- Volume 40 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Meaning Transfers Depending on Personality Type -Focusing on TV Beauty Programs-
소비자 성격유형에 따른 의미전이 -TV 뷰티프로그램을 중심으로-
Ahn, Suh Young;Kim, Yirang;Koh, Ae-Ran
- Received : 2016.01.18
- Accepted : 2016.03.21
- Published : 2016.04.30
This study explores 1) the cultural meanings that television beauty programs deliver, 2) the ways consumers consume TV beauty programs, and 3) the differences in the meaning of television beauty programs according to personality types. An Enneagram was used to define different personality types. The Enneagram explained personalities according to underlying core energies and was useful to grasp consumer behavior. Exploratory data were collected through in-depth interviews of fifteen women in their twenties who watched television beauty programs regularly. The personality types were classified according to three core energies: head-centered, heart-centered, or body-centered. The results were: First, television beauty programs were celebrity-focused, product-focused, and consumer-focused. They were found to help consumers improve their appearance in an appearance-oriented contemporary society by sharing appearance management information. Second, consumers consumed the products from television beauty programs as well as sought a "beautifully transformed self". Third, cultural meanings moved first from a culturally-constituted world to consumer goods through television beauty programs that then moved these goods to the individual consumer through symbolic consumption behavior along with grooming rituals, evaluation practices, appreciation practices, and accounting practices. Symbolic consumption behavior differed with personality type: heartcentered consumers transferred meaning through grooming rituals and appreciation practices, head-centered consumers through evaluation practices, and body-centered consumers through accounting practices.
Television beauty program;Meaning transfer;Personal type;Enneagram
- An, J. A., & Nam, K. H. (2014). A study on the factors influencing the effects of beauty program's PPL. A Journal of Brand Design Association of Korea, 12(2), 233-250. https://doi.org/10.18852/bdak.2014.12.2.233
Bargh, J. A., Lombardi, W. J., & Higgins, E. T. (1988). Automaticity of chronically accessible constructs in person
$\times$situation effects on person perception: It's just a matter of time. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 55(4), 599-605. doiI:10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.119 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1689
- Bordo, S. (2003). Unbearable weight (O. B. Park, Trans.). Seoul: Tomoon. (Original work published 1993)
- Choi, J. H. (2014, January 15). 화장품 업계 '진정성' 마케팅이 대세? [Cosmetics industry 'Authenticity' the new trend?]. Beauty Hankook. Retrieved April 13, 2015, from http://www.beautyhankook.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=16928
- Chun, S. Y. (2013). Development and validation of the clothing consumption attitude type indicator: Enneagram personality typology approach. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Go, A., Yoon, M. Y., Cha, S. H., Kim, K. M., & Loubane, I. (2013). The impact of celebrity endorser's twitter advertising messages on brand attitude and brand credibility. The Korean Journal of Advertising, 24(1), 271-296.
- Holt, D. B. (1995). How consumers consume: A typology of consumption practices. Journal of Consumer Research, 22(1), 1-16. doi:10.1086/209431 https://doi.org/10.1086/209431
- Hong, S. T. (1999). An empirical study on the differences in consumer' behavior by their psychological types. Journal of Consumer Studies, 10(4), 1-22.
- Hwang, K. R. (2005). 에니어그램을 활용한 부모교육프로그램이 부모양육태도에 미치는 효과 [The effects of parent education program using Enneagram on parenting attitude]. The Korean Society for Enneagram, 2(2), 91-122.
- Isaacs, A., & Fudjack, J. (1996). Demographic data results: The Enneagram and MBTI comparison chart. Enneagram Monthly, 15, 12-13.
- Jung, H. S. (2005). Research on the motives and gratifications of viewers of fashion and beauty related cable TV programs. Unpublished master's thesis, Chung-Ang University, Seoul.
- Kahng, H. W., Lee, K. S., Koh, A. R., Chung, M. S., & Nam, M. W. (2012). 의상사회심리학 [The social psychology of clothing]. Seoul: Gyomoon publishers.
- Kang, M. J. (2003). The meaning of consumption object and the meaning transfer process. Journal of International Management, 18, 181-223.
- Kim, J. M. (2014). Study on the comparison of view point of Enneagram: Center of intelligence group, hornevian group, harmonic group. The Journal of Enneagram Consilience Research, 2(1), 5-30.
- Kim, J. S. (2005). The effect of make-up on the self-concept in the female college students. Journal of the Korean Society for Clothing Industry, 7(6), 633-640.
- Kim, J. Y. (2013, September 2). '명품도 재조명'... 똑똑해진 케이블 TV 뷰티 프로그램 ['Re-focusing even on luxuries'... Smart beauty programs on cable TV channels]. SBS funE. Retrived April 13, 2015, from http://etv.sbs.co.kr/news/news_content.jsp?article_id=E10004531637
- Kim, M. J., Lee, K. Y., Kang, H. Y., & Yang, E. J. (2013). Study on the product's wanna-be phenomenon of customer affected by television beauty program. Journal of the Korean Beauty Art Society, 7(3), 421-429.
- Kim, Y. G. (2015, November 9). '여자는 무조건 날씬해야'... 외모지상주의에 아이들 살빼기 고통 ['Women must be Skinny'... Children in prey of lookism]. Yonhap News. Retrieved January 14, 2016, from http://www.yonhapnews.co.kr/bulletin/2015/11/08/0200000000AKR20151108044600009.HTML?input=1195m
- Kleine III, R. E., & Kernan, J. B. (1991). Contextual influences on the meanings ascribed to ordinary consumption objects. Journal of Consumer Research, 18(3), 311-324. doi:10.1086/209262 https://doi.org/10.1086/209262
- Kwon, I. H., & Kim, D. Y. (1994). A study on advertising effects of celebrity endorser-Product differences & individual differences-. The Korean Journal of Advertising, 5(1), 35-46.
- Lapid-Bogda, G. (2010). Bringing out the best in everyone you coach: Use the Enneagram system for exceptional results. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.
- Lapid-Bogda, G. (2012). The Enneagram development guide. California, CA: Enneagram Press.
- Lee, G. W. (2015, February 23). 한국 화장품은 왜 세계인의 애호상품이 됐을까 [How Korean cosmetics came to be globally loved]. BusinessPost. Retrieved February 23, 2016, from http://www.businesspost.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=9788
- Lee, H. O. (2006). A study on the motives of women's appearance-management behavior - Focusing on plastic surgery and obesity treatment -. Journal of the Korean Society for Clothing Industry, 8(1), 113-122.
- Lee, J. Y., & Park, H. J. (2013). Effects of self-esteem, physical appearance comparison, and media concern on sociocultural attitude toward appearance, body attitudes, and life satisfaction. Journal of the Korea Fashion & Costume Design Association, 15(3), 1-17.
- Lee, M. A., Rhee, E. Y., & Kim, R. D. (2008). Cultural meaning and ritual behaviors in symbolic consumption process of fashion products - Focused on Nike mania consumers -. Journal of Consumption Culture, 11(2), 149-173.
- Ma, Y. J., & Koh, A. R. (2001). A study on evaluation of salesperson's service and purchase behavior as related to customer's personality type. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 25(6), 1155-1166.
- McCracken, G. (1986). Culture and consumption: A theoretical account of the structure and movement of the cultural meaning of consumer goods. Journal of Consumer Research, 13(1), 71-84. https://doi.org/10.1086/209048
- McCracken, G. (1989). Who is the celebrity endorser? Cultural foundations of the endorsement process. Journal of Consumer Research, 16(3), 310-321. https://doi.org/10.1086/209217
- Mehmetoglu, M. (2012). Personality effects on experiential consumption. Personality and Individual Differences, 52(1), 94-99. doi:10.1016/j.paid.2011.09.008 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2011.09.008
- Moon, J. W. (2016, January 4). 2016년 국내 화장품 산업 '고성장 지속' [Cosmetics market will 'sustain high growth'n 2016]. WOWTV. Retrived January 13, 2016, from http://www.wowtv.co.kr/newscenter/news/view.asp?artid=A201601040012
- Nam, K. H., & An, J. A. (2014). The effects of beauty program characteristics on the viewers' response. Journal of Korea Design Forum, 43, 279-297.
- Pace, V. L., & Brannick, M. T. (2010). How similar are personality scales of the "same" construct? A meta-analytic investigation. Personality and Individual Differences, 49(7), 669-676. doi:10.1016/j.paid.2010.06.014 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2010.06.014
- Park, E. A. (2003). Cross-cultural study of the effect of bodyesteem to subjective well-being: Korean and U.S. female college students. Korean Journal of Psychology: General, 22(2), 35-56.
- Rhee, Y. J., & Lim, S. J. (2002). The effect of body cathexis, weight control behavior on clothing behavior. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 26(2), 1491-1501.
- Rhodes, S. (2009). The positive Enneagram: A new approach to the nine personality types. Seattle, WA: Geranium Press.
- Riso, D. R., & Hudson, R. (1999). The wisdom of the Enneagram. New York, NY: Bantam Books.
- Ryu, J. Y. (2013, May 31). 여성 시청자 72.4%, 뷰티 프로그램 소개 제품 구입 경험 [72.4% of female viewers have purchased products introduced in beauty pprograms]. ACROFAN. Retrived April 13, 2015, from http://www.acrofan.com/ko-kr/consumer/news/20130531/00000017
- Shin, K. R. (2004). 질적 연구 방법론 [Qualitative research methods]. Seoul: Ewha Womans University Press.
- Sohn, Y. K. (2014). A study on the advertising effects of celebrity endorser in Korea a metal-analytic review. The Korean Journal of Advertising and Public Relations, 16(2), 183-220.
- Solomon, M. R. (1983). The role of products as social stimuli: A symbolic interactionism perspective. Journal of Consumer Research, 10(3), 319-329. doi:10.1086/208971 https://doi.org/10.1086/208971
- Yoo, H. J., & Song, E. G. (2008). Beauty-fashion program of CATV audiences' consumption stories by a narrative analysis. Korean Journal of Human Ecology, 17(1), 57-80. https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2008.17.1.057
- Youn, Y., & Youn, Y. S. (2009). A research on centers of energy of Enneagram and consumer decision making processes. Journal of Ennegram Studies, 6(2), 133-156.
Supported by : 한국연구재단