- Volume 49 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Comparison of the Biological Activities of Electrodialysis-desalted Bioactive Compounds from the Halophyte Suaeda japonica
전기투석시스템을 활용한 염생식물 칠면초(Suaeda japonica) 추출물의 염분 표준화에 따른 주요 성분 및 생리활성 비교 연구
Park, Hyeon-Ho;Ko, Seok-Chun;Jung, Won-Kyo
- Received : 2016.01.21
- Accepted : 2016.03.14
- Published : 2016.04.30
To effectively remove salts from Suaeda japonica, extracts, an electrodialysis system was developed. The biological activities of non-desalted (NDS) and desalted S. japonica (DS) extracts were compared. The DS extract exhibited superior polyphenolic (6.26%) and carbohydrate (28.56%) contents. The IC50 values of the DS extract against DPPH radicals and hydrogen peroxide were 0.22 and 0.68 mg/mL, respectively, which was higher than that of the NDS extract. Neither the DS nor the NDS extract was cytotoxic in RAW 264.7 macrophages. Additionally, the DS extract had a higher NO inhibitory effect compared to the NDS extract in lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-activated RAW 264.7 macrophages. These data indicate that DS extracts have greater biological activity than do ND extracts, and application of the electrodialysis process may be useful in marine bioresource applications.
Suaeda japonica;Desalting;Electro-dialysis system;Biological activity
- Cho BY and Han YW. 2001. A study on Seawater desalination using EDR method. Korean J Soc Water Wastewater 15, 309-316.
- Dubois M, Gilles KA, Hamilton JK, Rebers PA and Smith F. 1956. Colorimetric method for determination of sugar and related substances. Anal Chem 28, 350-356. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/ac60111a017 https://doi.org/10.1021/ac60111a017
- Cho JY, Huang Z, Park SY, Park KH, Pai1 TK, Kim SY, Kim HR and Ham KS. 2014. The effects of several halophytes on insulin resistance in otsuka long-evans tokushima fatty rats. Korean J Food Sc Technol 46, 100-107. http://dx.doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2014.46.1.100 https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2014.46.1.100
- Choi JI, Kim YY, Kim JH, Kwon JH, Ahn DH, Chun BS and Lee JW. 2010. Physiological activities of Suaeda japonica extracts on harvest season. Korean J Soc Food Sci Nutr 39, 99-104. http://dx.doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.1.099 https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.1.099
- Choi JI, Kim YJ, Kim JH, Song BS, Yoon Y, Byun MW, Kwon JH, Chun SS and Lee JW. 2009. Antioxidant activities of the extract fractions from Suaeda japonica. Korean J Soc Food Sci Nutr 38, 131-135. http://dx.doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.2.131 https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.2.131
- Heo SJ, Yoon WJ, Kim KN, Ahn GN, Kang SM, Kang DH, Affan A, Oh C, Jung WK and Jeon YJ. 2010. Evaluation of anti-inflammatory effect of fucoxanthin isolated from brown algae in lipolysaccharide-stimulated RAW 264.7 macrophages. Food Chem Toxicol 48, 2045-2051. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2010.05.003 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2010.05.003
- Jung CE and Shim EG. 2008. Salt-related dietary behaviors and sodium intakes of university students in Gyeonggido. Korean J Soc Food Sci Nutr 37, 578-588. http://dx.doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.5.578 https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.5.578
- Kang H, Koppula S, Kim HK and Park TK. 2013. Suaeda japonica Makino attenuates lipopolysaccharide-induced neuro-inflammatory responses in BV-2 microglia via NF-kappa B signaling. Trop J Pharm Res 12, 351-356. http://dx.doi.org/10.4314/tjpr.v12i3.12 https://doi.org/10.4314/tjpr.v12i3.12
- Kim HH, Jun BS, Kim SK, Cha JY and Cho YS. 2000. Polyphenolic compound content and antioxidative activities by extracts from seed, sprout and flower of safflower (Carthamus tinctiorius L.). Korean J Soc Food Sci Nutr 29, 1127-1132.
- Kang MC, Kim SY, Kim YT, Kim EA, Lee SH, Ko SC, Wijesinghe WA, Samarakoon K W, Kim YS, Cho JH, Jang HS and Jeon YJ. 2014. In vitro and in vivo antioxidant activities of polysaccharide purified from aloe vera (Aloe bardadensis) gel. Carbohydrate Polymers 99, 365-371. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.carbpol.2013.07.091 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbpol.2013.07.091
- Kim DU. 2006. Hypernatremia and hyponatremia. Korean J Pediatrics 49, 463-469. https://doi.org/10.3345/kjp.2006.49.5.463
- Kim HK, Cheon BS, Kim YH, Kim SY and Kim HP. 1999. Effects of naturally occurring flavonoids on nitric oxide production in the macrophage cell line RAW 264.7 and their structure-activity relationships. Biochem Pharmacol 58, 759-765. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0006-2952(99)00160-4
- Kim JG, Kang YM, Eum GS, Ko YM and Kim TY. 2003. Antioxidative activity and antimicrobacteral activity of extracts from medicinal plants (Akebia quinate Decaisn, Scirusfluviatilis A. Gray, Gardenia jasminoides for. Grandiflora Makino). J Agric Life Sci 37, 69-75.
- Kim J, Song JY, Lee JM, Oh SH, Lee HJ, Choi HJ, Go JH and Kim YH. 2010. A study on physicochemical property of Salicornia herbaciea and Suaeda japonica. J Fd Hyg Safety 25, 170-179.
- Ko SC and Jeon YJ. 2015. Anti-inflammatory effect of enzymatic hydrolysates from Styela clava flesh tissue in lipopolysaccharide-stimulated RAW 264.7 macrophages and in vivo zebrafish model. Nutr Res Prac 9, 219-226. http://dx.doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2015.9.3.219. https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2015.9.3.219
- Ko SC, Kang SM, Ahn G, Yang HP, Kim KN and Jeon YJ. 2010a. Antioxidant activity of enzymactic extracts from Sargassum coreanum. Korean J Soc Food Sci Nutr 39, 494-499. http://dx.doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.4.494 https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.4.494
- Lee KS, Gim JC, Son SM and Lee KY. 2011. Antioxidative effect of Suaeda japonica ethanol extract and solvent partitioned fractions. Korean J Soc Food Sci Nutr 40, 804-808. http://dx.doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.6.804 https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.6.804
- Ko SC, Kang SM., Lee SH, Ahn G, Kim KN, Kim YT, Kim JS, Heu MS and Jeon YJ. 2010b. Protective effect of enzymatic extracts from Sargassum coreanum on H2O2-induced cell damage. Fish Aquat Sci 13, 26-35. http://dx.doi.org/10.5657/fas.2010.13.1.026 https://doi.org/10.5657/fas.2010.13.1.026
- Kong CS, Um YR, Lee JI, Kim YA, Lee JS and Seo YW. 2008. Inhibition effects of extracts and its solvent fractions isolated from Limonium tetragonum on growth of human cancer cells. Korean J Biotechnol Bioeng 23, 177-182.
- Lee KS, Kim AJ and Lee KY. 2012. Analysis of Chemical Composition and Antioxidant Activity of Suaeda japonica. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 22, 521-526. http://dx.doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.6.804
- Michea L, Ferguson D R, Peters E M, Andrews P M, Kirby M R and Burg M B. 2000. Cell cycle delay and apoptosis are induced by high salt and urea in renal medullary cells. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 278, 209-218. https://doi.org/10.1152/ajprenal.2000.278.2.F209
- Müller HE. 1985. Detection of hydrogen peroxide produced by microorganism on ABTS-peroxidase medium. Zentrabl Bakteriol Mikrobiol Hyg 259, 151-158. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0176-6724(85)80045-6 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0176-6724(85)80045-6
- Nanjo F, Goto K, Seto R, Suzuki M, Sakai M and Hara Y. 1996. Scavenging effects of tea catechins and their derivatives on 1,1-diphenyl-2-picrylhydrazyl radical. Free Radic Biol Med 21, 895-902. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0891-5849(96)00237-7 https://doi.org/10.1016/0891-5849(96)00237-7
- Oki T, Masuda M, Furuta S, Nishibia Y, Terahara N and Suda I. 2002. Involvement of anthocyanins and other phenolic compounds in radical-scavenging activity of purple-freshed sweet potato cultivars. Food Chem Toxicol 67, 1752-1756. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2002.tb08718.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2002.tb08718.x
- Singleton VL, Orthofer R and Lamuela-Raventos RM. 1999. Analysis of total phenols and other oxidation substrates and antioxidants by means of folin-ciocalteu reagent. Methods Enzymol 299, 152-178. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0076-6879(99)99017-1
- Park EJ and Kang MH. 2002. Application of the alkaline comet assay for detecting oxidative DNA damage in human biomoditoring. Korean J Nutr 35, 213-222.
- Park HJ, Kim MM and Oh YH. 2012. Effect of fruit extract of Prunus mume on the scavenging activity of reactive oxygen species and melannin production in B16F10 cells. J Life Science 22, 936-942. http://dx.doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2012.22.7.936 https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2012.22.7.936
- Park PJ, Lee SH and Kim SK. 2000. Desalination of boiled oyster extract by electrodialysis. Korean J Biotechnol Bioeng 15, 167-173.
- Stela H. 1994. Oxidation of ascorbic acid and metal ions as affected by NaCl. J Agric Food Chem 42, 2402-2406. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jf00047a008 https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00047a008
- Yokozawa T, Chen CP, Dong E, Tanaka T, Nonaka GI and Nishioka I. 1988. Study on the inhibitory effect of tannins and flavonoids against the 1, 1-diphenyl-2-picrylhydrazyl radical. Biochem Pharm 56, 213-222. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0006-2952(98)00128-2 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0006-2952(98)00128-2