B. M., Hwang, H. U., Kim, J. H., Yang, Y. W. and Kim, Y. J., "Study of reutilization with aerobic microbes of organic food waste leachates," J. Korean Soc. Environ. Eng., 33(1), 54-59(2011). https://doi.org/10.4491/KSEE.2011.33.1.054
- Kwon, B. G., Na., S-H., Lim, H-J., Lim, C-S. and Chung, S.-Y., "Slurry phase decomposition of food waste by using various microorganisms," J. Korean Soc. Environ. Eng., 36(5), 303-310(2014). https://doi.org/10.4491/KSEE.2014.36.5.303
- Lee, T. H., A study of the development of a new system for treating food waste into resources, Master's thesis, Inha University, Incheon(2013).
- LHI (Land and Housing Institute of the Korea Land and Housing Corporation), "Application of Food Waste-Zero Emission System to Apartment Complexes," LHI2010, pp. 140-169(2010).
- Oh, J. I., "Variation of Adenosine tri-Phosphate (ATP) in fermentation-extinction of food wastes with wood bio-chip," J. Korean Soc. Environ. Eng., 32(4), 363-368(2010).
- Oh, J. I. and Lee, H. J., "Exploring residents' attitudes in multi-family housing toward food waste zero-emission system with fermentation and extinction technology," J. Korean Soc. Environ. Eng., 35(5), 321-333(2013). https://doi.org/10.4491/KSEE.2013.35.5.321
- Oh, J. I. and Lee, H. J., "Experimental evaluation and resident's assessment of zero food waste system in multi-family housing estates," J. Korean Soc. Environ. Eng., 37(12), 674-681(2015). https://doi.org/10.4491/KSEE.2015.37.12.674
- Oh, J. I., Lee, H. J. and Seok, H. J., "An analysis of food waste generation of residents and food waste resources in multifamily housing," J. Korean Soc. Environ. Eng., 32(10), 905-915(2010).
- Yoon, E. J., Oh, J. I. and Yoon, J. H., "Evaluation of food-waste-compost maturity with the seed germination index of plants," J. Korean Soc. Environ. Eng., 36(10), 667-671(2014). https://doi.org/10.4491/KSEE.2014.36.10.667
- LHI (Land and Housing Institute of the Korea Land and Housing Corporation), "A Study on On-Site Practicalization of Food Waste Zero House System by Using Fermentation Extinction Technology," LHI2012-23, pp. 85-162(2012).
- LHI (Land and Housing Institute of the Korea Land and Housing Corporation), "A Study on the Test-Operation of Zero Food Waste Housing System with Fermentation-Extinction Technology," LHI2014-65, pp. 195-221(2014).
- Korea Ministry of Government Legislation Home Page, http://www.moleg.go.kr/main.html, December(2015).
- Korea Ministry of Environment, "Annual Statistics of Waste Production and Management,"(1993-2014).
- Korea Ministry of Environment, "A General Plan for Food Waste Reduction 1998-2002,"(1998).
- Korea Ministry of Environment, "A Master Pan for Food Waste 2004-2007,"(2004).
- Korea Ministry of Environment, "A Comprehensive Plan for Food Culture and Food Waste 2006-2010,"(2005).
- Seoul Metropolitan Council, "London Convention and Its Impacts on Food Waste Disposal,"(2013).
- Kwon, O. S., Kang, D. H., Lee, J.-I. and Lim, D., "Relative efficiencies of food waste treatment facilities: A nonparametric approach," Environ. Res. Econ. Rev., 10(3), 323-344(2009).
- Hong, J. H., "Economic analysis of food waste recycling and its methods," The Hanyang J. Econ. Stud, pp. 285-301(2001).
Supported by : 국토교통부