- Volume 28 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
An Experimental Study on Pool Boiling Heat Transfer Enhancement of Structured Tubes Having Three-Dimensional Roughness
삼차원 조도를 가진 성형가공관의 R-134a 풀비등 열전달 촉진에 관한 실험적 연구
- Received : 2016.03.12
- Accepted : 2016.04.14
- Published : 2016.05.10
Enhanced tubes are widely used in air-conditioning and process industries. Structural tubes having three-dimensional roughness are well known to be able to significantly enhance pool boiling heat transfer of refrigerants. In this study, five structural enhanced tubes having different fin density, fin height, and fin gap width were tested using R-134a. Results showed that the heat transfer coefficient was increased with increased fin density. Within test range, the effect of fin height on pool boiling heat transfer coefficient was insignificant. The heat transfer coefficients of the optimum configuration (2047 fpm, 0.21 mm gap width) tube were lower than those of other commercial enhanced tubes. This might be due to the larger fin gap width of the present enhanced tube.
Structured tube;Heat transfer enhancement;Pool boiling;Three-dimensional roughness;R-134a
- http//industrytoday.co.uk/market-research-industry-to day.
- Webb, R. L. and Kim, N. H., 2005, Principles of Enhanced Heat Transfer, 2nd ed., Taylor and Francis Pub.
- Thome, J. R., 1990, Enhanced Boiling Heat Transfer, Hemisphere Pub.
- Webb, R. L. and Pais, C., 1992, Nucleate pool boiling data for five refrigerants on plain, integral-fin and enhanced tube geometries, Int. J. Heat Mass Trans., Vol. 35, No. 8, pp. 1893-1904.
- Yilmaz, S. and Westwater, J. W., 1981, Effect of commercial enhanced surfaces on the boiling heat transfer curve, in Advances in Enhanced Heat Transfer, R. L. Webb, T. C. Carnavos, E. F. Park and K. M. Hostetler, eds., ASME Symp., Vol. HTD-18, pp. 73-92.
- Chien, L.-H. and Webb, R. L., 1998, Parametric studies of nucleate pool boiling on structured surfaces, Part II : Effect of pore diameter and pore pitch, J. Heat Transfer, Vol. 120, pp. 1048-1054.
- Chien, L.-H. and Webb, R. L., 2001, Effect of geometry and fluid property parameters on performance of tunnel and pore enhanced boiling surfaces, J. Enhanced Heat Transfer, Vol. 8, pp. 329-340. https://doi.org/10.1615/JEnhHeatTransf.v8.i5.40
- Nakayama, W., Daikoku, T., Kuwahara, H. and Nakajima, T., 1980, Dynamic model of enhanced boiling heat transfer on porous surfaces, Part I : Experimental investigation, J. Heat Transfer, Vol. 102, pp. 445-450. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3244320
- Nakayama, W., Daikoku, T., and Nakajima, T., 1982, Effect of pore diameter and system pressure on saturated nucleate pool boiling heat transfer from porous surfaces, J. Heat Transfer, Vol. 104, pp. 286-291. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3245085
- Ayub, A. H. and Bergles, A. E., 1988, Pool boiling enhancement of a modified Gewa-T surface in water, J. Heat Transfer, Vol. 110, pp. 266-267. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3250465
- Wang, C.-C., Hsieh, W.-Y., Yang, C.-Y., Li, C., and Chang, Y.-J., 1998, Nucleate boiling performance of R-22, R-123, R-134a, R-410A and R-407C on smooth and enhanced tubes, ASHRAE Trans., Vol. 104, Pt. 1, pp. 1314-1321.
- Kim, N.-H. and Choi, K.-K., 2001, Nucleate pool boiling on structured enhanced tubes having pores with connecting gaps, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, Vol. 44, pp. 17-28. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0017-9310(00)00096-X
- Jung, D., An, K., and Park, J., 2004, Nucleate boiling heat transfer coefficients of HCFC22, HEC134a, HEC125 and HFC32 on various enhanced tubes, Int. J. Refrig., Vol. 27, pp. 202-206. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-7007(03)00124-5
- Yang, C.-Y. and Fan, C.-F., 2006, Pool boiling of refrigerants R-134a and R-404Q on porous and structured tubes, Part II : Heat transfer performance, J. Enhanced Heat Transfer, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 85-97. https://doi.org/10.1615/JEnhHeatTransf.v13.i1.60
- Ribatski, G. and Thome, J. R., 2006, Nucleate boiling heat transfer of R-134a on enhanced tubes, Applied Thermal Eng., Vol. 26, pp. 1018-1031. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2005.09.021
- Gory, E. and Eckels, S., 2012, Local heat transfer coefficient for pool boiling of R-13a and R-123 on smooth and enhanced tubes, Int. J. Heat Mass Trans., Vol. 55, pp. 3021-3028. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2012.02.012
- Chen, T., 2013, An experimental investigation of nucleate boiling heat transfer from an enhanced cylindrical surface, Applied Thermal Eng., Vol. 59, pp. 355-361. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2013.05.033
- Rooney, E. and Thome, J. R., 2013, Pool boiling data and prediction method for enhanced boiling tubes with R-134a, R-236fa and R-1234ze(E), Int. J. Refrig., Vol. 36, pp. 447-455. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrefrig.2012.11.023
- Lee, Y., Kang, D. K., Kim, J. H. and Jung, D., 2014, Nucleate boiling heat transfer coefficients of HFO 1234yf on various enhanced surfaces, Int. J. refrig., Vol. 38, pp. 198-205. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrefrig.2013.09.014
- Tarrad, A. H. and Burnside, B. M., 1993, Pool boiling tests on plain and enhanced tubes using a wide boiling range mixture, Exp. Heat Transfer, Vol. 6, pp. 83-96. https://doi.org/10.1080/08916159208945371
- Mertz, R. Kulenovic, R., Chen, Y. and Groll, M., 2002, Pool boiling of butane from enhanced evaporator tubes, Heat Transfer 2002, Proc. 12th Heat Transfer Conf., Vol. 3, pp. 629-634.
- Chen, Y., Groll, M., Mertz, R., and Kulenovic, R., 2005, Pool boiling heat transfer of propane, isobutane and their mixtures on enhanced tubes with reentrant channels, Int. J. Heat Mass Trans., Vol. 48, pp. 2310-2322. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2004.10.037
- Bergles, A. E. and Chyu. M. C., 1982, Characteristics of nucleate pool boiling from porous metallic coatings, J. Heat Transfer, Vol. 104, pp. 279-285. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3245084
- Kline, S. J. and McClintock, F. A., 1953, The description of uncertainties in single sample experiments, Mechanical Engineering, Vol. 75, pp. 3-9.
- Imadomeju, H. E., Hong, K. T. and Webb, R. L., 1995, Pool boiling of R-11 refrigerant and water on oxidized enhanced tubes, J. Enhanced Heat Transfer, Vol. 2, No. 3, pp. 189-198. https://doi.org/10.1615/JEnhHeatTransf.v2.i3.20
- Cooper, M. G., 1982, Correlations for nucleate boiling-formulation using reduced properties, Physico Chemical Hydrodynamics, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 89-111.