- Volume 17 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Deep-sea floor exploration in the East Sea using ROV HEMIRE
무인잠수정 해미래 활용 동해 저서환경 심해탐사
Min, Won-Gi;Kim, Jonguk;Kim, Woong-Seo;Kim, Dong-Sung;Lee, Pan-Mook;Kang, Jung-Hoon
- Received : 2016.03.02
- Accepted : 2016.04.07
- Published : 2016.04.30
HEMIRE is a 6,000-meter-class remotely operated vehicle (ROV) that has been developed for observation and sampling of objects of interest on the deep seabed. We first carried out deep-seabed exploration around the slopes of the Hupo Bank and the Ulleung Basin in the East Sea in June 2015. Over two weeks, a total of 10 dives were made from a support ship, the R/V Onnuri, at eight stations with water depth ranging between 194 and 2,080 m. The dive times ranged from 1 to 6 hours, depending on the operating conditions. We obtained the following results: 1) video images of the deep seafloor; 2) red snow crab density data (a major fishery resource) and inventories of deep-sea fauna, including an unrecorded organism; 3) specific topographies such as canyons slopes; 4) an undisturbed sediment core obtained using a push corer; and 5) observations of the seabed surface covered with discarded anthropogenic waste material.
- Ministry of Education, Science and Technology, East sea/Dokdo Marine Science Program, Ministry of Education, Science and Technology, p.3-9, 2009.
- Peter Herring, The Biology of the Deep Ocean, p.1-26, Oxford University Press, 2002.
- W. Kim, Endless scientific exploration of a mysterious deep-sea, Sci. Technol. (7), pp.69-73, 2007.
- S. Jin, S. Lim, S. Park, S. Yoo, Measuring the Scientific Benefits from the Deep-sea Human-operated Vehicle Project: A Choice Experiment Study, Ocean and Polar Res., 36(3), pp.277-288, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4217/OPR.2014.36.3.277 https://doi.org/10.4217/OPR.2014.36.3.277
- Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries, Development of deep-sea manned Submersible, pp.25-219, 2014.
- P. Lee, Y. Seo, Development of 6k class deep-sea ROV 'Hemire' and "Henubi", World of Electricity, 55(3), pp. 20-24, 2006.
- P. Lee, Discovering undersea world below 11,782 m, Sci. Technol., 7, pp.74-79, 2007.
- S. Yoo, D. Jung, S. Park, The economic impacts of pacific ocean deep-sea manganese nodule development project, Ocean and Polar Res., 32(4), pp.489-499, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4217/OPR.2010.32.4.489 https://doi.org/10.4217/OPR.2010.32.4.489
- Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries, Development of overseas marine bioresources and a system for their utilization, 341p, Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries, 2014.
- Korea Ocean Research & Development Institute, Study for International Collaboration Work of Hydrothermal Vent Community, 370p, Korea Ocean Research & Development Institute, 2002.
- H. Baek, B. Jun, G. Choi, P. Lee, A Case Study on the Operation Strategy of Hemire from the Analysis of Deep-Sea ROV Operations, Abstract book of The Korean Society for Marine Environment & Energy, pp.1723-1729, 2012.
- K. Fujikura, T. Okutani, T. Maruyama, Deep-Sea Life - Biological Observations Using Research Submersibles, 487p, Tokai University Press, 2008.
- Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries, Establishment of management system for ocean dumping waste [III], 1242p, Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries, 2006.
- Maria R Cunha (eds), 14th deep-sea biology symposium abstract book, 367p, Universidade de Aveiro, 2015.
- Operational Improvement of Hemire ROV for Deep-sea Survey and Application to Exploration of Ferromanganese Crusts of Western Pacific Seamount vol.32, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.26748/KSOE.2018.6.32.4.287
Grant : 심해 유무인 잠수정 기술개발 및 운용인프라 구축