- Volume 58 Issue 5
This paper assesses efficiency of the continuum method as the idealized system of building structures. A modified Coupled Two-Beam (CTB) model equipped with classical and non-classical damping has been proposed and solved analytically. In this system, complementary (non-classical) damping models composed of bending and shear mechanisms have been defined. A spatial shear damping model which is non-homogeneously distributed has been adopted in the CTB formulation and used to equivalently model passive dampers, viscous and viscoelastic devices, embedded in building systems. The application of continuum-based models for the dynamic analysis of shear wall systems has been further discussed. A reference example has been numerically analyzed to evaluate the efficiency of the presented CTB, and the optimization problems of the shear damping have been finally ascertained using local and global performance indices. The results reveal the superior performance of non-classical damping models against the classical damping. They show that the critical position of the first modal rotation in the CTB is reliable as the optimum placement of the shear damping. The results also prove the good efficiency of such a continuum model, in addition to its simplicity, for the fast estimation of dynamic responses and damping optimization issues in building systems.
building structural systems;continuum model;replacement beam (RB);coupled two-beam (CTB);classical damping;non-classical damping;passive damping
- Adhikari, S. (2000), "Damping models for structural vibration", Ph.D. Dissertation, Cambridge University, Cambridge.
- Adihikari, S. and Woodhous, J. (2001), "Identification of damping: Part 1, viscous damping", J. Sound Vib., 243(1), 43-61. https://doi.org/10.1006/jsvi.2000.3391
- Bozdogan, K.B. (2012), "Differential quadrature method for free vibration analysis of coupled shear walls", Struct. Eng. Mech., 41(1), 67-81. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2012.41.1.067
- Capsoni, A., Vigano, G.M. and and Bani-Hani, K. (2013), "On damping effects in Timoshenko beams", Int. J. Mech. Sci., 73, 27-39. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2013.04.001
- Chen, W.R. (2011), "Bending vibration of axially loaded Timoshenko beams with locally distributed kelvinvoigt damping", J. Sound Vib., 330(13), 3040-3056. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2011.01.015
- Christopoulos, C. and Montgomery, M. (2013), "Viscoelastic coupling damper (VCD) for enhanced dynamic performance of high-rise buildings", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 12(15), 2217-2233.
- De Silva, C.W. (2007), Vibration Damping Control and Design, CRC Press, Taylor and Francis Group, Boca Raton, Floria, USA.
- Dym, C.L. and Williams H.E. (2007), "Estimating fundamental frequencies of tall buildings", J. Struct. Eng., 135(9), 1479-1483.
- Faridani, H.M. and Capsoni, A. (2014), "An innovative approach to model dissipation mechanism in coupled shear walls", Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Structural Dynamics, EURODYN 2014, Porto, Portugal, June-July.
- Huang, X. and Zhu, H.P. (2013), "Optimal arrangement of viscoelastic dampers for seismic control of adjacent shear-type structures", Appl. Phys. Eng., 14(1), 47-60.
- Hwang, J.S., Tsai, C.H., Wang, S.J. and Huang, Y.N. (2006), "Experimental study of RC building structures with supplemental viscous dampers and lightly reinforced walls", Eng. Struct., 28, 1816-1824. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2006.03.012
- Hwang, J.S., Huang, Y.N., Yi, S.L. and Ho S.Y. (2008), "Design formulations for supplemental viscous dampers to building structures", J. Struct. Eng., 134(1), 22-31. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2008)134:1(22)
- Kayacik, O., Bruch, J.C., Sloss, J.M., Adali, S. and Sadekm I.S. (2008), "Integral equation approach for piezo patch vibration control of beams with various types of damping", Comput. Struct., 86(3-5), 357-366. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2007.01.033
- Keel, C.J. and Mahmoodi, P. (1986), "Designing of viscoelastic dampers for Columbia Center building", ASCE, Building Motion in Wind, Seattle, USA.
- Kocaturk, T. and Simsek, M. (2006), "Dynamic analysis of eccentrically prestressed viscoelastic Timoshenko beams under a moving harmonic force", Comput. Struct., 84(31-32), 2113-2127. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2006.08.062
- Lavan, O. (2012), "On the efficiency of viscous dampers in reducing various seismic responses of wall structures", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 41(12), 1673-1692. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.1197
- Madsen, L., Thambiratnam, D. and Perera, N. (2003), "Seismic response of building structures with dampers in shear walls", Comput. Struct., 81, 239-253. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-7949(02)00441-8
- Mahmoodi, P., Robertson, L.E., Yontar, M., Moy, C. and Feld, I. (1987), "Performance of viscoelastic dampers in World Trade Center towers", Structures Congress on Dynamics of Structures, Orlando, USA.
- Marko, J., Thambiratnam, D. and Perera, N. (2004), "Influence of damping systems on building structures subject to seismic effects", Eng. Struct., 26(13), 1939-1956. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2004.07.008
- Miranda, E. and Taghavi, SH. (2005), "Approximate floor acceleration demands in multistory buildings. I: formulation", J. Struct. Eng., 131(2), 203-211. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2005)131:2(203)
- Muravskii, G.B. (2004), "On frequency independent damping", J. Sound Vib., 274(3-5), 653-668. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2003.05.012
- Tsai, T.C., Tsau, J.H. and Chen, C.S. (2009), "Vibration analysis of a beam with partially distributed internal viscous damping", Int. J. Mech. Sci., 51(11-12), 907-914. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2009.09.039
- Potzta, G. and Kollar, L.P. (2003), "Analysis of building structures by replacement sandwich beams", Int. J. Solid. Struct., 40(3), 535-553. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7683(02)00622-4
- Silvestri, S and Trombetti, T. (2007), "Physical and numerical approaches for the optimal insertion of seismic viscous dampers in shear-type structures", J. Earthq. Eng., 11(5), 787-828. https://doi.org/10.1080/13632460601034155
- Smith, B.S. and Coull, A. (1991), Tall Building Structures: Analysis and Design, John Wily & Sons, New York, USA.
- Soong, T.T. and Dargush, G.F. (1997), Passive Energy Dissipation Systems in Structural Engineering, Wiley Company, New York, USA.
- Sullivan, T.J. and Lago, A. (2010), "Retrofit of RC wall buildings using viscous dampers", Proceeding of the 14th European Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Ohrid, Republic of Macedonia.
- Takabatake, H. (2010), "Two-dimensional rod theory for approximate analysis of building structures", Earthq. Struct., 1(1), 1-19. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2010.1.1.001
- Taghavi, S.H. and Miranda, E. (2005), "Approximate floor acceleration demands in multistory buildings. II: applications", J. Struct. Eng., 131(2), 212-220. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2005)131:2(212)
- Takewaki, I. (2009), Building Control with Passive Dampers: Optimal Performance-based Design for Earthquakes, John Wiley & Sons Ltd., Singapore.
- Trombetti, T. and Silvestri, S. (2004), "Added viscous dampers in shear-type structures: the effectiveness of mass proportional damping", J. Earthq. Eng., 8(2), 275-313.
- Trombetti, T. and Silvestri, S. (2006), "On the modal damping ratios of shear-type structures equipped with Rayleigh damping systems", J. Sound Vib., 292, 21-58. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2005.07.023
- Tarjan, G. and Kollar, LP. (2004), "Approximate analysis of building structures with identical stories subjected to earthquake", Int. J. Solid. Struct., 41(5), 1411-1433. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2003.10.021
- Zalka, K.A. (2001), "A simplified method for calculation of the natural frequencies of wall-frame buildings", Eng. Struct., 23(12), 1544-1555. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(01)00053-0
- Zalka, A.K. (2012), Structural Analysis of Regular Multi-Storey Buildings, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, Boca Raton, Floria, USA.
- Zarubinskaya, M.A. and Van Horssen, W.T. (2005), "On an improved elastic dissipation model for a cantilevered beam", Quart. Appl. Math., 63(4), 681-690. https://doi.org/10.1090/S0033-569X-05-00979-4
- 1. Analysis of passively-damped coupled shear walls using continuum-based models vol.148, 2017, doi:10.12989/sem.2016.58.5.905