- Volume 49 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Bloom of a Filamentous Green Alga Cladophora vadorum (Areschoug) Kützing and Nutrient Levels at Shangrok Beach, Buan, Korea
부안 상록해수욕장의 사상 녹조류 금발대마디말(Cladophora vadorum) 대량발생과 영양염 농도
Ha, Dong Soo;Yoo, Hyun Il;Chang, Soo Jung;Hwang, Eun Kyoung
- Received : 2016.01.16
- Accepted : 2016.02.29
- Published : 2016.04.30
A filamentous green alga Cladophora vadorum (Areschoug) Kützing, bloomed at Shangrok Beach, Buan, Republic of Korea, in September 2015. This alga is currently distributed worldwide. Concentrations of total nitrogen (TN), total phosphorus (TP), dissolved inorganic nitrogen (DIN), and dissolved inorganic phosphorus (DIP) were analyzed in the bloom area and compared to those of other areas in the vicinity. DIN and DIP concentrations were similar to those of other areas. However, TN and TP were as much as six and ten times higher than in other areas, respectively. As in other Cladophora species, the bloom of C. vadorum at Shangrok Beach in 2015 appears to have depended on the TP concentration in the seawater. This suggests that blooms in the area can be controlled by reducing TP.
Bloom;Cladophora vadorum;Total Phosphorus;Total Nitrogen
- Auer MT. 1982. Ecology of filamentous algae. J Gt Lakes Res 8, 1-237. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0380-1330(82)71934-3
- Bae EH, Kim HS, Kwon CJ, Hwang IK, Kim GH and Klochkova TA. 2010. Algal flora of Korea. Vol 1 Marine green algae. National Institute of Biological resources, Incheon, Korea, 218.
- Canale RP and Auer MT. 1982. Ecological studies and mathematical modeling of Cladophora in Lake Huron: 7. Model verification and system response. J Gt Lakes Res 8, 134-143. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0380-1330(82)71951-3
- Chang JH, Ryu SO and Jo YJ. 2007. Long-term variation of tidal-flat sediments in Gomso Bay, West Coast of Korea. J Kor Earth Sci Soc 28, 357-366. https://doi.org/10.5467/JKESS.2007.28.3.357
- Charlton MN, Le Sage R and Milne JE. 1999. Lake Erie in transition: the 1990’s. In: State of Lake Erie (SOLE)-past, present and future. Munawar M, Edsall T and Munawar IF, eds. Ecovision World Monograph Series. Backhuys Publ, Netherlands, 97-123.
- Fletcher RL. 1996. The occurrence of “Green Tides”- a review. In: Recent changes and the effects of eutrophication. Schramm W and Nienhuis PH, eds. Springer, 7-43.
- Lee YP. 2008. Marine algae of Jeju. Academy Book Co., Jeju, Korea, 477.
- Higgins SN, Malkin SY, Howell ET, Guildford SJ, Campbell L, Hiriart-Baer V and Hecky RE. 2008. An ecological review of Cladophora glomerata (Chlorophyta) in the Laurentian Great Lakes. J Phycol 44, 839-854. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1529-8817.2008.00538.x. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1529-8817.2008.00538.x
- Jang PG, Lee WJ, J MC, Lee JD, Lee WJ, Chang M, Hwang KC and Shin K. 2005. Spatial and temporal distribution of inorganic nutrients and factors controlling their distributions in Gwangyang Bay. Ocean Polar Res 27, 359-379. http://dx.doi.org/10.4217/OPR.2005.27.4.359. https://doi.org/10.4217/OPR.2005.27.4.359
- Kang EJ, Kim JH, Kim K, Choi HG, Kim KY. 2014. Re-evaluation of green tide-forming species in the Yellow Sea. Algae 29, 267-277. http://dx.doi.org/10.4490/algae.2014.29.4.267. https://doi.org/10.4490/algae.2014.29.4.267
- Liu D, Keesing JK, Dong Z, Zhen Y, Di B, Shi Y, Fearns P and Shi P. 2010. Recurrence of the world’s largest green-tide in 2009 in Yellow Sea, China: Porphyra yezoensis aquaculture rafts confirmed as nursery for macroalgal blooms. Mar Pollut Bull 60, 1423-1432. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2010.05.015
- LOICZ(Land Ocean International in the Coastal Zone). 1995. The dynamics of global change and the coastal zone. LOICZ Meeting Report, Texel 9, 108.
- Mann KH. 2000. Ecology of coastal waters. Blackwell, Science, Berkeley, U.S.A, 406.
- Norkko A and Bonsdorff E. 1996. Population responses of coastal zoobenthos to stress induced by drifting algal mats. Mar Ecol Prog Ser 140, 141-151. https://doi.org/10.3354/meps140141
- Orlova MI, Muirhead JR, Antonov PI, Shcherbina GK, Starobogatav YI, Biochino GI, Therriarult TW and MacIssac HJ. 2004. Range expansion of quagga mussels Dreissena rostiformis bugensis in the Volga River and Caspian Sea basin. Aquat Ecol 38, 561-573. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10452-005-0311-6. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10452-004-0311-y
- Rizzo WM. 1990. Nutrient exchange between the water column and a subtidal benthic macroalgal community. Estuaries 12, 219-226.
- Painter SD and Kamaitis G. 1987. Reduction of Cladophora biomass and tissue phosphorus in Lake Ontario, 1972-1983. Can J Fish Aquat Sci 44, 2212-2215. https://doi.org/10.1139/f87-271
- Pang SJ, Liu F, Shan TF, Xu N, Zhang ZH, Gao SQ, Chopin T and Sun S. 2010. Tracking the algal origin of the Ulva bloom in the Yellow Sea by a combination of molecular, morphological and physiological analyses. Mar Envirn Res 69, 207-215. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.marenvres.2009.10.007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marenvres.2009.10.007
- Planas D, Maberly SC and Parker JE. 1996. Phosphorus and nitrogen relationships in Cladophora glomerata in two lake basins of different trophic status. Freshw Biol 35, 609-622.
- Shear H and Konasewich DE. 1975. Cladophora in the Great Lakes. International joint Commission, Windsor, Ontario, Canada, 179.
- Smetacek V and Zingone A. 2013. Green and golden seaweed tides on the rise. Nature 504, 84-88. http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/nature12860. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature12860
- Taft CE and Kishler WJ. 1973. Cladophora as related to pollution and eutrophication in western Lake Erie, No. 332X, 339X. Water Resources Center, Ohio State Univ and US Department of the Interior, Columbus, Ohio, U.S.A., 103.
- Taft CE. 1975. History of Cladophora in the Great Lakes. In: Cladophora in the Great Lakes. Shear H and Konansewich DE, eds. International Joint Commission, Windsor, Ontario, Canada, 5-16.
- Valiela I, McClelland J, Hauxwell J, Behr PJ, Hersh D and Foreman K. 1997. Macroalgal blooms in shallow estuaries: Controls and ecophysiological and ecosystem consequences. Limnol Oceanogr 42, 1104-1118.
- Wong SL and Clark B. 1976. Field determination of the critical nutrient concentrations for Cladophora in streams. J Fish Res Board Can 33, 85-92. https://doi.org/10.1139/f76-010
- Vallentyne JR and Thomas NA. 1978. Fifth year review of Canada-United States Great Lakes water quality agreement. Report of task group III – A technical group to review phosphorus loading. International Joint Commission, Windsor, Ondario, Canada, 84.
- van den Hoak C. 1963. Revision of the European species of Cladophora. Leiden, 248.
- Whitton BA. 1970. Biology of Cladophora in freshwaters. Water Res 4, 457-476. https://doi.org/10.1016/0043-1354(70)90061-8
- Ye N, Zhang X, Mao Y, Liang C, Xu D, Zou J, Zhuang Z, Wang Q. 2011. 'Green tides' are overwhelming the coastline of our blue planet: taking the world's largest example. Ecol Res, 26, 477-485. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11284-011-0821-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11284-011-0821-8