- Volume 19 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Investigation of the Bond and Deformation Characteristics between an Asphalt layer and a Concrete Slab used as the Trackbed Foundation of an Embedded Rail System for Wireless Trams
무가선 트램용 매립형궤도 아스팔트 포장층의 부착특성 및 변형발생특성 분석
Cho, Hojin;Kang, Yunsuk;Lee, Suhyung;Park, Jeabeom;Lim, Yujin
- Received : 2016.04.11
- Accepted : 2016.04.21
- Published : 2016.04.30
Embedded Railway Systems (ERS) will be adapted for wireless trams and will be constructed along city roadways. An asphalt layer should be overlaid on top of the concrete slab used as the trackbed structure in order to ensure smoothness and surface levels equal to those of existing road pavement in downtown city areas. However, the characteristics of an asphalt layer when used as overlay pavement for an ERS are complicated and the behavior of this material is not yet well defined and understood. Therefore, in this study, laboratory shear and tensile bond strength tests were conducted to investigate the bonding behavior of an asphalt layer in a multilayered trackbed section of an ERS. For the laboratory tests, a waterproof coating material was selected as a bonding material between the asphalt overlay and a concrete specimen. Valuable design parameters could be obtained based on the tensile and shear bond strength test results, providing information about the serviceability and durability of the overlaid pavements to be constructed alongside the ERS for wireless trams. In addition, a deformation analysis to assess the tensile strain generated due to truck axle loads at the interface between the asphalt layer and the concrete slab was conducted to verify the stability and performance of the asphalt layer.
Wireless tram;Embedded Rail System;Asphalt pavement;Bond strength;Railway trackbed
- J. An, H. Kim (2012) A study for implementing innovative urban surface transit systems in Korea: Focusing on Tramways, The Korea Transport Institute, Report 2012-18.
- M. Huurman (2002) Embedded Rail in Asphalt: Design calculations embedded rail with CAPA-3D(in Dutch), Delft University of Technology, Report 7-02-131-3.
- S. Ingo, B. Sag, J. Nils (2010) Design and implementation of solutions at test sites WP3.5-Bremen-tram track replacement techniques, Urban Track Final Conference, Prague, Czech.
- Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs (2011) Bridge pavement design and construction of interim guidelines, Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs, Report 11-1611000-001711-01.
- Ministry of Construction and Transportation (2007) Bridge pavement quality management manual, Ministry of Construction and Transportation, Report 11-1500000-001949-01.
- Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport (2014) Asphalt production and construction guidelines, Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport, Report 11-1613000-000218-0.
- C. Raab, M.N. Partl (2004) Interlayer Shear Performance : Experience with Different Pavement Structures, 3th Eurasphalt & Eurobitume Congress, Vienna, Austria, Vol. 1, pp. 535-545.
- M.J. Cho (2013) Investigation into bonding characteristics of tack coat materials for asphalt overlay on concrete pavement, International Journal of Highway Engineering, Korea, 15(4), pp. 85-94.
- AASHTO (2004) Guide for mechanistic-empirical design, American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials, National Cooperative Highway Research Program.
- J.G. Park, S.C. Kim, J.M. Han (2008) Evaluation of ERS(Embedded Rail Track System) : Design and Experiments, Proc. Conference of the Korean Society for Railway, Korea, pp. 1649-1658.
Grant : 무가선 저상트램 실용화
Supported by : 국토교통부