- Volume 19 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Multidimensional Scaling Analysis of Inter-regional Public Transit Services: Focusing on Inter-regional Railways
다차원척도법을 활용한 지역 간 대중교통 수단들의 유사성에 관한 연구: 간선열차를 중심으로
- Received : 2015.11.13
- Accepted : 2016.03.07
- Published : 2016.04.30
As sustainable growth has been emphasized in the field of transportation, the railway system has been promoted as an environmentally-friendly transport mode. However, mode shifts from other transport modes to railway have been sluggish. In this context, to enhance the understanding of railway's competitive advantages and disadvantages, this research evaluates travelers'preferences for public transport modes for inter-regional trips: such understanding should make it possible to formulate effective policy for promoting railways. To this end, passenger recognition of competitive transport modes has been measured by applying multidimensional scaling analysis for six major inter-regional public transport services - KTX, ITX-Samaeul, Mugunghwa-ho, premium express bus, general express bus, and airline. As a result, we can conceptualize the recognition similarity in two-dimensional space, and understand how travelers perceive the six major transport modes.
Main-line railway;Multidimensional Scaling;Train Satisfaction;Inter-city Transportation
- www.kotems.or.kr (Accessed 30 June 2015).
- EPA (2011) United States Environmental Protection Agency, pp. 1-459.
- IEA (2014) CO2 Emission from Combustion Highlights 2014, pp. 1-139.
- www.stat.molit.go.kr/portal/stat/yearReport.do (Accessed 30 June 2015).
- Kruskal, J.B., Wish, M. (1978) Multidimensional Scaling, CA: Sage Publications, Newbury Park, Quantitative Applications in the Social Sciences, 07-011
- F.W. Young (1985) "Multidimensional Scaling", Wiley, Encyclopedia of Statistical Sciences, Vol. 5.
- J.-J. Huang, Gwo-Hshiung Tzeng, Chorng-Shyong Ong (2005) "Multidimensional data in multidimensional scaling using the analytic network process", Pattern Recognition Letters, Volume 26, Issue 6, 1 May 2005, Pages 755-767. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.patrec.2004.09.027
- Kim, S.S., Sun, H., AP, J. (2008) "Is there competition in the exhibition market in Asia? Analysis of the positioning of major Asian exhibition host cities", Asia Pacific Journal of Tourism Research, 13(3), pp. 205-227. https://doi.org/10.1080/10941660802280299
- J. Douglas Carroll and Phipps Arabie (1980) "Multidimensional Scaling", Annual Review of Psychology, Vol. 31, pp. 607-649. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.ps.31.020180.003135
- Boyd, H.W. Jr., & Walker, O. C. Jr. (1990) Marketing management: a strategic approach. Homewood, IL:Irwin, pp. 1-899.
- Hu, M.H. (2010) SPSS Statistics Scale Analysis, Datasolution, pp. 1-99.
- www.index.go.kr/potal/main/EachDtlPageDetail.do?idx_cd=1258 (Accessed 5 August 2015).
- European Environment Agency (2014) C02 emissions from passenger transport 2014.
- www.kosis.kr (Accessed 30 June 2015).
- T.H. Kim, K.S. Jeong, J.J. Park (2009) "A Comparative Study on the Service Characteristics for Transferring Process of High-Speed Rail and DomesticAirline Systems by Using Structural Equation Modeling", Korean Society of Civil Engineers, 29(2D), pp. 183-190.
- S.J. Hong, (1988) "Strengthen the Competitiveness of the air transport industry: Air and research through a comparison of the highspeed rail ", Korea Civil Aviation Development Association, 18('98.3) pp. 84-102.
- S.M. Jeon (2004) "After the opening of high-speed rail intercity express bus use demand analysis and competitive room", Korea Research Institute of Transportation Industries.
- Y.J. Choi, Y.K. Kim (2003) "Exploratory Study on the Development Plan for the Domestic Air Transportation After High SpeedTrain Era in Korea", Korea Academic Society of Tourism Management, 18(2), pp. 223-234.
- Kim. S. S., Sun, H, Ap. J. (2008) "Is there competition in the exhibition market in Asia? Analysis of the positioning of major Asian exhibition host cities. Asia Pacific Journal of Tourism Research, 13(3), p. 205-227. https://doi.org/10.1080/10941660802280299
- J.H. You, H.H. Han (2014) "A study on the Satisfaction Analysis and Service Improvement of Public Transportation: Focused on the Express Bus, City Railway and Airlines"Transportation Technology and Policy", 11(5), pp. 28-35.
- Y.M. Kim, Y.H. Park, J.C. Kim, S.J. Hong (2002) "Basic research for the air traffic sector activation associated with the high-speed rail opening ", The Korea Transport Institute, ISBN 89-5503-092-4 99320.
- M.J. Jung, K.S. Lee (2015) "Structural Changes in the Korean Inter-City Passenger Flows Caused by Time-Distance Changes: Based on the Passengers of Express Bus and Railroad Systems", Journal of the Korean Geographical Society, 50(5), pp. 527-541.
- Y.K. Kim (2010) "High-speed rail plan for competitiveness", Korean Society for Railway, Railway Journal, 13(5), pp. 8-15.
Supported by : 국토교통부