- Volume 40 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Analysis of Properties of Fashion Trading Areas Using Network Analysis Technique
네트워크 분석 기법을 통한 패션 상권의 특성 분석
- Kim, Yunjeong (Dept. of Textiles, Merchandising, and Fashion Design, Seoul National University) ;
- Lee, Joeun (Dept. of Textiles, Merchandising, and Fashion Design, Seoul National University) ;
- Lee, Yuri (Dept. of Textiles, Merchandising, and Fashion Design, Seoul National University/Research Institute of Human Ecology, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2015.04.10
- Accepted : 2015.09.30
- Published : 2016.04.30
This research analyzed characteristic changes in trading areas and the success factors of popular fashion trading areas (Garosu-gil, Dongdaemun, and Itaewon). This research adopts a social network analysis method to semantically analyze trading areas. Articles on the three fashion trading areas were located through KrKwic software to extract keywords and calculate word frequency. Keywords with high frequency were placed through NodeXL software to identify relationships among keywords. Researchers created a network of relationships among trading areas and between past and present of trading areas to analyze and visualize. In the past (2008-2009), the trading areas of Dongdaemun, Garosu-gil and Itaewon were placed horizontally with a limited number of shared keywords between them. However, the three trading areas retain diverse rage of keywords and an organic realtionships five years later (2013-2014). Compared to the past, all three areas see the emergence of relevant fashion keywords such as 'designer', 'design', 'brand'. Additional cultural keywords such as 'culture/art/performance', 'exhibition', and 'event' have commonly appeared and imply that related industries are an important factor as well. Fashion companies that consider evaluating areas for a new store opening need to understand the trading area characteristics and select the most suitable area. In addition, it is necessary to equip the trading area with basic fashion elements as well as relavant industry when the government tries to develop fashion trading areas.
Grant : BK21플러스
Supported by : 서울대학교
- Kim, M. M. (2015). Analysis of research trend on R&D performance using social network analysis. Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul.
- Kim, S. M. (2014, July 24). 이태원, 전통상권 '지고' 이면상권 '뜨고' [Itaewon, 'falling' traditional markets, 'emerging' hidden markets]. The bell. Retrieved October 20, 2014, from http://www.thebell.co.kr/front/free/contents/news/article_view.asp?key=201407180100033490002072
- Kim, Y. H. (2003). Social network analysis. Seoul: Parkyoungsa.
- Lee, D. H. (2012). A study on characteristics of Jisimdo based on mass media articles using social network analysis. The Journal of Korean Island, 24(4), 87-115.
- Lee, H. J. (2012, August 17). [플레이스 in 패션] 신흥 패션스트릿 '이태원'이 뜬다!...(2) [[Place in fashion] New fashion street, 'Itaewon' is emerging!...(2)]. International bnt News Korea. Retrieved October 20, 2014, from http://bntnews.hankyung.com/apps/news?popup=0&nid=02&c1=02&c2=02&c3=00&nkey=201208162146423&mode=sub_view
- Lee, J. H. (2010). A study on the policies for strengthening competitiveness of Dongdeamoon fashion market. Journal of Dstribution Rsearch, 15(5), 257-272.
- Lee, N. Y., & Ahn, J. S. (2012). Urban landscape of consumption culture on 'Garosu-gil' in Sinsa-dong, Seoul. Journal of Photo Geography, 22(3), 199-216.
- Lee, S. W. (2003). The role of commercial facilities and the utilization characteristics as urban leisure space - Focusing on the casual structure analysis of user's behavior -. Unpublished doctorial dissertation, Seoul National University, Seoul.
- Lim, M. S., Kim, D. Y., & Lee, M. K. (2010). A study on revitalization strategies for Dongdaemoon fashion retail market. Journal of Fashion Business, 14(4), 41-57.
- Lim, S. H. (2014, November 5). 디자이너들이 강북으로 향하는 이유, "지금 한남동이 '옛날 가로수길' 느낌" [The reason that designers are moving to Gangbuk, "Hannamdong follows footsteps of 'Garosu-gil'"]. Chic News. Retrieved October 20, 2014, from http://fashion.mk.co.kr/view.php?no=1390718&year=2014
- Lim, Y. S. (2013). The preference of fashion trade area in Seoul as determined by shopping orientation and purchasing product type. Unpublished master's thesis, Kyung Hee University, Seoul.
- Lim, Y. S., & Kim, M. S. (2013). The preference factors and usage levels of fashion trade area in Seoul as determined by shopping orientation. The Research Journal of Costume Culture, 21(2), 167-182. doi:10.7741/rjcc.2013.21.2.167 https://doi.org/10.7741/rjcc.2013.21.2.167
- Mitchell, J. C. (1969). Social networks in urban situations: Analyses of personal relationships in Central African towns. Manchester: Manchester University Press.
- Choi, J. J., & Choo, T. G. (2005). An exploratory study on shopping condition of Dongdaemoon shoppingmall perceived by consumers. Journal of the Korean Society for Clothing Industry, 7(3), 283-290.
- Freeman, L. C. (1978). Centrality in social networks conceptual clarification. Social Networks, 1(3), 215-239. doi:10.1016/0378-8733(78)90021-7 https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-8733(78)90021-7
- Gee, H. H. (2014, July 28). 홍대 신사 종각 등 서울 대표상권 임대료 '강세' [Retail cost is 'high'; Hongdae, Shinsa, Jongkak, etc. representative trading areas in Seoul]. Newdaily. Retrieved October 20, 2014, from http://biz.newdaily.co.kr/news/article.html?no=10043404
Han, W. S. (2013, December 17). 볼거리 뜨면
$\rightarrow$사람 모이고 $\rightarrow$카페 붐빈뒤 $\rightarrow$옷가게 뜬다 [Rising sightseeings $\rightarrow$gather people $\rightarrow$boom up cafes $\rightarrow$prosper clothing retails]. dongA.com. Retrieved October 20, 2014, from http://news.donga.com/3/all/20131216/59587628/1
- Huff, D. L. (1964). Defining and estimating a trading area. Journal of Marketing, 28(3), 34-38. doi:10.2307/1249154 https://doi.org/10.2307/1249154
- Jang, E. Y. (2015). An analysis of road shop in main fashion trade areas in Seoul: Based on trends in 2007-2014. Journal of Fashion Business, 19(1), 34-46. doi:10.12940/jfb.2015.19.1.34 https://doi.org/10.12940/jfb.2015.19.1.34
- Jeong, H. D., & Yoo, T. S. (2000). A study on consumer buying behavior according to fashion trading area. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 50(8), 165-175.
- Kim, H. Y. (2009). A study on the analysis of sharing characteristics of urban spatial data using social network analysis. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Pusan National University, Busan.
- Bell, S. J. (1999). Image and consumer attraction to intraurban retail areas: An environmental psychology approach. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 6(2), 67-78. doi:10.1016/S0969-6989(98)00015-0 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0969-6989(98)00015-0
- Cho, I. H., Park, J. Y., & Park, H. W. (2011). Microbolgging political events in South Korea: TV debate between the candidates in the Seoul mayor election. The Journal of Society for Humanities Studies in East Asia, 19, 323-359.
- Kim, J. E., Kim, J. N., Kim, H. J., Jung, J. W., Choi, E. J., & Cho, K. J. (2010). 설계, 역사: 이태원 경관 읽기 [Plan, history: Itaewon landscape]. Preceedings of the Korean Institute of Landscape Architecture, Spring Conference, Korea, 2010(0), 141-145.
- Kim, K. A., & Yoo, T. S. (1999). An analysis of fashion life style and purchasing type for the consumer, according to fashion trade area - Focused on Taegu fashion trade area -. Journal of Fashion Business, 3(3), 1-14.
- Kim, K. M. (2014, February 11). (숨은 알짜 상권) 명동.강남역보다 신촌.이태원권리금으로 본 숨은 알짜 상권 [(Hidden prime trading area) Better real estate in Shinchon.Itaewon rather than Myoung-dong.Gangnam]. MK News. Retrieved October 20, 2014, from http://news.mk.co.kr/newsRead.php?year=2014&no=218771
- Park, J. S., & Lee, Y. R. (2014). Exploring fashion trends using network analysis. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 38(5), 611-626. doi:10.5850/JKSCT.2014.38.5.611 https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2014.38.5.611
- Peterson, R. A. (1974). Trade area analysis using trend surface mapping. Journal of Marketing Research, 11(3), 338-342. doi:10.2307/3151157 https://doi.org/10.2307/3151157
- Shim, S. H., & Han, J. E. (2006). The landscapes of consumption cultures of Apgujeong-dong and Cheongdam-dong in Seoul. Journal of the Korean Urban Geographical Society, 19(1), 61-79.
- Son, J. A. (2001). Consumer segmentation according to trade area selection criteria of clothing. Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul National University, Seoul.
- Stanley, T. J., & Swell, M. A. (1976). Image inputs to a probabilistic model: Predicting retail potential. Journal of Marketing, 40(3), 48-53. doi:10.2307/1249994 https://doi.org/10.2307/1249994
- Yoon, N. H., & Park, K. A. (2002). The effect of retail area and shopping mall images on consumer behaviors. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 26(7), 1005-1014.
- Yu, J. H., & Im, S. K. (2014). The commercial status of Myeongdong fashion and its development strategy for sustainable growth from the perspective of fashion business owners. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 22(1), 86-98. doi:10.7741/rjcc.2014.22.1.086 https://doi.org/10.7741/rjcc.2014.22.1.086
- Oh, J. G., & Choi, J. H. (2013). Sense of the urban space - A semiologic analysis of the urban space Itaewon -. Semiotic Inquiry, 36, 137-173.
- Park, H. Y., Lee, H. R., Kim, D. K., & Song, S. Y. (2014). Analyzing newspaper editorials on a Mega-event by using semantic network analysis - Focus on the Expo 2012 Yeosu Korea -. Journal of Tourism Sciences, 38(1), 179-199.
- Ko, B. S. (2014, November 28). 가로수길, 강남 대표상권 등극 [Garosu-gil became representative trading area of Gangnam]. The bell. Retrieved October 20, 2014, from http://www.thebell.co.kr/front/free/contents/news/article_view.asp?key=201411240100044540002849
- Thermo-physiological Responses by Presence of Vents and Difference in Clothing Length for Construction Site Working Clothes vol.20, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2018.20.2.202