- Volume 22 Issue 6
This paper presents a wind tunnel study of wind loads of the large billboard structures with two-plate and three-plate configurations. Synchronous dynamic pressures on the surfaces of plates are measured, and the characteristics of local pressures, integrated forces on each individual plate and on the overall structures are investigated. The influences of wind direction and plate configuration on wind load characteristics, and the contributions of overall crosswind load and torque to the stress responses are examined. The results showed that the wind load characteristics of windward plate in both two- and three-plate configurations are very similar. The contribution of overall crosswind load makes the total resultant force from both alongwind and crosswind loads less sensitive to wind direction in the case of three-plate configuration. The overall torque is lower than the value specified in current codes and standards, and its contribution is less significant in both two-plate and three-plate configurations.
billboards;wind loading;wind tunnel tests;wind pressures;drag force;torque
- An, S. (2009), Wind disaster vulnerability study of single-column billboard structure, Ph.D. Dissertation, Harbin Institute of Technology, Harbin. (In Chinese)
- AS/NZS 1170.0:2011 (2011), Structural Design Actions Part 2: Wind actions - Standards New Zealand, Wellington., New Zealand.
- ASCE/SEI 7-102010 (2010), Minimum design loads for buildings and other structures, American Society of Civil Engineers, Reston, VA, USA
- CECS 148:2003 (2003), Technical specification for steel structures of outdoor advertisement facility. Beijing, China.
- Davenport A.G. (1964), "Note on the distribution of the largest value of a random function with application to gust loading", Proc. Instn. Civ. Engng., 28, 187-196.
- GB50009-2012 (2012), Load Code for the Design of Building Structures, Beijing, China.
- Gu, M., Lu, W., Han, Z. and Zhou, X. (2015), "Characteristics of wind pressure distribution on large single column supported billboards", Tongji Daxue Xue bao/Journal of Tongji University, 43(3), 337-344. (In Chinese)
- Letchford, C.W. (2001), "Wind loads on rectangular signboards and hoardings", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 89, 135-151. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(00)00068-4
- Letchford, C.W. and Holmes, J.D. (1994), "Wind loads on free-standing walls in turbulent boundary layers", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 51, 1-27. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(94)90074-4
- Letchford, C.W. and Robertson, A.P. (1999), "Mean wind loading at the leading ends of free standing walls", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 79, 123-134. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(97)00292-4
- Martinez-Vazquez, P., Baker, C.J., Sterling, M., Quinn, A. and Richards, P.J. (2010), "Aerodynamic forces on fixed and rotating plate", Wind Struct., 13(2), 127-144. https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2010.13.2.127
- Meyer, D., Chowdhury, A.G. and Irwin, P. (2015), "Investigation of wind-induced dynamic and aeroelastic effects on variable message signs", Wind Struct., 20(6), 793-810. https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2015.20.6.793
- Smith, D.A., Zuo, D. and Mehta, K.C. (2014), "Characteristics of wind induced net drag force and torque on a rectangular sign measured in the field", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 130, 62-67. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2014.04.005
- Song, F. and Ou, J. (2009), "Study on the dynamic causes of damage of large billboard by typhoon", Proceedings of the 14th National Conference of Structural wind engineering, Beijing, August. (In Chinese)
- Tamura Y. and Cao, S. (2009), "Climate change and wind-related disaster risk reduction", Proceedings of the APCWE-VII, Taipei, November.
- Warnitchai, P., Sinthuwong, S. and Poemsantitham, K. (2009), "Wind tunnel model tests of large billboards", Adv. Struct. Eng., 12(1), 103-114. https://doi.org/10.1260/136943309787522650
- Zuo, D., Letchford, C.W. and Wayne, S. (2011), "Wind tunnel study of wind loading on rectangular louvered panels", Wind Struct., 14(5), 449-463 https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2011.14.5.449
- Zuo, D., Smith, D.A. and Mehta, K.C. (2014), "Experimental study of wind loading of rectangular sign structures", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 130, 62-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2014.04.005
Supported by : Tongji University, National Natural Science Foundation of China