- Volume 19 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Study on the Design of Deformation Tube for 200kJ Large Energy Absorption
200kJ 대용량 에너지 흡수용 변형튜브 설계에 관한 연구
Kim, Jin Mo;Lee, Jong Kil;Kim, Ki Nam
- Received : 2015.11.24
- Accepted : 2016.03.04
- Published : 2016.04.30
The market share of high-speed railway vehicles is increasing across the world. A high-performance impact energy absorption factor is essential to satisfy the safety standards of railway vehicles. A deformed tube assembly is a typical energy absorption factor in railway vehicles. The tube assembly comprises a deformed tube and a press-fitting punch, its performance depends on the absorption energy characteristics in the plastic zone of the tube. In this study, a deformed tube assembly of a railway vehicle is designed that can absorb a maximum impact energy of 200kJ under plastic deformation. Slab method and finite element analysis are used to estimate the reaction force of the punch in the initial stage, the performance of the designed tube assembly is confirmed experimentally.
Deformation tube;Impact energy absorption apparatus;Squeezing tube;Passenger safety;Expansion tube
- K.H. Ahn (2008) Study on the crash energy absorption and dynamic local buckling of the expansion tubes, Master Thesis, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology.
- W.M. Choi, T.S. Kwon (2009) Experimental investigation on effect of conical angle of punch on energy absorbing characteristic of expansion tubes, KSAE 09-B0287, pp. 1712-1717.
- W.M. Choi, T.S. Kwon, H.S. Jung, J.S. Kim (2011) Study on rupture of tube type crash energy absorber using finite element method, World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, Vol. 5, pp. 538-543.
- S.J. Heo, J.H. Lee, J.S. Koo (1998) Design of impact energy absorber for high speed railway vehicles, Proceeding of the KSR Conference, Korea, pp. 377-384.
- X.M. Qiu, L.H. Hea, J. Gub, X..H Yua (2013) A three-dimensional model of circular tube under quasi-static external free inversion, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, Vol. 75, pp. 87-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2013.06.009
- Y.K. Ko, K.H. Ahn, H. Huh, W.M. Choi, H.S. Jung, T.S. Kwon (2009) Prediction of crash energy absorption capacity of a tearing tube, KSAE 2009 Annual Conference & Exhibition, Song-do, Incheon, pp. 3134-3140.
- A.A. Singace , H. Sobky (1997) Behaviour of axially crushed corrugated tubes, Int. J. Mech. Sci., 39(3), pp. 249-268. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7403(96)00022-7
- S. Salehghaffari, M. Tajdari, M. Panahi, F. Mokhtarnezhad (2010) Attempts to improve energy absorption characteristics of circular metal tubes subjected to axial loading, Thin-Walled Structures Vol. 48, pp. 379-390. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2010.01.012
- S. Salehghaffari, M. Rais-Rohani, A Najafi (2011) Analysis and optimization of externally stiffened crush tubes, Thin-Walled Structures, Vol. 49, pp. 397-408. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2010.11.010
- R. Velmurugan, R. Muralikannan (2009) Energy absorption characteristics of annealed steel tubes of various cross sections in static and dynamic loading, Latin American Journal of Solids and Structures, Vol. 6, pp. 385-412.
- Y. Yamada, T. Banno, Z. Xie, C. Wen (2005) Energy absorption and crushing behaviour of foam-filled aluminium tubes, Materials Transactions, 46(12), pp. 2633-2636. https://doi.org/10.2320/matertrans.46.2633
- X.M. Qiu, L.H. Hea, J. Gub, X.H. Yua (2013) A three-dimensional model of circular tube under quasi-static external free inversion, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, Vol. 75, pp. 87-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2013.06.009
- A.A.A. Alghamdi (2001) Collapsible impact energy absorbers, Thin-Walled Structures, Vol. 39, pp. 189-213. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-8231(00)00048-3
- British-Adopted European Standard (2010) Railway Applications Crash Worthiness Requirements for Railway Vehicle Bodies, BS EN 15227:2008+A12010.
- J.M. Kim (2016) Prediction of the performance of a deformation tube for railway cars using the slab method, Transaction of Materials Processing, Forthcoming 2016 April.
- D.W. Kim (1998) Plasticity, Cheongmungak, Paju (Kor., Republic of), pp. 171-177.
- https://things.maths.cam.ac.uk/computing/software/abaqus_docs/docs/v6.12/books/stm/default.htm (Accessed 7 April 2016).
Grant : 대용량 에너지흡수장치가 적용된 TSI 표준형 연결기 시스템 개발
Supported by : 국토교통부