- Volume 40 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Clothing Norms & Conflict of 20·30s Women in Work Place -Focus on Types of Work Places-
한국 20·30대 여성의 직장 복식규범과 갈등 -직장의 유형에 따른 현황조사를 중심으로-
Kim, Tae Eun;Ha, Jisoo
- Received : 2015.10.02
- Accepted : 2015.11.07
- Published : 2016.04.30
This study examined the fashion culture of 20-30s working women through clothing norm relationships in the workplace. A literature research was conducted along with qualitative research, in-depth interviews in order to understand the domestic working environment and fashion culture such as lifestyle and consumer culture characteristics of 20-30s working women. The results were: First, it showed that the increased number of members having various inclinations caused subcultures through an increase of women's economic activities and transition to a knowledge-information society in domestic work places that changed into a business casual that recognized employees' autonomy and diversity. Second, in the working place, clothing norms coexist as stipulated by statutes, company rules, and official documents as well as others implied by experiences of sanction against members. Workplace closing norms are classified into norms of exposure that draw attention to clothes and casual clothes. Third, it showed that factors pressuring clothing norms are classified as external pressures and by spontaneous self-censorship that cause conflict and confusion with working women's fashion according to the degree of pressure. Two kinds of pressure by others (or types of departments and members) were observed.
Clothing norm;20.30s working women;Work place fashion culture;Normative conflict
- Choi, J. W. (2003). A study of the workers life styles of working five days per work and clothing consumption behavior. Unpublished master's thesis, Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
- Choi, J. W., & Jung, B. K. (2004). The new business wear trend based the preference tendency of business women. Journal of Korean Traditional Costume, 7(3), 89-98.
- Chung, E. S. (2000). Clothes selection in accordance with job characteristic and working place situation of a professional women in industry. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
- Freeburg, B. W., & Workman, J. E. (2010). A method to identify and validate social norms related to dress. Clothing & Textiles Research Journal, 28(1), 38-55. doi:10.1177/0887302X08327452 https://doi.org/10.1177/0887302X08327452
- Gu, M. Y. (2006). A study on leisure practices and leisure satisfaction among unmarried employees on their twenties or thirties. Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul.
- Johnson, R. B., & Onwuegbuzie, A. J. (2004). Mixed methods research: A research paradigm whose time has come. Educational Researcher, 33(7), 14-26. doi:10.3102/0013189X033007014 https://doi.org/10.3102/0013189X033007014
- Kang, H., & Koo, J. (1989). The evaluative criteria of women clerical workers in business clothing selection. Yonsei Journal of Euthenics, 3, 23-33.
- Kang, J. Y. (2012, November 16). 직장인 절반 "회사에 복장 규제 있다" [Half of the workers said "The company has the dress regulations"]. KizMom. Retrieved May 11, 2013, from http://kizmom.hankyung.com/news/apps/news.sub_view?popup=0&nid=03&c1=03&c2=02&c3=00&nkey=201211160911351
- Kim, E. J. (2010). A study on the lifestyle and consumption behavior of unmarried female consumers who have careers. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Kim, I. S. (1995). A study on the age role norm of skirt length. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 19(4), 580-589.
- Kim, J. S., Kim, H. Y., Kim, N. J., & Nam, J. R. (2007). 대졸 여성 청년층 노동시장 구조파악과 정책과제 [Female college youth labor market structure and identify policy issues]. Seoul: Korea Women's Development Institute Reports.
- Kim, S. Y., & Cho, P. G. (1988). A study on the relationship between clothing selection behavior and personal variables of adult women. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 12(2), 159-168.
- Lee, M. A. (2010). Comparative study between married and unmarried women on consumption values and clothing benefits-Focusing on working women in their 20's and 30's-. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 34(5), 808-818. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2010.34.5.808
- Lee, S. S., Kim, S. W., Ryu, M. H., & No, Y. L. (2010). Consumption society & consumption culture. Seoul: Shinjung.
- Lee, Y. J. (2007). High school students' preference for teachers' clothing behaviors. Unpublished master's thesis, Kumoh National Institute of Technology, Gumi.
- Maysonave, S. (1999). Casual power: How to power up your nonverbal communication and dress down for success. Austin, TX.: Bright Books.
- Ministry of Environment. (2013). 쿨맵시 드레스코드 가이드북 [Cool mapsi dress code guidebook]. Gwacheon: Author.
- Mo, H. J. (2007). The politics of consumption of single career women in their 20s and 30s with advanced degrees. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Nam, H. K., Mun, J. I., Yang, J. S., Kim, K. H., Kim, H. J., & Sung, J. M. (2011). 2030 청년백서 [2030 Youth white paper]. Seoul: Office of the Minister for Special Affairs.
- Park, K. S. (2007). A study on the relationship between clothing selecting motivations for self-lmage management and interpersonal relations deposition. Unpublished master's thesis, Korea International Culture University of Graduate, Cheongyang.
- Rabolt, N. J., & Drake, M. F. (1985). Reference person influence on career women's dress. Clothing & Textiles Research Journal, 3(2), 11-19. doi:10.1177/0887302X8500300202 https://doi.org/10.1177/0887302X8500300202
- Statistics Korea. (2012). Annual report on the economically active population survey. Daejeon: Author.
- Differences in Appearance Management Behavior according to Occupational Characteristics and Demographic Characteristics of Workers vol.67, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.7233/jksc.2017.67.2.017
Grant : BK21플러스
Supported by : 서울대학교