- Volume 22 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Survival Strategy of Dominant Diatom Chaetoceros debilis and Leptocylindrus danicus as Southwestern parts of East Sea - The availability of Dissolved Organic Nitrogen under Dissolved Inorganic Nitrogen-limited Environments
동해 남서해역에서 우점 규조류 Chaetoceros debilis와 Leptocylindrus danicus의 생존전략 - 용존 무기 질소 제한 환경에서 용존 유기 질소의 이용가능성
Yang, Han-Soeb;Jeon, Seul Gi;Oh, Seok Jin
- Received : 2016.02.29
- Accepted : 2016.04.27
- Published : 2016.04.30
The bioavailability of dissolved organic nitrogen (DON) by dominant species Chaetoceros debilis and Leptocylindrus danicus under dissolved inorganic nitrogen (DIN)-limited condition in the southwestern East Sea was conducted to assess the quantitative evaluation using growth kinetic experiment. Nitrogen sources were nitrate and ammonium as DIN, glycine and urea, which is portion component of DON in East Sea. Maximum specific growth rate (
East Sea;Dissolved inorganic nitrogen;Dissolved organic nitrogen;Chaetoceros debilis;Leptocylindru danicus
- Antia, N. J., P. J. Harrison and L. Oliveria(1991), Phycological reviews: the role of dissolved organic nitrogen in phytoplankton nutrition, cell biology, and ecology, Phycologia, Vol. 30, pp. 1-89. https://doi.org/10.2216/i0031-8884-30-1-1.1
- Auro, M. E. and W. P. Cochlan(2013), Nitrogen utilization and toxin production by two diatoms of the Pseudo-nitzschia pseudodelicatissima complex: P. cuspidata and fryxelliana, Journal of Phycology, Vol. 49, pp. 156-169. https://doi.org/10.1111/jpy.12033
- Berman, T. and D. A. Bronk(2003), Dissolved organic nitrogen; a dynamic participant in aquatic ecosystems, Aquatic Microbial Ecology, Vol. 31, pp. 279-305. https://doi.org/10.3354/ame031279
- Bronk, D. A. and D. K. Steinberg(2008), Nitrogen regeneration In: Capone, D.G. and E. J. Carpenter(eds), Nitrogen in the Marine Environment, Elsevier, Inc., New York, pp. 375-459.
- Carpenter, E. J. and K. Romans(1991), Major role of the cyanobacterium Trichodesmium in nutrient cycling in the North Atlantic Ocean, Science, Vol. 254, pp. 1356-1368. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.254.5036.1356
- Chihara, M. and M. Murano(1997), An illustrated guide to marine plankton in Japan, Tokai University Press, Tokyo, p. 1574.
- Chung, C. S., J. H. Shim, Y. C. Park and S. G. Park(1989), Primary productivity and nitrogenous dynamics in the East Sea of Korea, Journal of the Korean Society of Oceanography, Vol. 24, pp. 52-61.
- Cowey, C. B. and E. D. S. Corner(1963), Amino aicds and some other nitrogenous compounds in Calanus finmarchicus. J. Mar. Biol. Ass. U.K., Vol. 43, pp. 485-493. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0025315400000461
- Dittmar, T., H. P. Fitznar and G. Katmer(2001), Organic and biogeochemical cycling of organic nitrogen in the eastern Arctic Ocean as evident from D- and L-amino aicds. Geochim. cosmochim. Acta, Vol. 65, pp. 4103-5114. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0016-7037(01)00688-3
- Doblin, M. A., S. I. Blackburn and G. M. Hallegraeff(1999), Growth and biomass stimulation of the toxic dinoflagellate Gymnodinium catenatum (Graham) by dissolved organic substances, Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology, Vol. 236, pp. 33-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-0981(98)00193-2
- Duce, T. A., R. S. Liss, J. T. Merrill, T. Buar-Menard, B. B. Hichks, F. M. Miller, J. M. Prospero, T. Arimoto, T. M. Church, W. Ellis, J. N. Galloway, L. Hanson, T. D. Jickells, A. D. Knapp, K. H. Rienhart, B. Schneider, A. Soudine, J. J. Tokos, S. Tsunogai, R. Wollast and M. Zhou(1991), The atmospheric input of trace species to the world ocean, Global Biogeochemical Cycles, Vol. 5, pp. 193-259. https://doi.org/10.1029/91GB01778
- Dugdale, R. C.(1967), Nutrients limitation in the sea: dynamic, identification and significance, Limnology and Oceanography, Vol. 12, pp. 685-695. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.1967.12.4.0685
- Dugdale, R. C. and J. J. Goering(1967), Uptake of new and regenerated forms of nitrogen in primary productivity, Limnology and Oceanography, Vol. 12, pp. 196-206. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.1967.12.2.0196
- Eppley, R. W. and B. J. Peterson(1979), Particulate organic matter flux and planktonic new production in the deep ocean, Nature, Vol. 282, pp. 677-680. https://doi.org/10.1038/282677a0
- Eppley, R. W. and W. H. Thomas(1969), Comparison of half-saturation constant fro growth and nitrate uptake of marin phytoplankton. Journal of Phycology, Vol. 5, pp. 375-379. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1529-8817.1969.tb02628.x
- Fisher, N.S. and R. A. Cowdell(1982), Growth of marine planktonic diatoms on inorganic and organic nitrogen. Mar. Biol., Vol. 72, pp. 147-155. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00396915
- Gilbert P. M., C. Garside, J. A. Fuhrman and M. R. Roman(1991), Dependent coupling of inorganic and organic nitrogen uptake and regeneration in the plume of the Chesapeake Bay estuary and its regulation by large heterotrophs, Limnol. Oceanogr, Vol. 36, pp. 895-909. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.1991.36.5.0895
- Gobler C. F., A. Burson, F. Koch, Y. Tang and M. R. Mulholland(2012), The role of nitrogenous nutrients in the occurrence of harmful algal blooms caused by Cochlodinium polykrikoides in New York estuaries (USA), Harmful Algae, Vo. 17, pp. 64-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hal.2012.03.001
- Guillard, R. R. L. and J. H. Ryther(1962), Studies of marine planktonic diatoms: I. Cyclotella nana Hustedt and Detonula confervaca (Cleve) Gran, Canadian Journal of Mircobiology, Vol. 8, No, 2, pp. 223-239.
- Hansell, D. A. and C. A. Carslon(2014), Biogeochemistry of marine dissolved organic matter, Academic Press.
- Hu, Z., S. Duan, N. Xu and M. R Mulholland(2014), Growth and nitrogen uptake kinetics in cultured Prorocentrum donghaiense, PLOS ONE, Vol. 9, No. 4, e94030. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0094030
- Kang, I. S(2009), Optical characteristic and growth kinetics for nitrate and phosphate by the planktonic diatom Skeletonema costatum and bentic diatom Nitzschia sp., Master Thesis, Chnonam National University, Yeosu, p. 84.
- Keil, R. G. and D. L. Kirchman(1991), Dissolved combined amino acids in marine waters as determined by a vapor-phase hydrolysis method. Mar. Chem., Vol. 33, pp. 243-259. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-4203(91)90070-D
- Kim, A. R., S. H. Youn, M. H. Chung, S. C. Yoon and C. H. Moon(2014), The influences of coastal upwelling on phytoplankton community in the Southern part of East Sea, Korea, Journal of the Korean Society of Oceanography, Vol. 19, pp. 287-301.
- Kim, T. H. and G. B. Kim(2013), Factors controlling the C:N:P stoichiometry of dissolved organic matter in the N-limited cyanobacteria-dominated East/Japan Sea, Journal of Marine Systems, Vol. 115-116, pp. 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmarsys.2013.01.002
- Kim, T. H., Y. W. Lee and G. B. Kim(2010), Hydrographically mediated patterns of photosynthetic pigments in the East/Japan Sea: Low N:P ratios and cyanobacterial dominance, Journal of Marine Systems, Vol. 82, pp. 72-79. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmarsys.2010.03.005
- Kwak, J. H., J. S. Hwang, E. J. Choy, H. J. Park, D. J. Kang, T. S. Lee, K. I. Chang, K. R. Kim and C. K. Kang(2013), High primary productivity and f-ratio in summer in the Ulleung basin of the East/Japan Sea, Deep Sea Research : Oceanographic Research Papers, Vol. 79, pp. 74-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dsr.2013.05.011
- Kwon, H. K., S. J. Oh, M. O. Park and H. S. Yang(2014), Distribution of water masses and distribution characteristics of dissolved inorganic and organic nutrients in the southern part of the East Sea of Korea: Focus on the observed data in September, 2011, Journal of the Korean Society for Marine Environment and Energy, Vol. 17, pp. 90-103. https://doi.org/10.7846/JKOSMEE.2014.17.2.90
- Kwon, H. K., J. A. Park, H. S. Yang and S. J. Oh(2013), Dominance and surviral strategy of toxic dinoflagellate Alexandrium tamarense and Alexandrium catenella under dissolved inorganic nitrogen-limited conditions, Journal of the Korea Society for Marine Environment and Energy, Vol. 16, pp. 25-35. https://doi.org/10.7846/JKOSMEE.2013.16.1.25
- Leong, S. C. and S. Taguchi(2004), Response of the dinoflagellate Alexandrium tamarense to a range of nitrogen sources and concentrations: growth rate, chemical carbon and nitrogen, and pigments. Hydrobiologia, Vol. 515, pp. 215-224. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:HYDR.0000027331.49819.a4
- Moon, C. H., S. R. Yang, H. S. Yang, H. J. Cho, S. Y. Lee and S. Y. Kim(1998), Regeneration processes of nutrients in the polar front area of the East sea. IV. Chlorophyll a distribution, new production and the vertical diffusion of nitrate, Korean Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, Vol. 31, No. 2, pp. 259-266.
- Park, Y. C., S. K. Son, K. H. Chung and K. H. Kim(1995), Characteristics of fluorescent organic matter and amino acids composition in the East Sea, Journal of the Korean Society of Oceanography, Vol. 30, pp. 341-354.
- Porter, K. G. and Y. S. Feig(1980), The use of DAPI for identifying and counting aquatic microflora, Limnology and Oceanography, Vol. 25, pp. 943-948. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.1980.25.5.0943
- Provasoil, L., K. Shiraishi and J. R. Lance(1959), Nutritional idiosyncrasies of Artemia and Tigriopus in monoxenic culture, Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, Vol. 77, pp. 250-261.
- Ryther, J. H. and W. M. Dunstan(1971), Nitrogen, phosphorus, and eutrophication in the coastal marine environment. Science, Vol. 12, pp. 1008-1013.
- Sharp, J. H.(1983), The distribution of inorganic nitrogen and dissolved and particulate organic nitrogen in the sea. Academic Press, New York, pp. 1-35.
- Shim, J. H.(1994), Illustrated encyclopedia of fauna and flora of Korea, Marine phytoplankton, Ministry of Education, Seoul, Vol. 34, pp. 1-487.
- Shim, J. H., K. Y. Kwon, S. Y, Kim and D. S. Yoon(2015), Seasonal change of phytolankton dominant species dased on water mass in the coastal areas of the East Sea, Jornal of the Korean Society of Marine Environment & Safety, Vol. 21, No. 5, pp. 474-483. https://doi.org/10.7837/kosomes.2015.21.5.474
- Sunlu, F. S., B. Kutlu and H. B. Buyukisik(2010), Comparison of growth kinetics of Chaetocers gracilis isolated from two different areas in the Aegean Sea (The Bay of Izmir and the Homa Lagoon), Journal of Animal and Veterinary Advances, Vol. 9, pp. 1796-1803. https://doi.org/10.3923/javaa.2010.1796.1803
- Taylor C. T., C. J. Gobler and S. A. Sanudo-Wilhelmay(2006), Speciation and concentrations of dissolved nitrogen as determinants of brown tide Aureococcus anophagefferens bloom initiation, Marine Ecology Progress Series Vol. 312, pp. 67-74. https://doi.org/10.3354/meps312067
- Tomas, C. R.(1997), Identifying marine phytoplankton, Academic Press, London, p. 858.
- Werner, D.(1997), The biology of diatoms, Blackwell Scientific Publications, p. 469.
- Worsfold, P. J., P. Monbet, A. D. Tappin, M. F. Fitzsimons, D. A. Stiles and I. D. McKelvie(2008), Characterisation and quantification of organic phosphorus and organic nitrogen components in aquatic systems: a review. Anal. Chim. Acta, Vol. 624, pp. 37-58. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aca.2008.06.016
- Zhang G., S. Liang, X. Shi and X. Han(2015), Dissolved organic nitrogen bioavailability indicate by amino acids during a diatom to dinoflagellate bloom succession in the Changjiang River estuary and its adjacent shelf, Marine and Chemistry, Vol. 176, pp. 83-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marchem.2015.08.001
Supported by : 부경대학교