- Volume 17 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Flow characteristics analysis and test in the Pelton turbine for pico hydro power using surplus water
잉여 유출수를 이용한 소수력발전용 수차의 유동특성 해석 및 시험
Jeong, Seon Yong;Lee, Kye Bock
- Received : 2016.01.20
- Accepted : 2016.04.07
- Published : 2016.04.30
Computational fluid numerical analysis using the commercial code CFX was performed to develop a Pelton turbine for a pico hydro power generator using the circulating water of a cooling tower in a large building. The performance of the Pelton turbine was examined for different design factors, such as the bucket shape, in which the Pelton wheel was connected in an appropriate manner to the pipe section, and the number of buckets in order to find the optimal design of Pelton turbine for a pico hydro power using surplus water. A benchmark test was carried out on the manufactured small scale Pelton turbine to validate the design method of the Pelton turbine by numerical analysis. The results obtained by comparing the flow characteristics and power output measured using the ultrasonic flowmeter, the pressure transducer and the oscilloscope with the numerical results confirmed the validity of the analytical design method. The possibility of developing Pelton turbines for kW class pico hydro power generators using surplus water with an average circulation velocity of 1.2 m/s for the chosen bucket shape and number of buckets in a 30 m high building was confirmed.
Hydro power;Numerical analysis;Pelton turbine;Surplus water;Test
- Y. C. Hwang and Y. D. Choi, "Construction of Marine Small Hydro Power Plant using Discharge Water of Fish Farm," J. of Fluid Machinery, Vol. 16, No. 5, pp. 11-17, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5293/kfma.2013.16.5.011 https://doi.org/10.5293/kfma.2013.16.5.011
- S. E. Park and H. W. Roh, "The Study on Design of the 5kW Class Inline Micro-Turbine," J. of Fluid Machinery, Vol. 15, pp. 32-38, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5293/kfma.2012.15.3.032 https://doi.org/10.5293/kfma.2012.15.3.032
- A. Panthee, H. P. Neopane and B. Thapa,"CFD Analysis of Pelton Runner," International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, Vol. 4, No. 8, pp. 1-6, 2014.
- S. Pudasaini, H. P. Neopane, A. Panthee, A. Pathak and B. B. Chaudhary, "Computational Fluid Dynamics analysis of Pelton runner of Khimti Hydro-Power Project of Nepal", Rentech Symposium Compendium, 4, pp. 91-94, 2014.
- A. Perrig, F. Avellan, J. L. Kueny, M. Farhat, E. Parkinson, " Flow in Pelton Turbine Bucket: Numerical and Experimental Investigations," Journal of fluids engineering, Transactions of the ASME, Vol. 128, No. 2, pp. 350-357, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1115/1.2170120 https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2170120
- A. Sharma, P. Sharma and A. Kothari, " Numerical Simulation of Pressure Distribution in Pelton Turbine Nozzle for the Different Shapes of Spear, International Journal of Innovations in Engineering and Technology, Vol. 1,No. 4, 2012.
- Y. D. Choi and S. W. Son, "CFD Analysis on the Performance and Internal Flow of a Micro Cross-Flow Hydro Turbine in the Range of Very Low Specific Speed," J. of Fluid Machinery, Vol. 15, No. 6, pp. 25-30, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5293/kfma.2012.15.6.025 https://doi.org/10.5293/kfma.2012.15.6.025
- S. L. Dixon, Fluid Mechanics and Thermodynamics of Turbomachinery, Butterworth Heinemann, 1998.
- B. K. Kim, "Performance Characteristics of Micro Propeller Turbine," J. of Fluid Machinery, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 25-32, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5293/kfma.2014.17.3.025 https://doi.org/10.5293/kfma.2014.17.3.025
Supported by : 충북대학교